Utopia, C4&HD, 10pm, 15-22-29 Jan 5-12 Feb

Comments

• drykiddrykid Posts: 1,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gatehouse wrote: »
    Although there isn't actually any Russian Flu: everyone killed at Fetlar was killed by chemical poisoning (and it's there in the tents-check out the yellow cylinder's above the bodies).
    Ahh yeah, I forgot about the chemical poisoning. But still they are trying to create the perception of a flu epidemic in order to sell their vaccine, so in that sense the "russian flu" is their creation, even if it isn't a real flu.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vexille1 wrote: »
    Have to say I've not noticed any vignetting in Utopia; does the OP mean the masking of the aspect ratio?
    Hopefully not :p If you look at the trailer there is definitely a subtle vignetting effect, at least in the outdoor shots:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drh2HiEAj3c

Although as far as I can see it's only being done at the left and right of the image, and not top / bottom (possibly because that would reduce the "cinematic" impact of the letterboxed effect? Actually come to think of it if it was filmed in 16:9 and then matted to 2.35:1 then it's possible that the effect was originally there top / bottom but it's hidden by the mattes)
  • lummicklummick Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Haven't seen the latest ep yet (wife won't watch it, so got to wait till she isn't around :mad: ) but just wondered about something I noticed in the last one.

When Becky and Wilson go for a walk to check the phone, her appearance totally changes between inside the house and outside - inside, she's wearing a shirt and a tee shirt with a horse on the front, and her hair is down; by the time they get outside, she's wearing a jacket with a blue sweatshirt thing underneath, and her hair is tied up.
    I'm sure I'm over analysing this, and it's just a continuity cockup, it just seems a biggie for such a stylish and well-made prog as this one.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    3) The phone given to the gang contains a tracking device: the phone given them by Milner? This at least backs up my "they always know where they are" story vis a vis Skinhead, Arby, etc. They also know where they are now...so why haven't they taken them out?
    Milner's phone tracked them, but this doesn't explain how they were tracked before she gave it to them (which is when we saw the skinhead). And contrariwise, if they were being tracked before, they didn't really need the phone.
    drykid wrote: »
    I read it more that Dugdale phoned the police, and that's why he left the room, though admittedly if that's the case then his motivation isn't clear at this stage. There was a shot of him after the police arrived where he didn't look particularly surprised.
    Yes, the police were only after Grant - and had no reason to be watching the house for him. Someone must have called them, almost certainly Dugdale.

I thought Ian was foolish to hand over all the vaccine. There was plenty there, so he could have kept half.
    His motive is clear: he's made his deal (ahem) with the Network, so he's one of them now. One look from his wife was enough for him to buckle. And all that I said about him being a man who lies and bluffs and sleeps with **** rather than our hero came home to roost tonight!
    I agree with Poolio. Dugdale couldn't afford the risk, and without the vaccine or the manuscript, Ian, Grant and Alice are not important. The Network seemed to lose interest in them a while ago.
    Grant's in deep doo-doo. The only person capable of clearing him is Arby if he fesses up, and that would take some unlikely acrobatics to pull off in one episode.
    Well, it was suggested earlier that the case against Grant wasn't strong enough to stand up in court. Closer inspection may show that the CCTV was tampered with, that the gun was traceable elsewhere. I don't think the Network will care much, especially if Arby is dead.
    That was all for @johnF1971, but hopefully it well help some others who are feeling confused!
    Good post; it accords with my understanding. I'd add that the whole Russion Flu things appears to be merely a field test, on the UK. In 3 months they'll know if it works, and then they hope to roll it out world-wide.

(Which I think would be tricky. Once people start becoming infertile, I'd have thought the reason would be traced, and I doubt the whole world will fall for the Russian Flu scam again.)
  • GatehouseGatehouse Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    The vaccine is refrigerated-it's probably got to be kept at a very specific temperature range, it's kept in a very high-tech box: taking some out wouldn't work, he had to either take it all or leave it all.

I don't think there'd be any problems creating worldwide panic-you only have to look at the reaction to Bird Flu. And as my pdf link on eugenics a few pages back says, the Third World is easily blinded by Western medicine.
  • Vexille1Vexille1 Posts: 985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hopefully not :p If you look at the trailer there is definitely a subtle vignetting effect, at least in the outdoor shots:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drh2HiEAj3c

Although as far as I can see it's only being done at the left and right of the image, and not top / bottom (possibly because that would reduce the "cinematic" impact of the letterboxed effect? Actually come to think of it if it was filmed in 16:9 and then matted to 2.35:1 then it's possible that the effect was originally there top / bottom but it's hidden by the mattes)
    Yes I see what you man but barely - surely not worth commenting on, and I'm pretty nerdy about that sort of thing. Still, each to his own, and well spotted! As for the A/R, I rather suspect it was shot in 2.35:1 rather than 16:9 and masked, though may be wrong.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vexille1 wrote: »
    Yes I see what you man but barely - surely not worth commenting on, and I'm pretty nerdy about that sort of thing.
    I guess it comes down to how interested you are in the look of the show and how it's achieved; I doubt most people would care, true. But it's interesting to me because I've been struck from the start by how distinctive the look of the show is, but if you'd asked me to actually say what makes it distinctive then I'd have been struggling, not being a cinematographer. But I suspect the overall "look" is a combination of subtle things like that, which when combined, become greater than the sum of the parts.

On the other hand they could've made the effect much more obvious, but then I don't think it would've worked nearly so well.
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched the last episode this morning when I got up. Very intruiging!
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is Wilson one of them - as he let him escape???:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is Wilson one of them - as he let him escape???:confused:
    I doubt it; I think he was just persuaded by the logic of Letts arguments about over-population. Remember that he told the other two that Letts had a good point. If he was really planning to help him escape all along then it doesn't make sense that he would voluntarily express sympathy for Letts, since that would logically make the others watch him more closely just in case.

Of course you could argue that he's one of them now even if he wasn't before, since he's effectively committed himself by letting Letts escape.
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt it; I think he was just persuaded by the logic of Letts arguments about over-population. Remember that he told the other two that Letts had a good point. If he was really planning to help him escape all along then it doesn't make sense that he would voluntarily express sympathy for Letts, since that would logically make the others watch him more closely just in case.
    Of course you could argue that he's one of them now even if he wasn't before, since he's effectively committed himself by letting Letts escape.

Double bluff?

I'm not so sure any more:o:(
  • GatehouseGatehouse Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    Talking of double bluff...seems that Dugdale may redeem himself and/or not have called the cops! Enough with the "there are no sides"!

Soooooo...either:
    a) Cops/MI5/Network had Dugdale staked out (Milner knew about him due to this). Bit of a no-brainer that they would be watching him 24/7, tbh.
    b) Someone on the Guardian thread reckons he called Donaldson-who sprung the cops on them. Possible-he may well be Rabbit if it isn't Assistant or Carvel (remember, he's our character who's been in Asia and "plays everybody off against each other".
    c) Dugdale knew he was being watched and so had no choice but to call the cops or lose everything-doesn't mean he's a Network lacky, just means he isn't stoopid ;)

As to how he ends up crashed on a sofa in one the (remaining rump) of the gangs stately homes looking gutted is of course an entirely different matter!
  • VicsMumVicsMum Posts: 5,666
    Forum Member
    I forgot to put the link to the Guardian blog on Tuesday:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2013/feb/12/utopia-episode-five
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been hot and cold with this series, but that was definitely the best episode yet. Hard to see where a second season could go though
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,200
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unrelated note but does anyone else really like the theme tune to this show? :)

Check back and also check out the few threads there are to see the theme and incidental music is a big hit with the viewers. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lummick wrote: »
    Haven't seen the latest ep yet (wife won't watch it, so got to wait till she isn't around :mad: ) but just wondered about something I noticed in the last one.

When Becky and Wilson go for a walk to check the phone, her appearance totally changes between inside the house and outside - inside, she's wearing a shirt and a tee shirt with a horse on the front, and her hair is down; by the time they get outside, she's wearing a jacket with a blue sweatshirt thing underneath, and her hair is tied up.
    I'm sure I'm over analysing this, and it's just a continuity cockup, it just seems a biggie for such a stylish and well-made prog as this one.

It's allowed for a story's continuity to not show every costume change, ablution and act of grooming. If you like that sort of thing then Twilight is your movie ;)

I think it is reasonable to assume Becky changed her costume and put her hair up. It's only annoying if they do it several times during a conversation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The vaccine is refrigerated-it's probably got to be kept at a very specific temperature range, it's kept in a very high-tech box: taking some out wouldn't work, he had to either take it all or leave it all.

I don't think there'd be any problems creating worldwide panic-you only have to look at the reaction to Bird Flu. And as my pdf link on eugenics a few pages back says, the Third World is easily blinded by Western medicine.

You've morphed into Wilson Wilson! :eek: ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess it comes down to how interested you are in the look of the show and how it's achieved; I doubt most people would care, true.

Quite the contrary, There's plenty of comments around that suggests many viewers have been seduced by the look of the show. This is a good thing and I hope directors and cinematographers get to hear how appreciative we are of their efforts. It's great work!

Have you noticed how many fixed shots there are without all that gentle camera wobble that can leave you feeling a little seasick? These guys clearly knew what they wanted and were given the freedom to do it. I hope they're suitably rewarded with a few meaningful awards.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting to see Arby's snacks have been customised for the show. With the intriguing african shaped grapevine and 1g of PROTEIN I looked for more easter eggs.

With the American spelling of fibre I thought it might be suggesting a US link - despite the CIA knowing nothing! Further inspection, however, shows ingredients spelled the "I don't give a second-thought about spelling" way and with only 2000 calories hailed as the average daily intake this cannot be American.
  • VicsMumVicsMum Posts: 5,666
    Forum Member
    I don't want this to have a second series. It'd go to Lost route and I'm perfectly happy with a good ending (hopefully) that will be on my memory for a long time. The opposite would be waiting for a second series that surely will be a disappointment.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    Just watched this episode, could it be that dugdale didn't call the cops and was just imagining what would happen whilst standing holding the phone?

It's certainly a show that needs to be watched with full attention, I love it, but it gives me the creeps.
  • fallfallfallfallfallfall Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    not that i want to die but are there any sites that have pics of the manuscript?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just crashed this series in 5 episodes straight and I can't wait till Tuesday!

Absolutely gripping stuff, hope the ending lives up to it!
  • ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    VicsMum wrote: »
    I don't want this to have a second series. It'd go to Lost route and I'm perfectly happy with a good ending (hopefully) that will be on my memory for a long time. The opposite would be waiting for a second series that surely will be a disappointment.

From the demographic the show is reaching, I would guess Channel 4 may go for another series.

I have to say I was concerned about a Lost/Heroes-esque bottomless narrative ... but this week's episode rather reassured me.

The really big question is: why on earth did Sky turn this down? :eek::confused: It's a million miles better than their generally dreadful attempts at homegrown drama. Clearly someone there has lost the plot - Utopia could have significantly raised Sky One's credibility.
  • Brain DonorBrain Donor Posts: 1,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    not that i want to die but are there any sites that have pics of the manuscript?

There are a few on the facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/UtopiaChannel4?ref=ts&fref=ts