Options

Where do they record the Lottery draw?

davadsdavads Posts: 8,652
Forum Member
Anybody know what studio it's done? Tonight's was hosted by Ore the sports guy, so I assumed it would have been done local to Salford. But the guest was Martin Shaw, talking about Hobson's Choice which he's doing in London.

So has Ore gone dahn south or Martin gone oop north...?

Comments

• Options
    technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it is south ..... Close to the M25
    But not made public ..... For security,
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pinewood, mentioned in numerous BBC press releases, not secret at all

They don't record, it's done live
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    Pinewood, mentioned in numerous BBC press releases, not secret at all

They don't record, it's done live

Oh, you know what I mean - *film*... :D
  • Options
    silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A break-in would be audacious; holding them at gunpoint and choosing your numbers ;):D
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deadly Alancoat often refers to Pinewood in his end credit voiceover.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Deadly Alancoat often refers to Pinewood in his end credit voiceover.

Ta. I've never paid that close attention to it :)

Regarding Ore, maybe he lives down south and commutes northwards to do the sport...
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They used to all be at BBC TV Centre apart from Euromillions which is done in Paris. Now the Saturday draw is filmed at TV Three at Pinewood and all other Lotto draws are broadcast online at the Lottery website filmed using their own facilities
  • Options
    zz9zz9 Posts: 10,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davads wrote: »
    Anybody know what studio it's done? Tonight's was hosted by Ore the sports guy, so I assumed it would have been done local to Salford. But the guest was Martin Shaw, talking about Hobson's Choice which he's doing in London.

So has Ore gone dahn south or Martin gone oop north...?

They record a whole years worth in advance, usually in January.

Strangely there's a high turnover in the crew. Every year they try to hire the same people again but they've all retired or moved to Barbados. Very odd.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    zz9 wrote: »
    They record a whole years worth in advance, usually in January.

Strangely there's a high turnover in the crew. Every year they try to hire the same people again but they've all retired or moved to Barbados. Very odd.

Oh, cut me some slack, I meant record as in "do", "make", "film" etc! :(

Anyway, thanks for the replies above :)
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

''Film'' is a means of recording
  • Options
    Forum Member

Blimey, you won't all let it lie will you? Sorry I asked now :(
  • Options
    SteveBentleySteveBentley Posts: 2,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally it was at TV Centre or wherever National Lottery Live's OB was. Then, after the Fathers for Justice incident, the draw portion went to an Arqiva studio that I believe was/is used by BFBS, before going to Pinewood.
  • Options
    Brendan MulcakyBrendan Mulcaky Posts: 719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Next stop - Pedant Central. Change here for splitting hair on the Wold.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I actually didn't mean that. Just thought I'd joke about it being recorded a year in advance and the crew all winning the jackpots. Wasn't a dig. :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And the early TV cameras recorded onto film, that then ran into a tank of developer before being scanned by the TV camera a couple of seconds later. :D
  • Options
    leslie123leslie123 Posts: 2,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But where is Alan Dedicoat based. If he is doing the voiceover for Strictly Come Dancing which is currently at Elstree ( but may move back to TV Centre next year) and that is live preceding National Lottery which is coming from Pinewood. Maybe he is somewhere neutral such as Broadcasting House.
  • Options
    fedmanfedman Posts: 1,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zz9 wrote: »
    And the early TV cameras recorded onto film, that then ran into a tank of developer before being scanned by the TV camera a couple of seconds later. :D

Er, sorry to be perdantic, but the process was :-
    Film camera - film development- film fixation-film washed- film (still wet) scanned by a telecine machine, and a little more than a couple of secs delay.
  • Options
    NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 15,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    leslie123 wrote: »
    But where is Alan Dedicoat based. If he is doing the voiceover for Strictly Come Dancing which is currently at Elstree ( but may move back to TV Centre next year) and that is live preceding National Lottery which is coming from Pinewood. Maybe he is somewhere neutral such as Broadcasting House.

I don’t know what location he does his lottery voiceover from... but isn’t his Strictly voiceover all pre-recorded anyway.
  • Options
    leslie123leslie123 Posts: 2,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NoEntry2k wrote: »
    I don’t know what location he does his lottery voiceover from... but isn’t his Strictly voiceover all pre-recorded anyway.

As he does not say a lot and mainly calls the judges names for the points repeatedly, this could well be the case, someone in the control room pressing a button or clicking a mouse.
  • Options
    TonyCurrieTonyCurrie Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and the quiz programme around the Lottery draw is recorded at Pacific Quay in Glasgow.
  • Options
    tedjrrtedjrr Posts: 2,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fedman wrote: »
    Er, sorry to be perdantic, but the process was :-
    Film camera - film development- film fixation-film washed- film (still wet) scanned by a telecine machine, and a little more than a couple of secs delay.

I've always wondered, what gauge of film did the intermediate film system use. Was it actually 35mm or something like 24mm?