Options

BBC1 Presentation Gaffes

ftvftv Posts: 31,668
Forum Member
✭✭✭
On BBC1 in London the Pres announcer said at 7 pm tonight that EE would be on ''in 30 minutes'' followed by Panorama. In fact EE was on at 8 pm. This is not the first time I have heard such mistakes. Surely the BBC should give the announcer a free copy of the Radio Times ?

Comments

• Options
    Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    On BBC1 in London the Pres announcer said at 7 pm tonight that EE would be on ''in 30 minutes'' followed by Panorama. In fact EE was on at 8 pm. This is not the first time I have heard such mistakes. Surely the BBC should give the announcer a free copy of the Radio Times ?

Firstly I doff my cap to you sir, as you are obviously someone who has never made a mistake
    Secondly, a free copy of the Radio Times? The BBC has nothing to do with that now!

Make yourself look a pratt, why not?:kitty:
  • Options
    David_VaughanDavid_Vaughan Posts: 1,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was because he could not announce the 7 30 program as it was regional and he probably forgot that EE would then be in an hour. This happens quite often when ITV started national presentation before the regional program they used to have in the evening.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's not unusual for presenters to make mistakes. The makers of "out-take" TV programmes do very nicely out of them.
    Still, over the years the BBC have improved, there was once a morning radio presenter called Jack de Manio who couldn't even tell the time, often got it wrong by an hour when he gave time checks.
  • Options
    Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    I have heard them get titles wrong before.

Calling a show the wrong name.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firstly I doff my cap to you sir, as you are obviously someone who has never made a mistake
    Secondly, a free copy of the Radio Times? The BBC has nothing to do with that now!

Make yourself look a pratt, why not?:kitty:

If I was paid to make an announcement lasting a few seconds every 30 or 60 minutes I would make sure I got it right - thanks for your apppreciation of my comments..
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I was paid to make an announcement lasting a few seconds every 30 or 60 minutes I would make sure I got it right - thanks for your apppreciation of my comments..
    Aren't RedBee Media (who handle BBC playout) responsible for the continuity announcers?
  • Options
    Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of my favourites was on Thames many years ago.

The clock came up, and the announcer said-

'And now on Thames the News at One from ITN read by..... read by..........read by....... erm .... read by.... read by a newscaster who is at ITN now with the news.

By this stage the clock (still on screen) was reading 10 seconds past One, and he was getting drowned out by the theme tune.
  • Options
    tedjrrtedjrr Posts: 2,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ......... there was once a morning radio presenter called Jack de Manio who couldn't even tell the time, often got it wrong by an hour when he gave time checks.

A joke which they perpetuated through the Timpson/Redhead years!
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wasnt the said regional programme all about the same subject albeit tailored for each region?

They could have made a generic non specific announcment.

In fact as it was an Inside Out VE Day Special, couldnt it be trailed as such?
  • Options
    inverness1967inverness1967 Posts: 1,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember years ago you'd see the in vision announcer with a copy of the TV Times...maybe as the OP stated they should issue them with a TV guide.
  • Options
    SonOfPurpleSonOfPurple Posts: 2,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favourite was after Points of View one Sunday a few years back, when the BBC One CA was cross-promoting other Beeb channels, and announced the CBBC show Kerching! (displayed as such on the graphic) as 'Kerrang!'. That one definitely rocked...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know we all make mistakes but the Pres Announcer's role is to give times and details of forthcoming programmes (and fill in if there's a technical problem which is rare these days).If he can't do that he shouldn't be in the job.
  • Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favourite was after Points of View one Sunday a few years back, when the BBC One CA was cross-promoting other Beeb channels, and announced the CBBC show Kerching! (displayed as such on the graphic) as 'Kerrang!'. That one definitely rocked...

There was a BBC 1 announcer a few years ago, that said, '.......and over on BBC 4 now, A Very British Coup'. Except he pronounced 'coup' as 'cooop' :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tedjrr wrote: »
    A joke which they perpetuated through the Timpson/Redhead years!

Digressing,

It surprised me that if he were still alive Jack de Manio would be 101.

How time flies?
  • Options
    MarrooMarroo Posts: 1,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On one of her morning weather bulletins recently , Carol Kirkwood said something like " . . . if you are having it off this weekend . . . " :):)

To be fair , I think she was referring to the Bank Holiday weekend , but Billy & Louise looked a bit taken aback when the cameras went back onto them . :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Digressing,

It surprised me that if he were still alive Jack de Manio would be 101.

How time flies?

De Manio was perhaps most famous - when he was a duty announcer - for introducing a piece of music called Land of the Niger except he didn't say Niger
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Before my time, but on more than one occasion I have heard the story of a BBC announcer introducing a PPB as.

'There now follows a Party Political Broadcast with The Chancellor of the Exchequer Sir Stifford Crapps'

It should have been Stafford Cripps.

Edit- It was said by McDonald Hobley.

http://www.oldbrightonians.com/notable-obs/film-theatre-television/mcdonald-hobley-s.-1931-36.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ''The bowler's Holding the batsman's Willey'' - Unknown

''For those of you watching in black and white Wolves are playing in yellow'' - John Motson

''Harry Commentator is your carpenter'' - Frank Bough
  • Options
    A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

''For those of you watching in black and white Wolves are playing in yellow'' - John Motson

''Harry Commentator is your carpenter'' - Frank Bough

Actually that post is another mistake, it was David Coleman who said and your Carpenter is Harry Commentator.

I love the classics,

Cutting To adverts when a goal is going to be score, oh wait a minute it can't be said as that's an ITV error.
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Into one of the Royal Baby news programmes the other week they announced it as being 'here on BBC Two'. Only problem was that it was actually BBC One.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Attributed to Brian Johnston but some doubts
  • Options
    D.PageD.Page Posts: 1,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know we all make mistakes but the Pres Announcer's role is to give times and details of forthcoming programmes (and fill in if there's a technical problem which is rare these days).If he can't do that he shouldn't be in the job.

One thing which I am surprised doesn't happen more often, with continuity announcers who announce on both BBC1 and BBC2, is them mistakenly saying, for instance, something like "... and now on BBC1 ..." (when they are announcing on BBC2), and vice versa.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A story I heard (which I hope is true) goes back to the days of the dancing idents on BBC1.

I think they are set up in advance, and the evening announcer had just arrived, and assumed everything had been set up correctly.

He was expecting to announce 'Songs of Praise' over the ballet dancers ident- and was somewhat taken aback to find himself introducing SOP over the Hakka ident instead!
  • Options
    EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Before my time, but on more than one occasion I have heard the story of a BBC announcer introducing a PPB as.

'There now follows a Party Political Broadcast with The Chancellor of the Exchequer Sir Stifford Crapps'

It should have been Stafford Cripps.

Edit- It was said by McDonald Hobley.

http://www.oldbrightonians.com/notable-obs/film-theatre-television/mcdonald-hobley-s.-1931-36.html

On a similar note: James Naughtie lived up to his surname by misnaming the then Culture Secretary Jeremy Hunt.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many years ago Ron Pickering once told me a story about David Coleman.
    Before an eight lane track race, it was the practice to rehearse him reading out the names of each competitor. On one occasion he had difficulty pronouncing one of the athlete's names, an Algerian, he had several attempts at it but still couldn't manage it. When it came to the live broadcast, he got round it by saying, "In lane four we have the gritty Algerian, in lane five......."