Options

MPs Expenses Cheats vs Looters. What's The Difference?

End-Em-AllEnd-Em-All Posts: 23,629
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Let me start by apologising for starting yet another thread on this matter. I would like to debate the issue of the prosecution of looters (those not actually involved in smashing businesses i.e. opportunists who helped themselves to other people's properties). What really is the difference between these people and MPs who abused the expenses system? The looters are being rightly prosecuted but only a handful of MPs saw the inside of a court for their criminality. Is this acceptable? I think not.

Comments

• Options
    GraathusGraathus Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MPs keep their receipts.
  • Options
    A321A321 Posts: 6,363
    Forum Member
    Graathus wrote: »
    MPs keep their receipts.

And wear a suit. But that's about it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Graathus wrote: »
    MPs keep their receipts.

Lol.

Seriously though, they stole from the public purse and got away with it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you for real!

Obviously the MP Expense fiasco was wrong and no doubt more prosecutions should have been sought but to compare it to what we saw earlier this week is insane!

5 people have died in the recent goings on. People have lost their lively hoods and homes!

A bit of context please
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    End-Em-All wrote: »
    Lol.

MPs did not get away with fiddling their expenses. They were asked to give the money back.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clacker007 wrote: »
    Are you for real!

Obviously the MP Expense fiasco was wrong and no doubt more prosecutions should have been sought but to compare it to what we saw earlier this week is insane!

5 people have died in the recent goings on. People have lost their lively hoods and homes!

A bit of context please

Some perspective please. I made the distinction that I wasn't referring to the mindless thugs who smashed and grabbed and caused the deaths. I was referring to opportunists like the person sent to prison for looting bottles of water from an already smashed shop. Are they really different from the MPs who helped themselves to money they weren't entitled to?
  • Options
    BoogaloodooBoogaloodoo Posts: 342
    Forum Member
    MP's get a pension ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meilie wrote: »
    MPs did not get away with fiddling their expenses. They were asked to give the money back.

Yeah but have the looters been given the choice of handing the stolen goods back or face jail?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah but have the looters been given the choice of handing the stolen goods back or face jail?

No, because to a common street looter, giving back the goods wouldn't be a punishment and it wouldn't deter them from stealing again. The MPs deterrent is the fact that Parliament has made it a lot more difficult to fiddle expenses.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, because to a common street looter, giving back the goods wouldn't be a punishment and it wouldn't deter them from stealing again. The MPs deterrent is the fact that Parliament has made it a lot more difficult to fiddle expenses.

What's your definition of a "common street looter"?
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Tee hee.

• Options
    GraathusGraathus Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given some of the threads here you need an education to be a white collar criminal buy only animals loot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What's your definition of a "common street looter"?

Prevalent public road plunderer. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    BatmanLaBatmanBatmanLaBatman Posts: 3,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol.

And how many people's businesses and houses did they force entry into or burn down? How many people did they terrorise, injure or kill?

What a ridiculous comparison.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And how many people's businesses and houses did they force entry into or burn down? How many people did they terrorise, injure or kill?

What a ridiculous comparison.

:rolleyes:

Can some of you not read :yawn:

I am referring to the opportunists. Those who the courts have accepted did not engage in violence but entered smashed up shops and looted.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In recent months it's like looters have broken into these forums set fire to common sense and stomped on sanity.

For years the strange extreme right of America amused us all on such programmes as CH4s "The Daily Show", but rather like pod-people such types are amongst us too.

They are that person next to you on the bus reading the Metro, the woman behind the counter at Coop who doesn't say thanks. And very probably a fair number in government too.

Run for your lives!
  • Options
    dream stuffingdream stuffing Posts: 2,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let me start by apologising for starting yet another thread on this matter. I would like to debate the issue of the prosecution of looters (those not actually involved in smashing businesses i.e. opportunists who helped themselves to other people's properties). What really is the difference between these people and MPs who abused the expenses system? The looters are being rightly prosecuted but only a handful of MPs saw the inside of a court for their criminality. Is this acceptable? I think not.

None, par the MP's have done it in a dignified way by not rioting and looting :cry:
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The difference, well whilst not condoning the Mp's who fiddled I dont recall any of them smashing up shops and stealing , I dont remember seeing any attack public transport with passengers on and then firebombing it or attacking and burning down businesses for fun or setting fire to peoples houses and cars .

That really is the difference.

Financial only crime and violent crime are two very different areas.
  • Options
    hugsiehugsie Posts: 17,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I am referring to the opportunists. Those who the courts have accepted did not engage in violence but entered smashed up shops and looted.

I think it is different. Their presence and activities added to the climate of fear and made it far harder for police to do their jobs.
    They did not just act as opportunist thieves they were rioting looters. Violent or not they made a very tense situation worse and made it easier for the violent criminals to evade the police.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let me start by apologising for starting yet another thread on this matter. I would like to debate the issue of the prosecution of looters (those [highlight]not[/highlight] actually involved in smashing businesses i.e. opportunists who helped themselves to other people's properties). What really is the difference between these people and MPs who abused the expenses system? The looters are being rightly prosecuted but only a handful of MPs saw the inside of a court for their criminality. Is this acceptable? I think not.

skp20040 wrote: »
    The difference, well whilst not condoning the Mp's who fiddled I dont recall any of them smashing up shops and stealing , I dont remember seeing any attack public transport with passengers on and then firebombing it or attacking and burning down businesses for fun or setting fire to peoples houses and cars .

That really is the difference.

Financial only crime and violent crime are two very different areas.

Come on now skp. I know you can read.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Every single person who rampaged through the streets added momentum to the riot.
  • Options
    MD1500MD1500 Posts: 14,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's an interesting blog post on this very topic.
    I don't agree with most of the sentiments in it, but you scroll mid-way it actually gives the value of dodgy MP expense claims in looted goods.

http://thenewsthing.com/?p=209
    The Labour MP, Yvette Cooper ,was seen on television recently condemning rioters and looters. However, Yvette and her husband Ed Balls, were embroiled in the MPs expenses scandal for re-designating on three occasions which of their homes was their ‘second’ home. The jiggling of expenses benefited them financially. The money they took from the tax-payer was the equivalent of about 30 plasma TVs, 10 iPad2s and 160 pairs of Levi 501 jeans looted from stores. They faced no legal actions.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    The difference -- violence.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    MPs think they're above the law and only claim to listen near voting time (do they ****. Once you vote for them they don't give a toss) and to the envelope stuffed with the most cash.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i've wondered this too OP. i'm not condoning the rioters or the looters, what happened is crazy and wrong, but it really winds me up to see politicians getting up on their high horse about it when a large proportion of them have stolen from the public, and in a much more underhand fashion. The people you are talking about saw a moment of 'opportunity' and nabbed something from a broken shop - yes, its wrong, but is it that much worse than an MP knowingly stealing taxpayers cash over an extended period of time?

don't get me wrong, the situation is very different and i acknowledge that. but when the prime minister is calling people scum and my facebook feed is full of people slagging off the unemployed, i just think it helps to remember that greed is everywhere.