Office Christmas Party - to go or not to go?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 478
Forum Member
Hello gang

Tomorrow (11th) is the office christmas do, starting with "office awards" and food at the office and followed by a trip to some mystery venue...

So the question is - do I bother going onto the mystery venue? It's likely to be crap - rumour has it we're going to Movida (how typically marketing, sweety (OMG! Celebs!) pathetic!

Anyway, mixing business with pleasure is frankly a really bad idea and I'm not sure I can be fooked!

Comments

• Dante AmecheDante Ameche Posts: 20,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can't make up your own mind because...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,807
    Forum Member
    If you can't be arsed going, then don't. I never went to any do's at my last job, made no excuses, just didn't attend them.
  • sadoldbirdsadoldbird Posts: 9,626
    Forum Member
    Office parties are often, but not always, shite. However, if you want to be part of the group dynamics, it's sometimes wise to make the best of it.
  • MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    sadoldbird wrote: »
    Office parties are often, but not always, shite. However, if you want to be part of the group dynamics, it's sometimes wise to make the best of it.

I agree, particularly if it's not a large firm. You can get away with non attendance if there are hundreds of people who work with you, otherwise it's bad manners and will be noticed. It's a gift from work essentially, don't throw it back at them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MAW wrote: »
    I agree, particularly if it's not a large firm. You can get away with non attendance if there are hundreds of people who work with you, otherwise it's bad manners and will be noticed. It's a gift from work essentially, don't throw it back at them.
    I agree. There are some staff that I get on very well with now, only because we first got to know each other at a Christmas do. That includes high management that a lot of people are too scared to say anything to.

OP, it's only one night, so is it really going to be so hard to show willing? What would you be doing instead? If it's hours of rubbish, at least you & the other staff will have something in common to grumble about, which is a good way of bonding with them. It's not as if you're being expected to pay loads for the night out - it's on the company, so make the most of it. :)
    Aatlae wrote: »
    Anyway, mixing business with pleasure is frankly a really bad idea and I'm not sure I can be fooked!
    It's hardly that! It's the office Christmas do - you're only being asked to eat & spend an evening with them, not shag half of them until their brains rattle right through to New Year's Eve. :D
  • MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    you're only being asked to eat & enjoy a night out with them, not shag half of them until their brains rattle.
    Golden rule, don't get so drunk you get these ideas confused. You could live to regret that.
  • PIDGASPIDGAS Posts: 3,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sadoldbird wrote: »

I agree with that. Ours is tomorrow evening but it's less of a party and more of a sit down meal - a rather staid affair.