Options

UKIP - scrap racial discrimination legislation

Comments

• Options
    laurieloulaurielou Posts: 1,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then report the company as you are being racially discriminated against. Under farages plans the company would be free to racially discriminate against you.

Yes, exactly. I'd have thought the situation described fell foul of discrimination laws, as I can't see from the info given that the situation described would be exempt.

I don't believe in discrimination or quotas, personally, including "British only" - just getting the best person for the job. So if - as I have done in the past - I have to choose between a number of candidates, including, say, a Pole, a New Zealander, a black British candidate, and a white British candidate - well, funnily enough, as long as everyone has permission to work in the country, I think I should be allowed to choose the person who fits my job requirements the best.
  • Options
    itscoldoutsideitscoldoutside Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But that's what Farage wants.

He doesn't actually want to be successful in winning terms. He just wants to be the stick rattling the wasps' nest that is the current political system. He wants to do well...but not too well. Just enough to claim to have made a difference. He's perfectly happy to have any nutter and their mother in the UKIP fold as it keeps the party away from being a truly serious force.

Farage doesn't really want the full on scrutiny and accountability of a real politician. He's completely faux political and has got away with it for the last two decades unchallenged. He's never worked at local level and has no experience of community politics. He's for himself and his place in social history...not the voice of the people.

Buy his ticket if you want to, but I'd rather vote for people who are actully interested in doing the job.

Nigel has openly stated he will never be PM or win a significant number of seats, its no secret.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jesaya wrote: »
    Oh I don't think they need C4 for that, they do such a good job themselves.

Damage in the eyes of some.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nigel has openly stated he will never be PM or win a significant number of seats, its no secret.

I think that's a shame I'd love to see British politics shaken up. So sick of the cosy two party system with almost identical policies.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that's a shame I'd love to see British politics shaken up. So sick of the cosy two party system with almost identical policies.

I think the Tories and Labour are on the way out, slowly as voters die off over generations. Not sure who will replace them.
  • Options
    jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    Do they as an Ex Labour party member i cannot see them.

They want to lead all of them but fall into a populist agenda that is not leading but following the heard sadly.:(

I am probably one of the more unusual people on here having been a member of the Conservative, Liberal (well SDLP), Labour and now Plaid Cymru parties over the last 40 or so years. I haven't changed my views that much, but the parties have! Anyway, having been an activist in all those parties I can say that I have met many politicians who genuinely want to 'do the job' (ie serve their electorate). I have met many of course who are purely self-serving and sadly these are often (but not always) the ones who gain leadership roles. However there are MPs, even MPs I really disagree with on just about everything, who I respect for 'doing the job'.
  • Options
    jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    Damage in the eyes of some.

Yes, damage in the eyes of those who understand the law and how it is applied and don't think we should abandon anti-discrimination laws because racism isn't an issue in the UK anymore. I prefer to give my vote to someone who has at least a reasonable grip on reality.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the Tories and Labour are on the way out, slowly as voters die off over generations. Not sure who will replace them.

Labour bears no resemblance to the party my grandparents voted for.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, damage in the eyes of those who understand the law and how it is applied and don't think we should abandon anti-discrimination laws because racism isn't an issue in the UK anymore. I prefer to give my vote to someone who has at least a reasonable grip on reality.

Im not going to get into that discussion, but if you think MP's have a reasonable grip on reality when most have never done a days work in their life you are mistaken.

At least UKIP has real people, who have real life experiences, Nigel has this, has suffered illness and knows how real people work and think.

All these anti-discrimination laws do is create de facto alternative to them.
  • Options
    deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    Aside from the Romans, Saxons, Christians, Normans...

I thought they were invaders, are you saying that immigrants and invaders are the same thing?

The usual thing to do when invaders arrive is to send the army to drive them out.
  • Options
    deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boyard wrote: »
    Farage does make a very good point here about Muslim immigrants:
    There is no previous experience, in our history, of a migrant group that fundamentally wants to change who we are

The key is to make those Muslims that believe the UK will one day be an Islamic state realise that it is never going to happen and they should leave or integrate.

The only feasible way for them to achieve their dream would be by increasing their numbers. I think that eventually family size will be capped at two, via state financial support.

As for immigration, the only Muslims that will be coming here in the future will be very rich or highly skilled ones.
  • Options
    LittleGirlOf7LittleGirlOf7 Posts: 9,344
    Forum Member

Then surely you welcome UKIP being damaged and failing as it gives Farage what he wants for his political needs...notoriety without responsibility.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then surely you welcome UKIP being damaged and failing as it gives Farage what he wants for his political needs...notoriety without responsibility.

I want UKIP to get as many votes as possible, this will push the tories further to the right. It is already working.
  • Options
    LittleGirlOf7LittleGirlOf7 Posts: 9,344
    Forum Member
    I want UKIP to get as many votes as possible, this will push the tories further to the right. It is already working.

You're actually happy to be a puppet for Farage's ego? UKIP supporters are throwing their coats on puddles for a man on stilts.

Politicians are supposed to work for us, not the other way round.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    But they already do under the law.

Report the company for what? they openly advertise they want ethnic minority people.

If they say they only want ethnic minority people, then they would be breaking the law. I'm sure they don't say that.

If they say something like "we welcome applications from ethnic minorities", that's no problem.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    If they say they only want ethnic minority people, then they would be breaking the law. I'm sure they don't say that.

If they say something like "we welcome applications from ethnic minorities", that's no problem.

No they don't say that, they say we aim to recruit ethic minorities.

This puts whites at a disadvantage.

Affirmative action and all that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're actually happy to be a puppet for Farage's ego? UKIP supporters are throwing their coats on puddles for a man on stilts.

Politicians as supposed to work for us, not the other way round.

Yes, if the end goal is a stronger Conservative party, in time, this time they will lose votes due to UKIP, but by 2020 they will buck up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im not going to get into that discussion, but if you think MP's have a reasonable grip on reality when most have never done a days work in their life you are mistaken.

At least UKIP has real people, who have real life experiences, Nigel has this, has suffered illness and knows how real people work and think.

All these anti-discrimination laws do is create de facto alternative to them.

How do you discriminate between 'real life' experiences and 'not real life experiences' then?

I can tell you, I'm certainly not a fan of the Tories or David Cameron, for example (and I almost can't believe I'm going to say this) but I can see even he, with all the privilege, has had at least some difficult 'real-life experiences' - I wouldn't call his experience with the illness and death of a child not-real. Many, many people on all sides of the political debate have worked in 'real' jobs, have 'real' relationships, have 'real' families and will, through their lives, have experienced 'real' problems. There are still a number in the Labour Party, I'm sure, who will strongly object to the idea that the only people who represent the 'real' working classes are UKIP...

So I'm sorry, but that's a ridiculous assertion. What you actually mean by 'real' is "people who have the same - narrow - world-view and experience as I do."

Sod that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No they don't say that, they say we aim to recruit ethic minorities.

This puts whites at a disadvantage.

Affirmative action and all that.

Oh really?? That's odd. From a well-respected media organisation you say? Because I don't think I've ever seen that stated in an application ever....just the "we welcome applications from" as jesaya said.
  • Options
    oulandyoulandy Posts: 18,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am probably one of the more unusual people on here having been a member of the Conservative, Liberal (well SDLP), Labour and now Plaid Cymru parties over the last 40 or so years. I haven't changed my views that much, but the parties have! Anyway, having been an activist in all those parties I can say that I have met many politicians who genuinely want to 'do the job' (ie serve their electorate). I have met many of course who are purely self-serving and sadly these are often (but not always) the ones who gain leadership roles. However there are MPs, even MPs I really disagree with on just about everything, who I respect for 'doing the job'.

Did you mean one of the modern forerunners of the LibDems, the SDP (Social Democratic Party) of David Owen, Shirl the Girl and gang, or the SLD (Social and Liberal Democrats) of Paddy Pantsdown era before they dropped the Social and ended up with the LibDems?
  • Options
    BoyardBoyard Posts: 5,393
    Forum Member
    As for immigration, the only Muslims that will be coming here in the future will be very rich or highly skilled ones.

Even if Labour get in? I'm not so sure. Which is a shame because I like the party otherwise but I just don't trust them on immigration. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    laurielou wrote: »
    Oh really?? That's odd. From a well-respected media organisation you say? Because I don't think I've ever seen that stated in an application ever....just the "we welcome applications from" as jesaya said.
    Capital's police force aims to recruit more officers from ethnic minorities to tackle lack of diversity

And this was on their application form as it was on BBC Breakfast when they did it.

http://www.theguardian.com/public-leaders-network/blog/2014/feb/11/metropolitan-police-service-diversity

And the Army

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/feb/06/british-army-recruit-muslims-low-number-iraq-afghanistan
    The army is also concerned that black, Asian and other ethnic minorities are not sufficiently represented and a recruitment drive is planned for this year, with 10 events each month across the UK aimed at these groups.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    laurielou wrote: »
    How do you discriminate between 'real life' experiences and 'not real life experiences' then?

I can tell you, I'm certainly not a fan of the Tories or David Cameron, for example (and I almost can't believe I'm going to say this) but I can see even he, with all the privilege, has had at least some difficult 'real-life experiences' - I wouldn't call his experience with the illness and death of a child not-real. Many, many people on all sides of the political debate have worked in 'real' jobs, have 'real' relationships, have 'real' families and will, through their lives, have experienced 'real' problems. There are still a number in the Labour Party, I'm sure, who will strongly object to the idea that the only people who represent the 'real' working classes are UKIP...

So I'm sorry, but that's a ridiculous assertion. What you actually mean by 'real' is "people who have the same - narrow - world-view and experience as I do."

Sod that.

What are you asking here?
  • Options
    Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    This is a TERRIBLE idea on UKIP's part. It will hurt all the black and asian British people trying to get jobs (of which there are a lot, especially when you look at the young people in Birmingham and London), whilst helping all the white immigrants from the EU to get jobs.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member

Nothing illegal going on here, so not sure what the problem is.