MHEG BBC IPlayer switch off

paulj1paulj1 Posts: 64
Forum Member
Just started getting the message on the Foxsat HDR that the MHEG BBC IPlayer will be switching off in Sept 2016. Looks like a lot of people will need to buy another media streaming device if they don't have a smart TV. My TV has run out of HDMI ports so I've had to add an HDMI splitter box which just adds to the mass of cabling behind the TV stand. Gone are the days when one box would do everything.

http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/tv/v2_closure

Comments

• DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very true that one box (or TV) wont do it all these days, I guess thats life.
  • AntboxAntbox Posts: 4,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulj1 wrote: »
    "a very small number of TV’s and set-top boxes which are not able to use our current version of the TV app."

(List of 47 TVs and set top boxes, some as little as 2 years old.)
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paulj1 wrote: »
    Just started getting the message on the Foxsat HDR that the MHEG BBC IPlayer will be switching off in Sept 2016. Looks like a lot of people will need to buy another media streaming device if they don't have a smart TV. My TV has run out of HDMI ports so I've had to add an HDMI splitter box which just adds to the mass of cabling behind the TV stand. Gone are the days when one box would do everything.

http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/tv/v2_closure

Why didn't you use a auto HDMI switch ? Suspect you did, there is a big difference between a splitter and a switch. Splitter sends one output to more than one device. Switch expands the number of possible inputs to a single HDMI port. If the latter don't see the problem, it's just one extra HDMI cable. The Foxsat-HDR dates from 2008, technology has moved on, Your replacement will offer BBC Iplayer in HD quality and much better pictures and for as little as £10.00 or so. Did you say the same when analogue TV was turned off. Broadcasters cannot support platforms for ever..