Options

Was BBC2 colour initially free?

RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,357
Forum Member
✭✭✭
AIUI, BBC2 went colour in 1967, yet the Colour Supplement to the TV Licence didn't start until 1968.

Does this mean that people had colour TV at no extra cost for a time?

Was this deliberate to drive up take up of the new service (in the same way that Sky was initially free until enough homes had the service installed)?

Did those with a colour TV in preparation for the new service need a colour licence if there wasn't a colour signal yet available?

The TV was technologically capable of receiving colour pictures, but in the literal sense of the word 'capable', it couldn't if there was no colour signal available.

At a guess I'd say that they didn't, but as soon as their local TX was colourised, they'd need the appropriate licence.

Comments

• Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The colour TV licence of £10 came into effect on January 1, 1968. It would have been worth about £156 at today's values.The licence funded the expansion of the BBC transmitter network and converting BBC studios to colour.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    The colour TV licence of £10 came into effect on January 1, 1968. It would have been worth about £156 at today's values.The licence funded the expansion of the BBC transmitter network and converting BBC studios to colour.

Interesting that the TV licence today is cheaper in real terms at £145.50, yet much more is provided.
  • Options
    technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting that the TV licence today is cheaper in real terms at £145.50, yet much more is provided.

Yes .. Tony hall has this one sheet of paper
    http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/bbc-20-years-comp.pdf
  • Options
    lovedoctor1978lovedoctor1978 Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Now you've done it! :D
    This thread will be 60 pages long by the morning and your OP wont be mentioned once. :D
  • Options
    Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member

So long as you don't want TV programmes that are worth watching!
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now you've done it! :D
    This thread will be 60 pages long by the morning and your OP wont be mentioned once. :D

Maybe you should ask the mods to delete all the posts about this from that point on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advice/warning.

I'm not making any statement about the rights or wrongs about the TV licence system, i'm just curious as to the history of it during the changeover to colour.

It seems to be the usual case of the law taking time to catch up with new technology.

Can people who wish to discuss this please a use more appropriate thread :)
  • Options
    Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When first introduced the colour licence was basic +£4.
  • Options
    mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When first introduced the colour licence was basic +£4.

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_licensing_in_the_United_Kingdom#History

The BBC started regular TV transmissions in colour from the summer of 1967.[47] On 1 January 1968, a 'colour supplement' of £5 was added to the existing £5 monochrome licence fee; the combined colour licence fee was therefore £10, the equivalent of £156.4 as of 2015. The current (2010–2016) cash cost is £145.50 for colour TV
  • Options
    Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, but Wiki is wrong! The licence was £6 plus £4 for the colour, same total but different ratio.
  • Options
    mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, but Wiki is wrong! The licence was £6 plus £4 for the colour, same total but different ratio.

Well, just out of interest, so is this site http://blog.nationalmediamuseum.org.uk/the-decline-of-black-and-white-tv/

Colour broadcasts began on BBC2 in 1967, arriving on ITV and BBC1 in 1969. To support the costs, colour TV licences were introduced on 1st January 1968, costing £10 – twice the price of the standard £5 black and white TV license. Today, the colour license costs £145.50

and this site http://sixtiescity.net/Television/Licences.htm

1965-1966 Television licences cost £5

1967 Following BBC2's first colour transmissions a £5 supplementary licence is introduced for colour television
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sales of TV licences (radio licences excluded)

1967: Monochrome 14,267,271
    1968: Monochrome 15,068,079/colour 20,428
    1969: 15,396,642/99,419
    1970: 15,609,131/273,397
    1971: 15,333,221/609,969
    1972: 15,023,691/1,634,760
    1973: 13,792,623/3,331,996
    1974|: 11,766,424/5,558,146

Source: BBC Handbook 1975
  • Options
    swb1964swb1964 Posts: 4,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Technology has made programme making much cheaper for one thing.
  • Options
    Paul W. HPaul W. H Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    swb1964 wrote: »
    Technology has made programme making much cheaper for one thing.
    But many of the people appearing in the programs want a lot more money.
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In 1968 im guessing there were far less over 75s who got a free licence.
    Of no importance whatever to this thread.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    Maybe you should ask the mods to delete all the posts about this from that point on.

I thought I had read at least one post that answered it quite early in the thread i.e. date of start of colour transmissions and date of start of colour TV LIcence.?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    roddydogs wrote: »

There were no ''free' licences in 1968 although there were reductions for the blind.
    Radio-only licences were abolished on February 1, 1971 so from that date television-only licences were issued.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    I thought I had read at least one post that answered it quite early in the thread i.e. date of start of colour transmissions and date of start of colour TV LIcence.?

Yes it was likely before said post that could cause issues, thankfully it doesn't seem to have done so!
  • Options
    technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Of course there were none then .....
    It was the last labour government who paid for them as part of their social policy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course there were none then .....
    It was the last labour government who paid for them as part of their social policy.

Adopted by the Conservative government and now left to the BBC to sort out after 2020......
  • Options
    lincsatlincsat Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe regular Colour tests started around Summer/Autumn 1966. I was semi-quarantined to Home and must have seen every "Trade test Colour film" albeit in B&W many times
  • Options
    Zeropoint1Zeropoint1 Posts: 10,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Adopted by the Conservative government and now left to the BBC to sort out after 2020......

That has to be one of the greatest stitching up of the BBC that any government could inflict. If the BBC end the free licences it's an outrage and if they continue it wastes them millions.

You almost have to admire that level of scheming. It certainly beats the current death by a thousand cuts policy which is in full swing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lincsat wrote: »
    I believe regular Colour tests started around Summer/Autumn 1966. I was semi-quarantined to Home and must have seen every "Trade test Colour film" albeit in B&W many times

I doubt there were any transmitters equipped to carry colour in the summer of 1966 apart from perhaps Crystal Palace.Wikipedia suggests they started in the autumn of 1967.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There were no ''free' licences in 1968 although there were reductions for the blind.
    Radio-only licences were abolished on February 1, 1971 so from that date television-only licences were issued.

Before the current 50% discount scheme that the Blair Government introduced, I remember that blind people received a paltry discount of........£1.25!!!

This was obviously introduced many years previously and never uprated.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zeropoint1 wrote: »
    That has to be one of the greatest stitching up of the BBC that any government could inflict. If the BBC end the free licences it's an outrage and if they continue it wastes them millions.

You almost have to admire that level of scheming. It certainly beats the current death by a thousand cuts policy which is in full swing.

Thats why those of us that know the truth need to educate everyone we can that its the government actually cutting the over 75s free licences using the BBC as a front!
    Then people can rightfully aim their anger at the government and oust them at the next election!