My cat has disappeared

alfiewozerealfiewozere Posts: 29,508
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My elderly cat Josh has been getting very rickety for a while now and has taken to snoozing in his basket in front of the fire nearly all day and night, with brief excursions to the litter tray and to eat. He's nearly 16. Last night he was breathing very shallowly in his sleep, although he purred when I stroked him, so didn't seem to be in any pain. This morning his basket is empty and I can't find him. He must be somewhere in the house because he can't get outside. Do you think he might have gone somewhere to die?:(

Comments

• lorrylorry Posts: 2,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Awww I don't really know what to say except I hope you find him soon and that he's ok.

Maybe he's just found somewhere really quiet and cosy for a sleep, like they do sometimes. My cats sometimes snooze behind the settee, or in a cupboard or wardrobe, and for hours at a time so I think they've gone missing but they turn up eventually.

Hope this is the case with your Josh.
  • 19711971 Posts: 1,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    same as above ^^
  • michelle666michelle666 Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aww, I hope you've found him.
    I don't know if it's as cold where you are as it is here at the moment, but my cats have been sleeping in odd places over the past few days (I found Frodo behind the freezer last night!) and I think it's just that they're trying to keep warm.
  • Iggy's BoyIggy's Boy Posts: 3,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought my cat was out for ages yesterday. I was looking out in the garden, shaking the food bag, etc.

After a few hours I saw her crawling out from a box under my bed and have a massive stretch and wander over to her bowl to chow down!

If your cat definitely can't leave your home, don't worry, they'll turn up when they get hungry.
  • alfiewozerealfiewozere Posts: 29,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still can't find him - I have looked everywhere. Our house is a rambling old Victorian semi, with cellars and 5 bedrooms, and me and my daughter have gone through every room, calling him, looking under beds, behind settee's - no joy. I am getting worried now.
  • flakecakeflakecake Posts: 1,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cats can be so hard to find but if he can't get out of the house he must be somewhere. Is there definitely not a way out for him? Do any of the cellar rooms lead to an outside opening and could he have got down there anyway?
  • freshfresh Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    if your house is that big, I would suggest maybe putting tiny bits of food all over the place, in each room then maybe have some trail of treats leading into one room.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fresh wrote: »
    if your house is that big, I would suggest maybe putting tiny bits of food all over the place, in each room then maybe have some trail of treats leading into one room.
    I found him, he was sleeping under my daughter's bed, behind a suitcase, on an old duvet. When I picked him up, I could feel a massive lump in his tummy. He has had some food and is now sleeping under the armchair in the front room. Should I take him to the vet tomorrow? He's still purring.
  • fitnessqueenfitnessqueen Posts: 5,185
    Forum Member
    I found him, he was sleeping under my daughter's bed, behind a suitcase, on an old duvet. When I picked him up, I could feel a massive lump in his tummy. He has had some food and is now sleeping under the armchair in the front room. Should I take him to the vet tomorrow? He's still purring.

Glad you found him Alfie but yes I would take him to the vet tomorrow if you have found a lump.
  • flakecakeflakecake Posts: 1,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad to hear you found him. One of my cats has a hiding place in my house, (and my house isn't that big), and I still don't know where it is. I think she's out after searching the whole house for her, go out into the garden and start calling her, and she'll come running out the back door having been inside the whole time. I'd love to know where she hides :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am convinced Josh is ready to pass away - he usually sleeps in his basket by the fire, but he's sleeping in the most inaccessible places now. He purrs when we stroke him and is receptive to cuddles, but as soon as he's left to his own devices, he hides himself away - most unlike him. This lump in his stomach concerns me - I am wondering if he knows he has a serious illness and wants privacy? I don't know what to do for the best - he's not in any pain.:(
  • tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am convinced Josh is ready to pass away - he usually sleeps in his basket by the fire, but he's sleeping in the most inaccessible places now. He purrs when we stroke him and is receptive to cuddles, but as soon as he's left to his own devices, he hides himself away - most unlike him. This lump in his stomach concerns me - I am wondering if he knows he has a serious illness and wants privacy? I don't know what to do for the best - he's not in any pain.:(

I would be inclined to take him to the vet as a precaution.
  • freshfresh Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    so sad to hear this and how cats are wanting to be on their own if they have an illness (I didnt know about this) :(

please tell us what happens when you take him to the vet :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will take him to the vet tomorrow morning. I don't want any invasive treatment because of his age, but I want him to be comfortable. If the vet says he's in pain, or will be, then, oh dear *deep breath* my poor boy:cry:
  • fitnessqueenfitnessqueen Posts: 5,185
    Forum Member
    I will take him to the vet tomorrow morning. I don't want any invasive treatment because of his age, but I want him to be comfortable. If the vet says he's in pain, or will be, then, oh dear *deep breath* my poor boy:cry:

So sad for you Alfie- let us know how he gets on (((hugs))) :(
  • LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,132
    Forum Member
    Hi OP, so sorry to hear about your cat.

Cats commonly seek out private places to sleep when they are ill (bottom of wardrobes are common).

Cats conceal pain extremely well, and often 'purr inappropriately' to comfort themselves. You don't say if he is eating okay, but I would think that with a large mass in his stomach, he would be feeling quite unwell.

I would most definitely take him to the vet asap tomorrow. They will not recommend invasive procedures if you don't want them but should be able to assess and advise if it is 'time'. Best of luck.
  • wildpumpkinwildpumpkin Posts: 1,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh dear, it sounds Josh wants to be by himself. :cry: Alfie, you will do the right thing I know .......hope this poem helps if the decision has to be made......

If it should be that I grow frail and weak
    and pain should keep me from my sleep,
    Then you must do what must be done,
    For this last battle can't be won.

You will be sad, I understand.
    Don't let this grief then stay your hand.
    For this day more than all the rest,
    Your love and friendship stand the test.

We've had so many happy years
    What is to come can hold no fears.
    You'd not want me to suffer, so
    When the time comes let me go.

Take me to where my needs they'll tend
    Only, stay with me till the end.
    And hold me firm, and speak to me,
    Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time you too will see
    It is a kindness you do to me.
    Though my tail its last has waved
    From pain and suffering I've been saved.

Don't grieve that it should be you
    Who has to decide this thing to do.
    We've been so close we all these years
    Don't let your heart hold any tears.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you so much for the poem Wildpumpkin:cry: It's lovely.
  • tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh dear, it sounds Josh wants to be by himself. :cry: Alfie, you will do the right thing I know .......hope this poem helps if the decision has to be made......

That is beautiful.
  • TissyTissy Posts: 45,748
    Forum Member
    Just wondered if there was any news on Josh ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,333
    Forum Member

aww I'm crying at my desk!!! :'( xx
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,333
    Forum Member
    Tissy wrote: »
    Just wondered if there was any news on Josh ?

Yes, what's the latest? Hope you're ok xx
  • wildpumpkinwildpumpkin Posts: 1,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Emzie21 wrote: »
    Yes, what's the latest? Hope you're ok xx

Was hoping OP would have been on to let us know how Josh was! :(
  • dollylovesshoesdollylovesshoes Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ahh poor darling, as other posters have said cats when not well will hide and the purring is often when they are not well,:(

Do hope you get a *good* result from the vet Alfie.:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry for the lack of news - the vet says my boy has an inoperable tumour and the kindest thing is to let him go. So I will...but only after my children have said goodbye - Josh has been a major part of their childhood :( My two sons are coming home at the weekend (they are at university) and then I will take Josh back to the vets next Monday. :cry:
    Meanwhile, he is back in his basket by the fire, asleep, being handfed scraps of ham and teaspoons of milk when he's awake, by my daughter.