Sacked for being 'too good looking'

PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
Forum Member
✭✭✭
A television worker claims she was sacked from her job because she was ‘too good looking’.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/tv-worker-claims-sacked-job-9852314

Emma Hulse, 24, claims production firm UNIT TV, based in Soho, told her to go home during a shift because ‘she should be on a catwalk’.

'Maybe that company employs plain looking people and maybe if you don’t look that way they don’t take you, maybe I was a distraction.’

It looks like the 'too good looking' viewpoint was solely her version of events as the company claims that the employee allegedly involved in the incident was dismissed following a three month probation period.

So maybe she was sacked for other reasons.

Who should we believe. She is obviously intelligent because her Instagram page says so. 'I have a high I.Q. To me, most people are extremely simple-minded, dull, and hopelessly caught in the trappings of everyday, boring life.' (this can't be a real account, it must be a parody of some king, right).

Anyway, I know that you are all good looking devils who post on here so i was wondering if you've ever been sacked for being just too good looking?

Comments

• FearFactorFearFactor Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good looking isn't a term I'd use to describe her from that pic in the Mirror. I wouldn't even consider her attractive tbh.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Picto wrote: »
    A television worker claims she was sacked from her job because she was ‘too good looking’.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/tv-worker-claims-sacked-job-9852314

Emma Hulse, 24, claims production firm UNIT TV, based in Soho, told her to go home during a shift because ‘she should be on a catwalk’.

'Maybe that company employs plain looking people and maybe if you don’t look that way they don’t take you, maybe I was a distraction.’

It looks like the 'too good looking' viewpoint was solely her version of events as the company claims that the employee allegedly involved in the incident was dismissed following a three month probation period.

So maybe she was sacked for other reasons.

Who should we believe. She is obviously intelligent because her Instagram page says so. 'I have a high I.Q. To me, most people are extremely simple-minded, dull, and hopelessly caught in the trappings of everyday, boring life.' (this can't be a real account, it must be a parody of some king, right).

Anyway, I know that you are all good looking devils who post on here so i was wondering if you've ever been sacked for being just too good looking?

It sounds more like she was sacked for being an irritating, supercilious nob end, rather than "too good looking". Looks fairly ordinary to me, anyway.
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure there's a lot more to life than being really, really, ridiculously good looking.
  • TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think she misinterpreted what they meant by "you should be on a catwalk". Rather than her being too attractive, I imagine they meant she was a bit of a thicko so stick to walking up and down a 10m x 3x runway and practice her 'Blue Steel' and 'Magnum'.
  • Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    The comment 'you should be on a catwalk' could mean lots of things eg
    'You're dressed unsuitably for work'
    'You spend too much time out in the ladies putting on make up, when you should be working'
    'You swan around acting as if you're too good for this place'.

I doubt they meant she was 'too good looking'.
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone like to bet that this is a publicity stunt for the start of her modelling career?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure there's a lot more to life than being really, really, ridiculously good looking.

http://butthatsnoneofmybusiness.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/142.jpg

:D:D:D
  • PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone like to bet that this is a publicity stunt for the start of her modelling career?

It does sound like it, doesn't it.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If she really thinks other people are stupid etc I'd suggest it's her personality lost her that job.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,615
    Forum Member
    I am not convinced she/he is not in drag?
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nearly every person I know who has been dismissed or let go from a company has their own version of it.

It will usually go something like 'Well, they said it was because I was always being late, but the real reason is because I was doing a better job than everyone else and they were jealous of me' etc.

Interestingly enough, though the story gives the impression she was dismissed just '5 minutes into her 8 hour shift', later in the story it says she was dismissed at the end of her 3 month probationary period.

Yep...as always there will be much more to this than is reported, but you can see the obvious angle the tabloid went for...and generously supplied with lots of pouting selfie's by the girl herself.
  • Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    She is deluded.
  • Lucy_JamesLucy_James Posts: 2,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont think it was her looks, i think it was the nails they were worried she was going to take someones eye out with them :D
  • WillpurryWillpurry Posts: 2,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FearFactor wrote: »
    Good looking isn't a term I'd use to describe her from that pic in the Mirror. I wouldn't even consider her attractive tbh.

Dating/married to Helen of Troy, are you? :)
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nearly every person I know who has been dismissed or let go from a company has their own version of it.

It will usually go something like 'Well, they said it was because I was always being late, but the real reason is because I was doing a better job than everyone else and they were jealous of me' etc.

Interestingly enough, though the story gives the impression she was dismissed just '5 minutes into her 8 hour shift', later in the story it says she was dismissed at the end of her 3 month probationary period.

Yep...as always there will be much more to this than is reported, but you can see the obvious angle the tabloid went for...and generously supplied with lots of pouting selfie's by the girl herself.
    Yes, I imagine there's a lot more to this.

Her instagram description of herself suggests she's got a big opinion of herself, a small opinion of pretty much everybody else and lives in the land of delusion.
  • Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I certainly wouldn't kick her out of bed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    muggins14 wrote: »
    Yes, I imagine there's a lot more to this.

Her instagram description of herself suggests she's got a big opinion of herself, a small opinion of pretty much everybody else and lives in the land of delusion.

Her Instagram is very telling. As well as the above, she has only 1700 followers but follows no-one, which is indicative of a very narcissistic person, i.e. she post photos and wants people to follow her but doesn't care enough about anyone else to follow them.
  • TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Is that a piece of fan art of the 10th Doctor?
  • thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The comment 'you should be on a catwalk' could mean lots of things eg
    'You're dressed unsuitably for work'
    'You spend too much time out in the ladies putting on make up, when you should be working'
    'You swan around acting as if you're too good for this place'.

I doubt they meant she was 'too good looking'.

This is exactly what I thought when I read that comment, especially after seeing her picture.

Especially since most catwalk models look nothing like that - I would say if she were to model for anything it would be a teen-girls magazine.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,615
    Forum Member
    I suspect her best view may be from the rear as she leaves the building. ;)
  • fizzycatfizzycat Posts: 6,120
    Forum Member
    Picto wrote: »

Is that a polite way of telling her she spent too much time posing and pouting when she should have been working? And constantly drew attention to how 'beautiful' (:confused:) she thinks she is?
  • jrmswfcjrmswfc Posts: 5,644
    Forum Member
    She's decent looking and attractive for sure - but "too" good looking? Nah.

I work on a University campus and could go out for a walk at lunchtime and probably see 50 more attractive girls than her.
  • mourinhosmissusmourinhosmissus Posts: 5,593
    Forum Member
    She's clearly a fantasist.
  • coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member

She was dismissed 5 minutes into her 8 hour shift, but the person who dismissed her had been there for three months so was the one kicked out by the company as they accepted that it happened as described.

The linked article is poorly written and doesn't make it clear who was on a single shift and who'd been there for three months, so I checked other articles for clarification.

For me, the fact that an individual employee who'd only been there for three months 'dismissed' her makes a big difference to the story. The guy involved does sound a bit of a sleaze with the 'you're too good looking for this, give me your phone number, and let's have a drink later' approach.
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    It sounds more like she was sacked for being an irritating, supercilious nob end, rather than "too good looking". Looks fairly ordinary to me, anyway.

:D:D:D