Options

Was anyone a fan of Prisoner Cell Block H?

xblingxbling Posts: 2,041
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was and used to tape it if I went out! Don't know what appealed to me but I'm guessing if it was shown nowdays (not as repeats) I wouldn't watch.

Comments

• Options
    albundy73albundy73 Posts: 2,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Prisoner was great, I watched in on Central 1987 to 1991. I was not sure about watching again but started rewatching on DVD 2 years ago ( up to episode 210 - only watch 2 a week ) and am really enjoying watching again. It does seem a little dated now so doubt it will ever be repeated again. The DVD release is expensive but its the best way to enjoy the series again. I think the first couple of volumes have been released in the UK.
  • Options
    SoapsRmeSoapsRme Posts: 1,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oooh yes, watched it from Episode 1. It was brilliant at the beginning but I think it lost its way a bit towards the end but I still loved it.

Would love to watch it again but not sure I'd splash out on the DVDs. I don't think I'd have time to watch them all.

Was trying to think of some of the names. Bea, vinegar tits, Karen (only at the beginning I think), Lizzie, Ferguson ... oooh, what was the name of the young one? Help me out here with some more names :D
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well since you asked..... :)

Prisoners
    · Angel ?
    · Barbie Cox ("naughty-naughty", "bye-sy-bye" - apparently thicker than Pixie; we never do discover what she was guilty of but it gave all the other prisoners much amusement)
    · Bea Smith (Queen Bea)
    · Bobbie Mitchell
    · Brumby (Michelle) Tucker (prisoner at Blackmoor when Rita Conners was there) (a brumby is an Australian name for a wild or feral horse)
    · Cass Parker
    · Chrissie Latham
    · Daphne Graham (same actress as Heather the trainee officer and Pippa in Home And Away)
    · Doreen Anderson (later Doreen Burns)
    · Ettie Parslow
    · Eve Wilder
    · Faye Quinn
    · Frank Burke
    · Frankie Doyle
    · Geoff McCrae
    · Georgie ? (glue ear)
    · Harry Grosvenor (friendly with Alice)
    · Hazel Kent
    · Helen Smart
    · Mouse (Helen) Trapp (from "mouse trap")
    · Ida Brown (Rita Conners' Auntie Ida)
    · Janet Williams ("Maggot"; murders Lou Kelly)
    · Jennifer Hartley
    · Jessie Wyndham (Lexie's mother)
    · Judy Bryant
    · Julie Egbert (also called Chookie because her laugh sounded like a chicken, which is sometimes called a chook in Australia; later Julie Ryan)
    · Kath Maxwell
    · Karen Travers (later married)
    · Lexie Patterson
    · Lisa Mullins (involved with blackmailing the son of the Minister for Corrective Services)
    · Lizzie Birdsworth (old Lizzie)
    · Lori/Loreli Wilkinson
    · Lou Kelly
    · Lurch (Alice) Jenkins (from the character in The Addams Family)
    · Lyn Warner (Wonky Warner)
    · Margo Gaffney
    · Marie Winter (first encountered by Bea Smith at Barnhurst)
    · Matt Delaney
    · Maxine Daniels
    · May Collins (Auntie May)
    · Merle Jones (likes superhero comics; befriended by Kath Maxwell)
    · Minnie Donovan (led the pickpocket gang; first top dog after Bea Smith departs)
    · "Mum" Brooks
    · Myra Desmond
    · Nancy McCormack
    · Nola McKenzie
    · Noleen Burke
    · Nora Flynn
    · Paddy Lawson (claustrophobic)
    · Petra (prisoner, ex-teacher, involved with the prison doctor)
    · Pixie Mason (married six men)
    · Rabbit (Marlene) Warren (later Marlene Delaney) (from "rabbit warren")
    · Randy Goodlove (involved with Marty Jackson)
    · Reb Keene
    · Reb Keene's mother
    · Rita Conners (Rita The Beater)
    · Roach (Rachel) Walters (escapes on the boat)
    · "Roo" Morgan (top dog at Blackmoor when Rita Conners was there) (possibly a pun on "The Murders In The Rue Morgue" by Edgar Allan Poe)
    · Ruth Ballinger
    · Sam Greenway (artist)
    · Sandy Edwards (joint top dog with Bea Smith for a while)
    · Sarah West (Aborigine)
    · Sharon Gillmore (Judy Bryant's girlfriend)
    · Sonia Stevens
    · Spider (Ruth) Simpson
    · Spike (Margaret) Marsh (prisoner at Blackmoor when Rita Conners was there)
    · Suzie Driscoll (after whom Driscoll House was named)
    · Vicky McPherson (Spider Simpson's accomplice)
    · Wendy Glover (undercover policewoman planted to obtain information from Lisa Mullins)
    · Willie Beacham
    · Zara Moonbeam

Officers
    · Bob Moran (temporary governor)
    · Colleen Powell (Po-face)
    · Ann Reynolds (second governor)
    · Delia Stout (initially a trainee)
    · Dennis Cruikshank (the Yorkshire pud)
    · Ernest Craven (governor at Blackmoor when Rita Conners was there; played by the same actor as Alf Stewart in Home And Away)
    · Erica Davidson (first governor)
    · Heather ? (trainee, only lasted a few days; played by the same actress as Daphne Graham and Pippa in Home And Away)
    · Jim Fletcher
    · Joan Ferguson (The Freak)
    · Jock Stewart
    · Joyce Barry (later Joyce Pringle)
    · Marty Jackson (Meg Jackson/Meg Morris' son; initally appears as a teenager, later as a trainee)
    · Meg Jackson (later Meg Morris)
    · Pat Slattery
    · Rodney Adams (initially a trainee)
    · Spud Murphy
    · Steve Faulkner
    · Teri Malone (friendly with Joan Ferguson for a time)
    · Vera Bennett

Other Characters
    · Albert or Alfred (?) Reynolds (owner of the work experience factory)
    · Barbara Field (???) (accountant at the work experience factory; later a prisoner?)
    · Bongo Conners (Rita Conners' brother)
    · Dan (?) Fulbright (Daphne Graham's lawyer and Pippa Reynolds' fiance)
    · Dan Moulton (the bikey preacher)
    · Dr Steve Ryan (marries Julie Egbert)
    · Dr Weisman (departmental psychologist)
    · Eddie Stevens (Sonia Stevens' husband)
    · Inspector Grace
    · James Dwyer (Minister for Corrective Services)
    · Jennifer Powell (Colleen Powell's daughter)
    · Lori (?) (Judy Bryant's daughter)
    · Major Ferguson (Joan Ferguson's father)
    · Mervyn Pringle (third cook)
    · Miki Wallace (Wally's daughter)
    · Mrs O'Reagan (first cook)
    · Norm Barry (Joyce Barry's first husband)
    · Pamela Madigan (Aborigine social worker)
    · Patrick Powell (Colleen Powell's husband)
    · Pippa Reynolds (Ann Reynolds' daughter)
    · Ray Proctor (second cook)
    · Shane Monroe (fostered by Joan Ferguson)
    · Sid Humphries (workman; friendly with Lizzie Birdsworth)
    · Sister Hall
    · Slasher (Rita Conners' boyfriend)
    · Spud (Maxine Daniels' boyfriend)
    · Stan Dobson (workman; fostered Bobbie Mitchell)
    · Ted Douglas (Erica Davidson's boss)
    · Tom Lucus (teacher, appears very near the end)
    · Wally Wallace (friend of Judy Bryant and Ann Reynolds)
    · ? Gillespie (departmental inspector at the time of the children's pantomime/underground tunnel escape)

John
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 443
    Forum Member
    .......and wasn't Vera Bennett known as 'Vinegar Tits'?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've got the first volume which features episodes 1-32

I'll be buying volume 2 (33-64) at the weekend and I believe volume 3 (65-96) will be out next month
  • Options
    macca@90macca@90 Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *He used to give me roses* :D

Loved it. Used to watch it at my friend's house late at night while raiding her dad's drink cabinet :o:D
  • Options
    BBTweetsBBTweets Posts: 12,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My sister's a huge fan so I thought I'd start getting her the DVD's for her Christmas. Turns out it's supposed to be the biggest DVD boxed set on the market (around 40 volumes). I've got her the first 3 and figured both of us will probably be dead before I can complete the set if I'm only buying her one every year. :eek:
  • Options
    DroodDrood Posts: 733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just read that some of the actors are going to be at Memorabilia in Birmingham later this year.

I've never been there myself so have no idea if it's any good.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone used to take the piss about wobbly sets, but all I can remember was gripping storylines and every episode ending in a ":eek:" cliffhanger.

I was Carlton London when I watched it - I know back then the different regions were all at different places with it.

Maya was the Top Dog and Joan "The Freak" Ferguson were at loggerheads the last time I watched it in 1995 when Carlton decicied to drop it.

I was well pissed off as my mate who was in uni at the time in Manchester told me that Granada showed the final five episodes stripped over a week at 11pm, something to do with a fire.

We were ages behind in Carlton and they never finished it :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There wasn't a fire in the final episodes but there was a big one long before that.

John
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John259 wrote: »
    There wasn't a fire in the final episodes but there was a big one long before that.

John

No, you are right - wasn't it a riot?

I never saw it thanks to Carlton.
  • Options
    Pistol WhipPistol Whip Posts: 9,677
    Forum Member
    No, you are right - wasn't it a riot?

I never saw it thanks to Carlton.

Bea Smith asked Chrissie Latham to start a small fire in the Library as a distraction whilst Bea Smith "took care" of The Freak once and for all (she wanted to kill her). But Margo took it upon herself to start a much larger file in a storeroom and it got out of control, causing the whole prison to burn down. As the file took hold, it shorted the Prison's security system and caused all gates to close and lock, trapping both Prisoners and Officers inside.

The last episodes saw the downfall of The Freak with Rita Connors framing her for theft. The Freak ended up iside Wentworth (only for one night) and was then transfered to a higher security Prison, much to Cell Block H's amusement as they watched her walk across the car park in handcuffs and into a waiting police car.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry but since the ending is so exciting I don't think I ought to give it away here. The PCBH Wikipedia article briefly summarises what happens.

John
    EDIT: Ah, while I was typing someone else did give it away. Oh well.
  • Options
    SoapsRmeSoapsRme Posts: 1,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John259 - Thanks for all those names - that took me down memory lane and having watched it all those years I was shocked at how many I'd forgotten completely (and some I still can't bring to mind).

Good of you to take the trouble, thanks x I'm getting a real urge to watch them again now :D Trouble is, at my age I doubt if I'd live long enough :D
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    God I loved that show...
    It had some amazing Story lines.

I was gutted the way they just killed Bea off in such a pathetic way..(oh fire at barnhurst bea died)

very much like they killed Yvonne atkins off in bad girls.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    oathy wrote: »
    God I loved that show...
    It had some amazing Story lines.

I was gutted the way they just killed Bea off in such a pathetic way..(oh fire at barnhurst bea died)

very much like they killed Yvonne atkins off in bad girls.

I hated that, too. I remember the episode, it was right at the end, Anne Reynolds said to Meg, "There's been a fire at Barnhurst and three prisoners have been killed. One of them was Bea Smith." Then the episode ended and nothing more was said about it :eek: It was a very disrespectful way to kill off such an iconic character.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what was the name of the mad doctor that the freak got to terrorise Bea about her dead daughter Debbie..was it Kate Peterson??

the best era of Prisoner for me was when Nola Mackensie/Marie Winter/Sandie Edwards were in the show just before they killed off Bea!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    CheekyTV wrote: »
    what was the name of the mad doctor that the freak got to terrorise Bea about her dead daughter Debbie..was it Kate Peterson??

the best era of Prisoner for me was when Nola Mackensie/Marie Winter/Sandie Edwards were in the show just before they killed off Bea!!

Zara Moonbeam, she was a fellow Prisoner that Nola and The Freak got to play with Bea's head.

Kate Peterson was a Doctor inmate gone bad, but she wasn't involved in Beas "insanity". She did try to kill Judy Bryant and was later sent to a mental Hospital.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    Damnit, now I have read all that I HAVE to seek out the DVDs.
    GRRR.

I LOVED Cell Block H :)
  • Options
    revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was worth it all to see the Freak sent down in the final ep. I hope somebody visited her at night with leather gloves on! :D
  • Options
    PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loved it. One of the funniest programmes to come from the Aussies.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    revolver44 wrote: »
    It was worth it all to see the Freak sent down in the final ep. I hope somebody visited her at night with leather gloves on! :D

She had a soft side to her did Joan :p She loved her Father (The Major) and even named her beloved dog after him, although she did kill said dog after the Women spiked her with LSD on one of her shifts. She was devastated when she realised what she'd done.

She also loved Terri, one of her fellow Prison Officers. I can't quite remember the circumstances of Terri's departure, I think she got promoted and left for a Governorship in another Prison (I'm probably wrong, though).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zara Moonbeam, she was a fellow Prisoner that Nola and The Freak got to play with Bea's head.

Kate Peterson was a Doctor inmate gone bad, but she wasn't involved in Beas "insanity". She did try to kill Judy Bryant and was later sent to a mental Hospital.

Blimey yes Zara Moonbeam..hahaha, how could I forget a name like that..:D

thanks for jogging my memory!

Judy Bryant didn't she help Hazel die, when she found out she had a brain tumour?..I have so many disjointed memories of Prisoner as there were so many episodes!!
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have not long finished transferring all 692 episodes from VHS to DVD. 5 VCR machines and 2 DVD recorders later thay're all safely onto disc.

I didn't realise what an undertaking it was:eek: It took me months and nearly took over my life - sometimes I did 15 episodes per day! I had to watch every ep to cut the adverts out. It was worth it in the end though. I got through 110 VHS tapes (now in the bin) and used 125 discs. Still it was cheaper than buying that huge boxset.

It was brilliant apart from the 30 or so eps when the Barnhurst lot were transfered (Nora, Willie, May etc) It picked up again when Rita Connors arrived.

I have all 900+ eps of Sons & Daughters to transfer too - but I think I need a break now. I have to source a few more VCR machines as well. Bloody things keep packing up.
  • Options
    tellyadicttellyadict Posts: 4,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have not long finished transferring all 692 episodes from VHS to DVD. 5 VCR machines and 2 DVD recorders later thay're all safely onto disc.

I didn't realise what an undertaking it was:eek: It took me months and nearly took over my life - sometimes I did 15 episodes per day! I had to watch every ep to cut the adverts out. It was worth it in the end though. I got through 110 VHS tapes (now in the bin) and used 125 discs. Still it was cheaper than buying that huge boxset.

It was brilliant apart from the 30 or so eps when the Barnhurst lot were transfered (Nora, Willie, May etc) It picked up again when Rita Connors arrived.

I have all 900+ eps of Sons & Daughters to transfer too - but I think I need a break now. I have to source a few more VCR machines as well. Bloody things keep packing up.

Well done for all of that.

I never watched Sons and Daugters but did often watch the theme tune. Still like it now :o