Aled's GMS RIP (Clare how dare you)

Comments

• Ramsay LaddersRamsay Ladders Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice to see you back John, we need the entertainment.

You still aren't saying what this campaign of yours is - Starting another petition?
    !

He already has!:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 323
    Forum Member
    I see you have yet to deny that you are a homophobe.

MR, for once and for all, our campaign is with the BBC.

We who try to model our lives on Jesus and what he said and did as reported in the Bible, love and pray for all our neighbours whoever and whatever they are. (That includes the Controller of Radio 2, The Head of Ethics and Religion, Aled, Clare and you)
  • Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member

MR, for once and for all, our campaign is with the BBC.

We who try to model our lives on Jesus and what he said and did as reported in the Bible, love and pray for all our neighbours whoever and whatever they are. (That includes the Controller of Radio 2, The Head of Ethics and Religion, Aled, Clare and you)

So, you're NOT denying that you made a homophobic comment about Clare Balding, which landed you a ban from this fourm?

Thanks for clearing that one up.

Presumably you also "pray" that gay people somehow be "cured" of their affliction?
    Forum Member
    Aledless GMS

What did all you Aledhaters think of the new presenters performance?

What did YOU think?
  • CMCM Posts: 33,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the grand scheme of life who's Aled.?

I'm sure he can be replaced and from what I see on morning tv wouldn't take much :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh well, that's the first show of the new Saint Aled free GMS era and the world still appears to be revolving and a quick Google doesn't give me any indication of the terrible controversy that is raging across the planet right now.

So that's that then!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/9806543/Clare-Balding-on-Good-Morning-Sunday-Radio-2-review.html
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that link, Ramsay. Some of it may be worth posting here:
    Good Morning Sunday attempts a tricky combination of across-the-board religion and soft pop music – which rather makes me feel as if I’m standing in the doorway to the multifaith prayer room at Heathrow Terminal 4, but can still hear the muzak outside. It’s a juggling act that Balding carried off this morning rather better than her predecessor, Aled Jones, who presented the programme for six years...

Balding sailed through it all with the confidence of a seasoned pro, even though this show is a new departure for her. Balding is far too human to qualify for sainthood (which, of course, is a big part of her appeal). But on this evidence, it’s certainly time for her to be beatified – perhaps even canonised – as a national treasure.
    And this from the most conservative of the quality press. I don't think the Aled fan club is going to like that.
    Forum Member
    What did YOU think?

Didn't listen, MR
  • reverse_diodereverse_diode Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Didn't listen, MR

A closed mind, I see. That's what puts me off religion.
  • Mockney-RebelMockney-Rebel Posts: 204
    Forum Member

Didn't listen, MR

Yet you have continuously denigrated and complained about Clare Balding. You've made yourself - and your campaign - look hideously stupid. Is it any wonder no one has taken you seriously?
    Forum Member
    A closed mind, I see. That's what puts me off religion.

No not at all, RD. (Welcome to the thread by the way :) )

We intend to check it out on iPlayer

So 'religious' people in your mind have 'closed' ones.

There's open minded and 'open minded'. Bet yours is just as closed in certain areas as you think ours are and possibly rightly so.

We who are Christians are happy to, even revel in - discussing comparing what makes you tick / fulfilled (or not) and the same with us. As a Christian Aled was a good example of this.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The following is an extract from a very spiteful article by an organisation called "Protect The Pope":
    The BBC have appointed Clare Balding, a non religious lesbian, to replace the Christian Aled Jones as the host of its Radio 2 religious programme, Good Morning Sunday...

It isn’t a co-incidence that BBC have appointed a prominent lesbian proponent of gay marriage just as David Cameron’s government is about to publish its same sex marriage legislation. Her interview in The Guardian with its rag bag of New Age fluff reveals how uninformed and unsuited she is to present one of the rare slots allocated by the BBC to religious broadcasting.
    The author of the piece is someone called the Rev Nick Donnelly who, apparently, is "a permanent deacon of the Diocese of Lancaster, and an author for the Catholic Truth Society. He holds a BA Divinity in Theology and is studying for his Masters at the Maryvale Institute. He is also on the Editorial Team of The Catholic Voice of Lancaster, the newspaper of the Diocese of Lancaster."

This, and some of the comments beneath the article, demonstrate unequivocally just how nasty and bigoted so-called religious people can be. It's a good thing that God doesn't exist, for if He did these people would be going straight to hell for their hatred and bigotry.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite worrying having to share a planet with those bigots.
  • Winter HillWinter Hill Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    That's disgusting - but it's more or less what John has been spouting.

We've clearly worked out John's homophobic agenda, I think we should just let him get on with it and not give him the attention he so clearly needs.

Any further comments just lets him come back with his increasingly bizarre opinions.

Clare is here, Aled is long gone.

Clare is by far the better broadcaster.

John we've all moved on.

Thank You and Good Night.
  • Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amusing to think when the OP made his initial post he was undr the impression that he was starting a movement. He probably had visions of the silent majority waking up and marching to the BBC (with him at the front), as a new Christian led era began.

Instead the only people to turn up were those to laugh at him,
    Forum Member
    Mickey S wrote: »
    The following is an extract from a very spiteful article by an organisation called "Protect The Pope":The author of the piece is someone called the Rev Nick Donnelly who, apparently, is "a permanent deacon of the Diocese of Lancaster, and an author for the Catholic Truth Society. He holds a BA Divinity in Theology and is studying for his Masters at the Maryvale Institute. He is also on the Editorial Team of The Catholic Voice of Lancaster, the newspaper of the Diocese of Lancaster."

This, and some of the comments beneath the article, demonstrate unequivocally just how nasty and bigoted so-called religious people can be. It's a good thing that God doesn't exist, for if He did these people would be going straight to hell for their hatred and bigotry.

MIckey, you might have your agenda which you may like to promote elsewhere but this thread is designed to ask the BBC Radio 2 Controller and The Head of Religion And Ethics what they were thinking of replacing Aled as the presenter of Good Morning Sunday. People may have their theories but we want it from the horses mouth, which is proving very difficult to obtain.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

MIckey, you might have your agenda which you may like to promote elsewhere but this thread is designed to ask the BBC Radio 2 Controller and The Head of Religion And Ethics what they were thinking of replacing Aled as the presenter of Good Morning Sunday. People may have their theories but we want it from the horses mouth, which is proving very difficult to obtain.

Hi John

Thanks for your welcome. As a manager, I sometimes have to move staff around for very good operational reasons. I should imagine the controller has similar considerations. It could be that Clare negotiated a radio programme on R2 as part of her contract - in which case, the controller is forced to find a suitable vacency. I still miss Terry on R2 breakfast and Chris is a little too manic for me at that time of day, however many people at work enjoy the Evan's breakfast show and I'm sure the controller made the correct decision. We have to accept R2 is a popular station and the controller will generally use presenters with a wide popular appeal. This is hard for me because I bitterly miss Johnnie Walker on breakfast cover, but things evolve - we have to move on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    We who are Christians are happy to, even revel in - discussing comparing what makes you tick / fulfilled (or not) and the same with us. As a Christian Aled was a good example of this.

Plenty of Christians who aren't wedded to mediocrity in religious programming are very pleased with the new presenter.
    Forum Member
    Hi John

Thanks for your welcome. As a manager, I sometimes have to move staff around for very good operational reasons. I should imagine the controller has similar considerations. It could be that Clare negotiated a radio programme on R2 as part of her contract - in which case, the controller is forced to find a suitable vacency. I still miss Terry on R2 breakfast and Chris is a little too manic for me at that time of day, however many people at work enjoy the Evan's breakfast show and I'm sure the controller made the correct decision. We have to accept R2 is a popular station and the controller will generally use presenters with a wide popular appeal. This is hard for me because I bitterly miss Johnnie Walker on breakfast cover, but things evolve - we have to move on.

Thanks for that, Rev.

Nice to have a less strident and more reasonable voice here...and a more 'on topic' one.

I understand your theory but I believe many people do mistrust that expression "for operational reasons" (maybe you could expand on this in this instance?) and see it as a bit of a 'get-out'. So far as 'a suitable vacancy' is concerned why did the BBC choose to remove Aled and not someone else to create one? As a man of faith, he was uniquely suited to a programme which "discusses ethical and religious issues, with guests and spiritual music."

We have asked for answers from the powers that be but to date have only been fobbed of with words like 'refreshing' the air waves.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thanks for that, Rev.

Nice to have a less strident and more reasonable voice here...and a more 'on topic' one.

I understand your theory but I believe many people do mistrust that expression "for operational reasons" (maybe you could expand on this in this instance?) and see it as a bit of a 'get-out'. So far as 'a suitable vacancy' is concerned why did the BBC choose to remove Aled and not someone else to create one? As a man of faith, he was uniquely suited to a programme which "discusses ethical and religious issues, with guests and spiritual music."

We have asked for answers from the powers that be but to date have only been fobbed of with words like 'refreshing' the air waves.

I don't know what the operational reasons are in this case. In my job I sometimes have to move staff because they've got a personality miss-match with a customer. Anything could be the case here. Maybe Aled and the Controller fell-out, maybe Aled wanted too much cash to continue, maybe the Controller wants to shake things up. I guess we'll never know because HR or contract issues are never discussed in public. The Controller is paid to 'control' and I guess he'll continue to do that until he finds a better job or is moved because he's ineffectual (no evidence of this, despite a lot of his changes not being to my liking). I think the best you can do is give Clare a fair chance and make some constructive comments where you feel there could be improvements. You'll never get Aled reinstated because they'd have to pay off Clare's contract and look pretty stupid doing a U turn so quickly. And that's assuming he'd want to return. I can't think there has ever been an instance where a presenter has been reinstated in these circumstances?
    Forum Member

But there are striking similarities between the article Mickey posted and the views you have been expressing, so it's entirely relevant to the thread.

Now, your continual refusal to give me a straight (tee hee) answer to the question : why do you have an issue with a gay person presenting GMS?
  • BingethinkBingethink Posts: 4,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a man of faith, he was uniquely suited to a programme which "discusses ethical and religious issues, with guests and spiritual music.

Not necessarily.

You could argue that a committed Christian can't be objective regarding matters of faith.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GMS isn't a Christian programme. We all believe in something, all have faith of some sort. Clare isn't religious but it doesn't mean she cant host a programme about faith and issues. In fact she did a good job and wasn't as bland as Aled.
    Forum Member
    I don't know what the operational reasons are in this case. In my job I sometimes have to move staff because they've got a personality miss-match with a customer. Anything could be the case here. Maybe Aled and the Controller fell-out, maybe Aled wanted too much cash to continue, maybe the Controller wants to shake things up. I guess we'll never know because HR or contract issues are never discussed in public. The Controller is paid to 'control' and I guess he'll continue to do that until he finds a better job or is moved because he's ineffectual (no evidence of this, despite a lot of his changes not being to my liking). I think the best you can do is give Clare a fair chance and make some constructive comments where you feel there could be improvements. You'll never get Aled reinstated because they'd have to pay off Clare's contract and look pretty stupid doing a U turn so quickly. And that's assuming he'd want to return. I can't think there has ever been an instance where a presenter has been reinstated in these circumstances?

Thanks for the further insights into management in this 'health and safety' / 'data protection' etc.mad world that we now live in.

There is always the possibility of a precedent being set, Rev.

It looks like things are gathering momentum elsewhere I see

Please 'stay tuned'! ;)
    Forum Member
    Stil no answer then John?
This discussion has been closed.