Medium Colin Fry died.

1235»

Comments

• Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was doing that at 14! All you needed was a copy of Parade and a lock on the bathroom door.
    Well don't leave it at that! What did they say then? :confused:

What a w**ker! :p
  • HogeyzHogeyz Posts: 1,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are some of you joking around on a death thread ? Show a bit of respect!

You mean the way he respected the dead by exploiting them for money? Why should he be afforded the respect he never showed others?
  • HogeyzHogeyz Posts: 1,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never said he took money under false pretences, you did. I 'm not certain he did. I believe he gave comfort and solace to those that sought him out and if he and they believed in what was a mutual engagement so be it. I don't believe that they would have felt victimised by him. I'm not a believer or fan but I respect those who are.

I hope the man rests in peace. Young age to die.

Just for comparison sakes.

If I were to "catfish" an old lady out of money by posing to be someone over the internet who wants to be in a longterm relationship with her, and in return from making her feel loved and fulfilled by the relationship i got her to send me money, that would be ok?

Because it's a mutual engagement, and she doesn't feel victimised by it, as Im the only one dishonest as long as she doesn't find out thats fine?
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hogeyz wrote: »

If I were to "catfish" an old lady out of money by posing to be someone over the internet who wants to be in a longterm relationship with her, and in return from making her feel loved and fulfilled by the relationship i got her to send me money, that would be ok?

Because it's a mutual engagement, and she doesn't feel victimised by it, as Im the only one dishonest as long as she doesn't find out thats fine?

To be fair to Scarlett, I do think the important part of her post is

'he and they believed'

Suggesting that if Colin 'The Trumpet' Fry truly believes in what he does (as does his 'client' ) then it is OK.

And that is a view I can understand - I know a fair few 'mediums' who completely believe they are 'special' and have 'the gift'. The dangerous psychology of that aside, they can not be called conmen/women as they believe their 'delusion'

However, I think certain incidents - especially the Trumpet incident - remove ALL doubt in rational people that Colin Fry was a huge and knowing fraud.
  • dumpty2dumpty2 Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    I was doing that at 14! All you needed was a copy of Parade and a lock on the bathroom door.

Brilliant :):):)
  • PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    batgirl wrote: »
    It definitely could. And someone is playing a trumpet.

That must be Jack then, he loved blowing his trumpet .
  • ChristopherJChristopherJ Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

...:D
  • ChristopherJChristopherJ Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why are some of you joking around on a death thread ? Show a bit of respect!

I have respect for Col's death, I just have no respect for his life.
  • vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry, don't think it's comparable whatsoever. Our opinions just differ.

You're right a heroine dealer and a 'medium' aren't comparable. After all ITV wouldn't hand over a load of dosh to a drug dealer for a show to peddle their poison. But Fry got just that. And I see from his web site he was apparently a "Reverend". To add to his scams and lies.
  • alimialimi Posts: 859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hogeyz wrote: »

Have a sad story about this, knew a lady when fostering who lost her five year old through cancer, developed mental health issues and her older two kids went into the care of social services. She tried to end her life on numerous occasions, in between the dark times she would visit spiritualist churches, focussing all her attention on contacting her lost son, she was desperate to hear that her boy was ok, while being abused and sucked in by some members of said church
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alimi wrote: »
    Have a sad story about this, knew a lady when fostering who lost her five year old through cancer, developed mental health issues and her older two kids went into the care of social services. She tried to end her life on numerous occasions, in between the dark times she would visit spiritualist churches, focussing all her attention on contacting her lost son, she was desperate to hear that her boy was ok, while being abused and sucked in by some members of said church

These so called 'mediums' are the scum of the earth - parasites feasting upon the grief and vulnerability of the bereaved for monetary gain.

That is an incredibly sad story but I expect it is quite a common one. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In life do people such as this man and others of his ilk have respect for other people's deaths? I don't think so.
  • DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    In life do people such as this man and others of his ilk have respect for other people's deaths? I don't think so.

You do know that you are discussing a man who has just died?:o

Why be so horrible? :(
  • vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Because pimping off the grief of others is horrible and that how he made his money. Any way he's not really dead... he's just (gulp) "in spirit":D
  • wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While I have every sympathy for his family & friends, I can't help but think one less parasite exploiting the grieving and the vulnerable.

Well I mean, organised religion gets a free pass to do this every day.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Because pimping off the grief of others is horrible and that how he made his money. Any way he's not really dead... he's just (gulp) "in spirit":D
    I wasn't being intentionally horrible Diamond Doll, or personal to the man but the whole concept of people like him that do the things these TV and theatre mediums do. You should understand, I'm sure you do, that many of the people that go to shows like his, especially in the theatres around the country, are often very newly bereaved people who are being preyed upon. The fact that they willingly turn up is no defence for the mediums. These people can only earn their money doing this kind of thing by tapping into and exploiting in a very cynical way the fears and desperation of somewhat emotionally vulnerable and in a lot of cases easily lead individuals.

These mediums don't seem to get much better at their craft after having done it for many years do they. They remain as vague and bland as ever with each and every performance. There are some people in life who just seem happy to be taken advantage of and walk willingly into such situations. That's their decision, it would never be mine for a moment.
  • DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    I wasn't being intentionally horrible Diamond Doll, or personal to the man but the whole concept of people like him that do the things these TV and theatre mediums do. You should understand, I'm sure you do, that many of the people that go to shows like his, especially in the theatres around the country, are often very newly bereaved people who are being preyed upon. The fact that they willingly turn up is no defence for the mediums. These people can only earn their money doing this kind of thing by tapping into and exploiting in a very cynical way the fears and desperation of somewhat emotionally vulnerable and in a lot of cases easily lead individuals.

These mediums don't seem to get much better at their craft after having done it for many years do they. They remain as vague and bland as ever with each and every performance. There are some people in life who just seem happy to be taken advantage of and walk willingly into such situations. That's their decision, it would never be mine for a moment.

OK. Thank you for your reply RT.:)
  • TrebleKingTrebleKing Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    artnada wrote: »
    Could it be a Woman who knows a Man who knew a Woman with a Man?

Who's a mum....or daughter....or maybe an auntie,,,,,perhaps a good friend?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TrebleKing wrote: »
    Who's a mum....or daughter....or maybe an auntie,,,,,perhaps a good friend?
    Someone I know of went to see a certain well known charlatan woman earlier this year at a major theatre, you probably can guess who I mean, having been taken along by a partner. I kid you not but apparently the very first thing said when the show proper began with the audience interaction was "There's a man or woman, possibly a boy or girl" so I was told. Talk about covering all bases, it's laughable.
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wilehelmas wrote: »

Not by me it doesn't.

As for Fry and total scumbags like Sally Morgan they make me puke with their faux sympathy for people's pain and grief whilst raking in the cash.
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Putting aside that we are talking about an individual conman here, not a mass of organisations and that the behaviour of one has nothing to do with the other....got to be some kind of logical fallacy there (a variation on tu quoque?)

You then have the problem with defining 'organised religion' - I've taken that to mean any organised religious group. Which are not a homogenised single entity!

Some organised religion does certainly exploit the grieving and vulnerable - I'm thinking predominantly of some of the Evangelical Churches & Money/Power Cults (like Scientology). And as these are legal (with some limits - at least in the UK) you could argue some organised religious groups are given a (almost) free pass to exploit the grieving and vulnerable. If they step over the line though - such as claiming to cure cancer with faith healing - they have broken the law and will be dealt with accordingly.

The motivation behind these groups are not altruistic - it is either knowingly trying to con people out of money or an abuse of power to prop up an ego. And are generally about the individuals at the top of the organisation - and it is an individual that I am critisising here.

However, some organised religions actually help the grieving and vulnerable. Indeed the tenants of Islam and Sikhism for example have a very strong element of charitable giving/work. The majority of the Church of England's clergy are wonderfully supportive of their congregations.

Then you have religious organisations that while in some aspects could be thought of as exploitative can have wonderfully altruistic individuals within them, such as Catholicism.

You then have conmen. Be they using religion/spirituality, pyramid schemes, 419 Scams. Which Colin 'The Trumpet' Fry was one of the most successful at exploiting the grieving and vulnerable.
  • Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member

Perhaps if more people took the piss out of the people who started those religions at the time, they never would have reached critical mass.

Why do you think the PR machine of Scientology is so quick to put great pressure on notable people/companies who mock or undermine them? Why do you think the traditional tactic of undermining UKIP by the established parties is to make fun of them?
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone try contacting him now he's on the "other side" as it were?
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently Colin Fry is scheduled to appear at a Theatre nearby in November according a brochure that just came though my door. Perhaps he will do this from the side :o