Martin Freeman's partner 'declared bankrupt'..

Comments

• SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they're raising children then almost certainly they're sharing household bills and finances to an extent - or is only one of them providing for the children's upbringing?? Unlikely. Thus, it's strange for one partner to allow the other to get into serious debt to the point of bankruptcy, not least the mother of his kids.

When you're part of a family you would at least try and pool resources to resolve this privately, if possible.
  • Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bit worrying for her if this relationship goes tits up. She's bankrupt & seemingly has no assets to her name. Sure he will have to pay maintenance for the children but she will find herself living a far more modest lifestlye though the children won't suffer & the private school fees paid etc. Not beng married really does go against you in these situations.

He doesn't want her name on the house, won't pay up to prevent her being declared bankrupt - how much does he truly love & trust his partner? Yet despite all these signs of not commitment he is happy to have children with her. If a partner bears you children you really should be happy to share everything such as the house etc. (and yes debts/tax bills) even if you earn far more money, that's what a true partnership is.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Tiger Rose wrote: »

He doesn't want her name on the house, won't pay up to prevent her being declared bankrupt - how much does he truly love & trust his partner?
    Yet despite all these signs of not commitment he is happy to have children with her. If a partner bears you children you really should be happy to share everything such as the house etc. (and yes debts/tax bills) even if you earn far more money, that's what a true partnership is.
    I'm sorry but I did have to laugh at this. We don't know them personally, we know nothing about their relationship, let's not decide what they do or don't want in their relationship :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sorry but I did have to laugh at this. We don't know them personally, we know nothing about their relationship, let's not decide what they do or don't want in their relationship :p

Exactly, I would imagine they have just saved themselves alot of money by declaring her bankrupt. Thankfully the house is not in her name, or it would be at risk... Anyway perhaps its a tax dispute, and its the HRMC thats made her bankrupt after refusal to pay? We don't know the real circumstances.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I just find it strange that people have been together all that time with children yet don't want to put the family home in both names.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bambii wrote: »
    Exactly, I would imagine they have just saved themselves alot of money by declaring her bankrupt. Thankfully the house is not in her name, or it would be at risk... Anyway perhaps its a tax dispute, and its the HRMC thats made her bankrupt after refusal to pay? We don't know the real circumstances.

Am pretty sure Mr Freeman would have stumped up for the tax bill if that were the case.
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i have said this before but the post was removed because of a sentence i wrongly included.

Mrs Freeman should be denied BBC work because of her tax issues, it is unacceptable for anyone who cannot pay their taxes to then take work which is funded by taxpayers, as some say the TVL is a tax then Mrs Freeman should not be able to obtain work at the BBC.
  • Saltydog1955Saltydog1955 Posts: 4,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i have said this before but the post was removed because of a sentence i wrongly included.

Mrs Freeman should be denied BBC work because of her tax issues, it is unacceptable for anyone who cannot pay their taxes to then take work which is funded by taxpayers, as some say the TVL is a tax then Mrs Freeman should not be able to obtain work at the BBC.

:D

If that was the case, the BBC would have a dearth of actors who'd be able to work for them, as so many seem to have been declared bankrupt both in the past and recently.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tax avoidance crook, plain and simple!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If that was the case, the BBC would have a dearth of actors who'd be able to work for them, as so many seem to have been declared bankrupt both in the past and recently.

True and there is another high profile figure at the BBC pondering the bankruptcy option which if they decide to go ahead with will make their position untenable, I can see the DM headline now, ' BBC star declares bankruptcy over HMRC demand yet continues to draw a taxpayer funded salary'

• whatever54whatever54 Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    True and there is another high profile figure at the BBC pondering the bankruptcy option which if they decide to go ahead with will make their position untenable, I can see the DM headline now, ' BBC star declares bankruptcy over HMRC demand yet continues to draw a taxpayer funded salary'

well you can't say that and then give no inkling or clue, come on dish the dirt:D Chris Patten:p
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,751
    Forum Member

So a doctor bankrupt for tax reasons would not be allowed to work for the NHS?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whatever54 wrote: »
    well you can't say that and then give no inkling or clue, come on dish the dirt:D Chris Patten:p

Think of a troublesome soap star.;)
  • Dancing GirlDancing Girl Posts: 8,209
    Forum Member
    Perhaps their relationship has broken down and that is why Martin has no desire to bail her out financially. Who knows. It is very much one law for them and another for us. It seems we are surrounded by celebs who go bankrupt but still lead a fabulous lifestyle. Kerry Katona, Martina, etc etc etc........Go off on exciting holidays (Kerry) and still have the nannies, houses, expensive cars although they have declared themselves bankrupt!! Hilarious.
    Forum Member
    Think of a troublesome soap star.;)

oooh Philth maybe? Another clue needed please:)
  • Dancing GirlDancing Girl Posts: 8,209
    Forum Member
    Tiger Rose wrote: »
    I just find it strange that people have been together all that time with children yet don't want to put the family home in both names.

Well, it is brilliant obviously, one partner can declare bankruptcy and the other can hang on to all their possessions! Only silly daft people like us actually get married and pay our taxes!! I am beginning to think it is fashionable to now be bankrupt as so many celebs are doing it. I used to think there was terrible shame attached to a bankrupcy court!!
    Forum Member
    Well, it is brilliant obviously, one partner can declare bankruptcy and the other can hang on to all their possessions! Only silly daft people like us actually get married and pay our taxes!! I am beginning to think it is fashionable to now be bankrupt as so many celebs are doing it. I used to think there was terrible shame attached to a bankrupcy court!!

I know stupid old us, Freeman & partner are probably laughing at us mugs for being so naive when it comes to tax and bankrupcy
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ....over a £120,000 tax bill. Seeing he's supposedly worth 10 million, perhaps he could have chipped in to help? Why do these celebs never save to pay their tax bills when they arrive?? Yes, I'm talking about you too Martine.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/news/a464686/martin-freemans-partner-amanda-abbington-declared-bankrupt.html

Its not uncommon for a tax claim to be estimated in order to get the defendant to submit their accounts
  • Saltydog1955Saltydog1955 Posts: 4,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ecckles wrote: »
    Its not uncommon for a tax claim to be estimated in order to get the defendant to submit their accounts

Doesn't really stop them saving their cash when they have it though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whatever54 wrote: »
    oooh Philth maybe? Another clue needed please:)

;):)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    So a doctor bankrupt for tax reasons would not be allowed to work for the NHS?

Big difference is that a doctor is a much needed and valuable resource for the NHS, she is just a crappy jobbing no mark talent free excuse for an actress.
  • violetcrawleyvioletcrawley Posts: 734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She has banged a role in Sherlock Holmes.
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I suppose sieeping with Watson probably helped :D
  • *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think she's a talented actress, and have no issue with her getting work. In fact, that's a good thing if only she would pay her taxes on time.

People are saying she has to pay it eventually, but most of us don't get to decide to defer paying tax for a few years, and it's costly to the state to have HMRC chasing these people all of the time.
  • googlekinggoogleking Posts: 15,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Let's hope she remembers to put some of her earnings from it aside for the eventual tax bill then, like the rest of us :D