Madonna Appreciation Thread (Part 8)

Comments

• Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,170
    Forum Member
    i am so having a Madonna day

just listening to lots or rare and unreleased tracks... .

then i just watched her performance of 'hey you' at live 8 - she looks amazing and her singing live as always was good for such a high profile event ... she amazes me. I love that performance. I was even there live in person. She stole the show :) But it was heartfelt and political - fantastic Madonna.And that sng fits nicely with the art for freedom movement.
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gigi4 wrote: »
    I don't blame either Interscope or Guy. It was more that she spent so much time working on directing her film that it didn't leave time to promote the album and rehearse for the tour. She wants to tour at a certain time during the summer and fall because that's prime touring season and she didn't want to delay the touring. I thought that Interscope was just a distribution deal. I don't think they are even in charge of promotion. I think what promotion she is going to do for her albums is up to her, not Interscope.

i am with you on this one. interscope simply distribute her music, while guy just goes along with whatever she tells him basically.:blush: if anything, perhaps she has too much control now or perhaps she simply no longer cares about commercial success and just records new music to tour with. either way, i don't think guy or interscope should be held accountable really.
  • babeloguebabelogue Posts: 1,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    omg just found a song that i hadn't heard before

i can't forget
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCwIBN28azE&list=PL9KRiH6uqT4UHuZcln_r3xPQ4nHZrdgwA&index=9

Lovely track! Thanks for sharing. I'd have preferred this on Something to Remember rather than One More Chance.
    Forum Member
    babelogue wrote: »
    Lovely track! Thanks for sharing. I'd have preferred this on Something to Remember rather than One More Chance.

theres something honest, sincere and fragile about it. Her voice sounds gorgeous too. The production would be better on proper treatment as this is just an early demo.

I also came across a few songs that were apparently ear marked for Madonna for MDNA. I am definitely of the opinion that some of the songs on that album had elements of previous hits by Madonna. Hence - DNA part. Very clever.

This track reminds me of 'frozen' and I love it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqsRNUGzkdc
  • Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gpk wrote: »
    i am with you on this one. interscope simply distribute her music, while guy just goes along with whatever she tells him basically.:blush: if anything, perhaps she has too much control now or perhaps she simply no longer cares about commercial success and just records new music to tour with. either way, i don't think guy or interscope should be held accountable really.

I don't know if Guy goes along with whatever she says, but he can't force her to do something she doesn't want to do. That's not a good way to manage someone being some kind of dictator. I think Guy did encourage her to do the Super Bowl which at first she didn't want to do. After all, she is the one who has to do the promotion with all the interviews, not Guy. So it's something she has to want to do, not Guy forcing her to do it. I can see why she might not be excited about the traditional promotion. A lot of those celebrity shows are kind of stupid and they always ask the same boring questions. I see so many artists doing endless tv appearances and radio interviews and it doesn't seem to have the positive effect on sales that you would think. It just seems a lot of boring tiring work with no real pay off. Whereas it seems to me creating an amazing stage show is much more artistically satisfying for her and of course achieves bigger results commercially. I feel like with older more established artists like Madonna, people have made up their minds if they like them or not, so promotion doesn't have the same value as it does with younger artists. Now with social media, you can easily find out if your favourite artist has a release out, you aren't dependent on tv or radio to find out about it. I find most of the tv shows used to promote music kind of boring, you don't really learn anything new about the artist. It's all very formulated. However, I do really like collecting magazines with new photo shoots with my favourite artists. So I would like her to do some magazine cover shoots for the next album.
    The fact is a lot of people don't buy albums like they used to even if they love the music. You don't have to buy music to hear it, you can listen on the various streaming services like spotify or youtube or download for free. I'm just as guilty of that as anyone. There are so many artists whose music I enjoy, honestly I can't afford to buy everyone's music. I have a list of top artists which includes Madonna whose albums I will always buy, but outside of that list I usually don't buy. It takes a lot to convince me to buy an artist's album who is not among my special favourites. I have to be honest and say it's not that often that I see an artist on tv or hear them interviewed on the radio and then say oh, I must go and buy their album now. So i feel sometimes people overstate the importance of promotion. The new model of the music business is about touring, not the traditional thing of selling albums and singles and making videos etc. I think Madonna is smart to embrace the changes in the industry even if some of her fans still want her to do things the old way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^ i don't disagree with any of that in fairness, apart from the bit about promotion. celine dion is a good example, her latest album, which has been certified platinum in the uk, did well here partly because of her x factor performance, her strictly performance and her interview on the jonathan ross show.

its all very well embracing social media and i personally love that madonna has done that, but many of madonna's fans are now older and they don't necessarily seek her out on these platforms. its all about reaching and knowing your target audience imo. celine's team clearly promoted her album very well here and its platinum status proves that traditional methods of promotion does work when a target audience is engaged.

i do agree madonna's tours are amazing and they bring much of her music to life, but i would have liked to have seen some tv performances too from her last record.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    omg just found a song that i hadn't heard before

i can't forget
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCwIBN28azE&list=PL9KRiH6uqT4UHuZcln_r3xPQ4nHZrdgwA&index=9

I love this song as it was one of the last she recorded prior to the Evita training. After Evita her control became much stronger which was great as it led to Ray Of Light sounding epic but I always preferred the rawness she had previously. I miss the gravel tone she had.
  • RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    I love this song as it was one of the last she recorded prior to the Evita training. After Evita her control became much stronger which was great as it led to Ray Of Light sounding epic but I always preferred the rawness she had previously. I miss the gravel tone she had.

Ooh, I totally agree with you that training for Evita definitely made her voice stronger and gave her better vocal control but like you I really miss that raw wild gravelly tone she possessed beforehand,i loved that nasally almost losing her voice vocal she used to have.

That and her little beauty spot on her upper lip!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^ i don't disagree with any of that in fairness, apart from the bit about promotion. celine dion is a good example, her latest album, which has been certified platinum in the uk, did well here partly because of her x factor performance, her strictly performance and her interview on the jonathan ross show.

its all very well embracing social media and i personally love that madonna has done that, but many of madonna's fans are now older and they don't necessarily seek her out on these platforms. its all about reaching and knowing your target audience imo. celine's team clearly promoted her album very well here and its platinum status proves that traditional methods of promotion does work when a target audience is engaged.

i do agree madonna's tours are amazing and they bring much of her music to life, but i would have liked to have seen some tv performances too from her last record.

I don't follow Celine Dion that closely. I did not know that her album had done that well. She certainly hasn't had any huge hits from it. How many copies of it has she sold? I don't think it sold as many copies worldwide as MDNA did even with the lack of promotion. I guess promotion can work if you get on major shows like the X Factor or Jonathan Ross. I think Madonna should maybe for the new album do a few tv appearances on major shows like that that have a wide audience. That might help. But she doesn't have to go on every tv and radio show there is. Madonna's fans aren't as old as Celine Dion's. I don't think it's true anymore that older people don't use social media. It really has spread over all age groups. I do think fans have unrealistic expectations for Madonna though. I don't think at her age she's going to achieve the sales she did in the 80's and 90s no matter how much promotion she does.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gigi4 wrote: »
    I don't follow Celine Dion that closely. I did not know that her album had done that well. She certainly hasn't had any huge hits from it. How many copies of it has she sold? I don't think it sold as many copies worldwide as MDNA did even with the lack of promotion. I guess promotion can work if you get on major shows like the X Factor or Jonathan Ross. I think Madonna should maybe for the new album do a few tv appearances on major shows like that that have a wide audience. That might help. But she doesn't have to go on every tv and radio show there is. Madonna's fans aren't as old as Celine Dion's. I don't think it's true anymore that older people don't use social media. It really has spread over all age groups. I do think fans have unrealistic expectations for Madonna though. I don't think at her age she's going to achieve the sales she did in the 80's and 90s no matter how much promotion she does.

i was using celine's uk sales as an example of how the promotion she did here helped the album in this territory. mdna sold more worldwide, but that wasn't really my point. celine's apparently, shifted 1.4 million copies of her album since last november, not bad at all to be fair.

it is probable that madonna would draw more younger fans than celine these days, but many of madge's longer term fans surely must be older considering she was worldwide star almost a decade before celine became huge globally in the nineties?

i do agree that people of all ages use social media, but what i meant was that i was not sure her older fans would necessarily seek her out on these platforms.

personally, my expectations are low in terms of her achieving major commercial success through record sales. i agree, that ship may have sailed. however, i still would like some promotion nonetheless.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lmao, david's stolen her grilz.:D in the interest of erm, hygiene, i hope she lets him keep them and doesn't get another set.:p she also posted a video of david horse riding, she clearly dotes on those kids and its nice to see little glimpses into her happy family life.:)
    Forum Member
    Madonna has never followed usual trends and has always been projecting the underground underbelly of music to mainstream appeal. Her bit torrent release of artforfreedom, arthouse projections and appearances, instagram notoriety. She is a worldwide best selling touring artist. But music is about the 'album' and 'live tour'. She will never shy away from that. But there is little money in albums and much more in touring. However, the music should be central. And she has always kept it that way with tours focusing on the latest album.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 369
    Forum Member
    A bit of traditional promotion wouldn't go amiss for the new record. Some proper interviews and TV performances would do her good - like a chat show special or something.

Whatever about the singles, she could definitely shift a fair few albums if she put some effort into it.
  • TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A bit of traditional promotion wouldn't go amiss for the new record. Some proper interviews and TV performances would do her good - like a chat show special or something.

Whatever about the singles, she could definitely shift a fair few albums if she put some effort into it.

Definitely. The promo campaign is all part of the era and who can forget the fantastic acoustic sessions she did for American Life or the genius promo for COAD with the chat shows, Koko gig and the Motorola TV ad. A good era is more than just dropping an album.
    Forum Member
    yep i agree... some promo is important...

but please don't forget that she was the forerunner of the 3 city promo gigs with 'hard candy'.....new york -paris and radio 1 live gig

and with the MDNA era...she had 'Super Bowl' and the amazing 'love live tv' gig in Paris. That was so exciting and in some ways the forerunner to the live iTunes gigs in 2013.

my only wish is that there are some killer single releases that accustom the charts again...I would welcome another US number 1.... :)
    Forum Member
    lovelivetv performance
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdRaL5ZQ0Rc&list=PL0F8AC1044CCCA114&feature=c4-overview-vl

not exactly as live as when i watched live as some parts have been dubbed :( her live vocals were great - i don't get this desire to dub her in her concert vids???

anyhow there are some super highlights
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    that performance at the olympia had brought me much frustration at the time and it topped off a terrible couple of weeks for me generally.:( i was diagnosed with something that was supposedly non serious, but i was in agony most of the time and to top it all off my car failed its mot, which completely wiped out madonna ticket fund to pay for the repairs.>:(

there was no way i could go anyhow, because my condition deteriorated and after a few days i went back to the doctors for a second opinion. on the second visit they rang an ambulance for me immediately and at the hospital, they informed me i had to have emergency surgery the next day. fortunately, for me the surgery was successful, but i needed to stay in hospital for a few days afterwards to heal after the operation and for observation.

i was miserable and bored, so i decided to use the pay-per-view tv at my bedside to access the internet to see what had been going on while i was out of the loop. the thread in the main forum regarding this mini show was extremely negative and i felt completely helpless, since i hadn't worked out how to contribute to the debate via this tv internet thingy.:blush: i could actually feel my blood boiling.:o

so i never got to go to the tour and missed the live feed, so i cant comment on how the audio had been altered. i do love the "masterpiece" performance though and i still have my "mdna tour" dvd which i do love.:) fingers cross dramas like this wont hinder me when she tours again.:D
    Forum Member
    Aww gpk - that sounds horrible. Hopefully, you get to see her next time she tours :)

'Connecting to the wifi, went from nerd to superb
    Have you seen the new guy, I forgot the password
    Gotta call the babysitter, tweetin' on the elevator
    I could take a helicopter, I don't even feel the pressure'
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry about your troubles gpk, hope it gets better and I am glad your surgery was successful.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thanks for your concern guys, but that was july 2012 and i am much better now.:D actually, when i think back at the situation now and how fuming because i couldn't post in that thread, it is rather amusing.:blush:

i have seen madge live 4 times already (the girlie show/re-invention/confessions/sticky & sweet), so i guess it just wasn't meant to be.
    Forum Member
    thanks for your concern guys, but that was july 2012 and i am much better now.:D actually, when i think back at the situation now and how fuming because i couldn't post in that thread, it is rather amusing.:blush:

i have seen madge live 4 times already (the girlie show/re-invention/confessions/sticky & sweet), so i guess it just wasn't meant to be.

Which show that you saw live did you prefer?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which show that you saw live did you prefer?

the "re-invention world tour" hands down. she had the crowd eating out of her hands from the offset with "vogue" and those impressive upside-down poses.:D the super-bowl performance of "vogue" gives that entrance a run for its money though. only madonna could make that cleopatra style procession with a huge gay disco standard cutting through the testosterone packed audience like a knife.:cool:

i really liked all of her tours that i attended, but the "re-invention" and the "confession" tours were by far my favourites. out of the tours i have missed, i regret not attending the "blond ambition" and the "drowned world" tours the most.:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The latest rumour is Madonna is working with Diplo on her new album. She and her manager Guy are following him on Instagram. That's pretty cool. I liked the stuff he did on the last No Doubt album.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I noticed that on her instagram when i checked the other day as i was curious as to whom she was following as she isnt following many,

Diplo i wanted M to collab with a few years back when i heard his stuff with M.I.A an Switch and stuff....and i got sidetracked on that thought since he has worked with No Doubt, Beyonce (well sampled on that song), Rita Ora (havent heard his two productions as not a massive fan of hers), Britney (love Passenger on Britney Jean)....BUT i do think and feel it will work...I also would have loved greg Kerstin to work with her love his productions with Foster The People, P!nk, Britney etc.

Imagine...Madonna and Pat Leonard writing/co-producing on the album...and Diplo offering his Electronica/Island styles....it stil lsuits that Madonna/Blood Orange idea in my head of Bluesy/Electronica/AMbient vibes/ if she created something midtempo and beautiful like this with Diplo it would be ebautiful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI3shBXlqsw

Love that styles and i think she was rumoured to have been in touch with Diplo in 2007 wasnt she? as at the time it was rare he would work in maisntream...would have been a feat for him then...but still i reckon it would be a massive feat now if pushed in the right direction...personally i would love it :) even if on a song or two its not Avicii/SOlveig kinda neat/cool but maisntream...Diplo is still pretty underground with his shows/gigs and stuff would be seriously cool.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ALso i hope (may be bias here as i love them) the impact of the likes of Lorde, Charli XCX, Solange, Lana Del Rey, Frank Ocean, Sky Ferreira have influenced Madonna too i know she always ahs an ear out there for styles out there....she can do amazing Indie Pop styles...most of the music from these artists echo/mirror a lot of what she did in the past too...would be just so cool, fresh and different :).

Just a few more ideas i have had really...cannot wait and love the idea of Diplo in the mix.