Martin Freeman's partner 'declared bankrupt'..

Comments

• sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,007
    Forum Member
    Helbore wrote: »
    Nah, people just want him to pay because he's rich and famous. Bugger the law, because he's rich. Law good when it protects the little folk. Law bad when it also protects rich man. Its just reverse snobbery and engineered outrage by the tabloids.
    Well if it is 'engineered outrage by the tabloids' I suppose its tit-for-tat for all the same engineered outrage at people on benefits.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    Martin Freeman could help, pfft what a git he is.
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helbore wrote: »
    Nah, people just want him to pay because he's rich and famous. Bugger the law, because he's rich. Law good when it protects the little folk. Law bad when it also protects rich man. Its just reverse snobbery and engineered outrage by the tabloids.

Being famous is nothing to do with it. I would have the same point of view about anybody in the same circumstances. If he was a banker would people be sympathetic to him? probably not in today's climate.

My view is that if you are in a long term partnership and have children together then you are as good as married. Letting your partner be declared bankrupt is shameful when you could easily afford to pay off the debt.

I will avoid watching anything with Mr Meanie in from now on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whatever54 wrote: »
    quite, I know people get put on the wrong tax code but would take a while to accrue £120K debt. Very annoying much like the Martine debacle

True and how much has she earned and pocketed to run up a £120,000 tax bill?
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well if it is 'engineered outrage by the tabloids' I suppose its tit-for-tat for all the same engineered outrage at people on benefits.

I agree. I don't fall for all the outrage over the evil benefits claimants, either. Heck, I don't take half the stuff published in the tabloids seriously, as its all half-truths, warped statements and clever use of language to twist stories in a way that wil make them more outrageous or sensational than they really are.
  • missymorganmissymorgan Posts: 581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How do we know he actually has that amount of cash available? He could be making sure he doesn't get hit with a similar tax bill, invested the money, put it in trust for the kids and all sorts of other things that mean he doesn't have the cold, hard cash available?
  • BritFlicks1BritFlicks1 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If he had the cash to bail her out he really should have. Bankruptcy is a very humiliating experience, by all accounts.
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If he had the cash to bail her out he really should have. Bankruptcy is a very humiliating experience, by all accounts.

People on here are very generous with other people's money.
  • BritFlicks1BritFlicks1 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kidspud wrote: »
    People on here are very generous with other people's money.

Well I don't have a lot of money but if I did and a friend or family member was facing financial ruin I'd help them out before seeing them dragged through the bankruptcy courts.

I don't know if Martin Freeman was financially secure enough to help but if he was he should've done.
  • violetcrawleyvioletcrawley Posts: 734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She is in the maltesers bunny ad with short blonde hair.
  • *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When people are assessed for benefits, the income of live in partners counts, and it should in these circumstances too.

Big fat lolz at the notion that letting yourself run up huge debts to the country whilst trying to match the life-style of your richer partner without the relevant income, then opting for bankruptcy is what an independent woman does.:rolleyes:

If they live together in a big house, with children together, then they should be sharing the bills too. If they wanted to keep their financial situations separate, they should have opted to live within the means of the least wealthy one of them.

Does anyone honestly think she'll be living frugally for the next few years?

I have sympathy for people who find themselves, through no fault of their own, in financial difficulty, and that includes people who make some stupid decisions. However, I am fed-up with rich people letting the bills stack up, then opting for bankruptcy. It's not as if they don't get warnings.

I know there are a few cases where there have been bad investments and things got out of hand, and there are people like Neil Morrissey who have pledged to work hard to pay back what he owes, and I have massive respect for that approach. Sadly, it doesn't seem to be the case here.

The sad thing is that I like(d) both of these people, and would have rated them amongst some of the more sound showbiz people. It's a fairly big blow to their reputations, one probably worth more than £120,000.
  • whatever54whatever54 Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    *Sparkle* wrote: »
    When people are assessed for benefits, the income of live in partners counts, and it should in these circumstances too.

Big fat lolz at the notion that letting yourself run up huge debts to the country whilst trying to match the life-style of your richer partner without the relevant income, then opting for bankruptcy is what an independent woman does.:rolleyes:

If they live together in a big house, with children together, then they should be sharing the bills too. If they wanted to keep their financial situations separate, they should have opted to live within the means of the least wealthy one of them.

Does anyone honestly think she'll be living frugally for the next few years?

I have sympathy for people who find themselves, through no fault of their own, in financial difficulty, and that includes people who make some stupid decisions. However, I am fed-up with rich people letting the bills stack up, then opting for bankruptcy. It's not as if they don't get warnings.

I know there are a few cases where there have been bad investments and things got out of hand, and there are people like Neil Morrissey who have pledged to work hard to pay back what he owes, and I have massive respect for that approach. Sadly, it doesn't seem to be the case here.

The sad thing is that I like(d) both of these people, and would have rated them amongst some of the more sound showbiz people. It's a fairly big blow to their reputations, one probably worth more than £120,000.

I know, I find it bewildering. I know it is the systems fault that this is allowed to happen but is madness. Are we to believe that during the time she ran up this huge tax bill she wasn't paying towards the house, children etc. I know that could be the case but seems unlikely.
    And like you say she's hardly going to be living frugally now, all this independent woman stuff is shi**. If that were the case she'll be paying Martin rent now;)
    I never knew much about her but have gone off them both now. I know legally it's not his debt and all that but it doesn't seem very fair, I'd put the situation on a par with Jimmy Carr and his tax avoidance
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *Sparkle* wrote: »

/QUOTE]

I thought it was a tax bill, do you know more about this?

How did she run up a tax bill by matching a lifestyle?
  • mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    Celebrity bankruptcy is a scam.
    I doubt the woman has any rent to pay,lives in a big house,has a millionaire partner and is currently in a hit TV show on ITV.
    Seeing bankrupt Kerry Katona's massive house on The Big Reunion is also another pointer to celebrity bankruptcy.
    Expecting recently bankrupt Martine McLucheon to buy a huge expensive property any day now ;-)
  • Marie_EbbMarie_Ebb Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    She is in the maltesers bunny ad with short blonde hair.

Never, is she really? I didn't know this
  • The NetThe Net Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    Ever thought that she may not want him too. She may be happy to live an independent life and deal with her own problems.

As a bankrupt living an independent life in a mansion in Herts with her kids still in private school. That independent life you mean?
  • *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was a tax bill, do you know more about this?

How did she run up a tax bill by matching a lifestyle?

It is about tax. Tax she owes to the country.

How else do you think she ended up with an unpaid tax bill? If she was living within her means, she'd not have run out of money.

I'm of the view that if you share a life with someone, including a home and children, then you share your expenses according to means. However, if you insist on paying your own way, you have to make sure that you do actually pay your own way, and that includes taxes.

You can't give someone credit for not sponging off of their rich partner, but think it's OK that they don't pay their tax bills on time. Trying to claim it's some kind of feminism is a farce, but I realise people on DS often have strange views on what feminism is, so nothing new there.

She's been working, and raising children, so it's not as if she's been lazy while he's been toiling away, so I don't see why there would be anything wrong with them sharing the bills anyway.
  • nafanny29nafanny29 Posts: 1,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bet you could count the number of girlfriends and boyfriends who have paid off their partner's tax bills on one hand.

Just because he has a few quid, doesn't mean he should pay it. Her debt, her problem.
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,007
    Forum Member
    nafanny29 wrote: »
    Just because he has a few quid, doesn't mean he should pay it. Her debt, her problem.
    It isn't her problem anymore though is it? Its the rest of us who pay our taxes. Maybe you're the kind of person who enjoys paying off debts of total strangers. Very generous of you too!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nafanny29 wrote: »
    I bet you could count the number of girlfriends and boyfriends who have paid off their partner's tax bills on one hand.

Of course you wouldn't pay the bill of a casual boyfriend or girlfriend. This is different though, even though they are not married, they are in a serious committed relationship and have children together. In these circumstances he should pay in my view.

I believe most couples in committed relationships do try to help each other out if they financially able to do so.
  • sconescone Posts: 14,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    haphash wrote: »
    Of course you wouldn't pay the bill of a casual boyfriend or girlfriend. This is different though, even though they are not married, they are in a serious committed relationship and have children together. In these circumstances he should pay in my view.

I believe most couples in committed relationships do try to help each other out if they financially able to do so.

Hmmm some do, some don't. I am one of the helpers and will donate money to my lovers etc, however the step dad will not and will not help my mum with money at all, in fact he will take it from her even though he has thousands stashed away, maybe Freeman is a tight ass
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scone wrote: »
    Hmmm some do, some don't. I am one of the helpers and will donate money to my lovers etc, however the step dad will not and will not help my mum with money at all, in fact he will take it from her even though he has thousands stashed away, maybe Freeman is a tight ass

Freeman is a tight ass and it sounds like your step dad is a tight ass too. I can't understand how people can claim to love their partners and then see them suffering with debts they can't pay if they are able to help. That is a strange sort of love.
  • sconescone Posts: 14,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    haphash wrote: »
    Freeman is a tight ass and it sounds like your step dad is a tight ass too. I can't understand how people can claim to love their partners and then see them suffering with debts they can't pay if they are able to help. That is a strange sort of love.

True and yes your assumption of the step dad is correct :D
  • Super_FurrySuper_Furry Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It isn't her problem anymore though is it? Its the rest of us who pay our taxes. Maybe you're the kind of person who enjoys paying off debts of total strangers. Very generous of you too!

You do realise that she still has to pay the tax bill, right?
    Being declared bankrupt doesn't wipe the slate clean.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You do realise that she still has to pay the tax bill, right?
    Being declared bankrupt doesn't wipe the slate clean.

This makes is worse in my view. If she has to pay come what may and has to sell off the family silver to do this it beggars belief that her common law husband hasn't at the very least lent her the money out of his purse. Surely it would be better if she owed him the money instead of the taxman. Unbelievable.