Options

Operation Yewtree - First person to be charged found dead

i4ui4u Posts: 54,990
Forum Member
Found dead after missing first day of trial.
David Smith, a former BBC chauffeur and the first person to be charged as part of Operation Yewtree prompted by the exposure of Jimmy Savile as a serial sex abuser, has been found dead at his home.

Mr Smith, 66, was due to stand trial on Monday for allegedly abusing a 12-year-old boy in 1984. When he failed to arrive in court judges issued a warrant ordering Smith to appear the following day. But when officers arrived at his home in Lewisham, south-east London, on Monday afternoon they found a body.

Comments

• Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doesn't mean it's linked. It does question that those who have been charged could be innocent and could lead to someone taking their own life.
  • Options
    fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    I would say there is a very strong chance it was linked. He was caught and didn't want to go through a trial, so he took the ways way out.
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    Doesn't mean it's linked. It does question that those who have been charged could be incident and could lead to someone taking their own life.

...and what would you suggest is the alternative? letting the accused off?

i dont think an innocent person would take their own life, after all this time there has to be strong enough evidence.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24722248

the bbc story points out a history including prison.
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to the bbc, 22 convictions already.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wonder how many ex MP's and former cabinet staff are relieved he won't be telling all in court... Google - Elm Guest House...
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hate to sounds like a CT nut but i could easily see him being off'd to ensure that he couldn't say anything just in case as the people hinted at being involved were/are powerful and i'm sure they could afford to have some old bloke silenced quite easily
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    Hate to sounds like a CT nut but i could easily see him being off'd to ensure that he couldn't say anything just in case as the people hinted at being involved were/are powerful and i'm sure they could afford to have some old bloke silenced quite easily

That would backfire though as conspiracy nut would want to investigate the case even more
  • Options
    Dancing GirlDancing Girl Posts: 8,209
    Forum Member
    How can anyone with 22 prior convictions for child abuse be Walking around and living in Lewisham!!!!!! Why wasn't he kept in prison? He was a Walking danger to any Young Boys in the area. What exactly do you have to do in UK to be sent to prison and get a reasonable sentence????? He obviously was a repeat offender, with a life Long problem and nothing was done about it!! Bizarre.
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How can anyone with 22 prior convictions for child abuse be Walking around and living in Lewisham!!!!!! Why wasn't he kept in prison? He was a Walking danger to any Young Boys in the area. What exactly do you have to do in UK to be sent to prison and get a reasonable sentence????? He obviously was a repeat offender, with a life Long problem and nothing was done about it!! Bizarre.

It is quite laughable that the police could not find him in 2002 despite the fact that he was in prison.
    22 previous convictions for similar offences. Really unbelievable.
  • Options
    soundchecksoundcheck Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    ...and what would you suggest is the alternative? letting the accused off?

i dont think an innocent person would take their own life, after all this time there has to be strong enough evidence.

My dad did, several years after the case collapsed when the allegations were found to be wholly malicious. The whispering never stopped.

Mind you, he didn't have 22 previous convictions for child abuse.

Of course, if this man DID have 22 previous convictions of a similar nature and was - in this particular case - completely innocent, he might well have been driven to despair and believed that there was no point protesting his innocence because nobody would believe him.

It's unlikely that we will ever know.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My guess is that he knew the right people. It is unbelievable how they never caught up with him. I'm thinking the police in his area probably knew that he had information on powerful people, so didn't bother going after him. Anyone else and he'd have been monitored and the police would have known his exact whereabouts.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A cynic would say that someone got to him before he could dish any dirt.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soundcheck wrote: »
    My dad did, several years after the case collapsed when the allegations were found to be wholly malicious. The whispering never stopped.

Mind you, he didn't have 22 previous convictions for child abuse.

Of course, if this man DID have 22 previous convictions of a similar nature and was - in this particular case - completely innocent, he might well have been driven to despair and believed that there was no point protesting his innocence because nobody would believe him.

It's unlikely that we will ever know.

If he was innocent of the charges, that could very well have been the case. Thinking about it more, he could have been innocent of this crime. This charge can be pinned to him now though, what with him being dead. This is what the police down there might think.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A cynic would say that someone got to him before he could dish any dirt.

Could be this as well. People in power could probably get away with anything if they're the right people.
  • Options
    luckylegsluckylegs Posts: 7,400
    Forum Member
    Two more arrested under Operation Yewtree 'others'.

http://news.sky.com/story/1161137/savile-sex-abuse-investigation-two-arrests
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fefster wrote: »
    I would say there is a very strong chance it was linked. He was caught and didn't want to go through a trial, so he took the ways way out.

If found guilty though, he'd have been out by Christmas, so no need to have topped himself, as its only weeks away.
  • Options
    PamthehoundPamthehound Posts: 5,333
    Forum Member
    Technically hes still innocent of these charges no matter what his past was or may have been.
  • Options
    Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmm. I have a suspicion we're only skimming the surface.
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    luckylegs wrote: »
    Two more arrested under Operation Yewtree 'others'.

http://news.sky.com/story/1161137/savile-sex-abuse-investigation-two-arrests

Some were arrested in the past and we're well known, but charges dropped. I think some may know who l mean.
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone else has been arrested now, better not post who, as probably get deleted, but its all over the news.
  • Options
    NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    Grouty wrote: »
    Someone else has been arrested now, better not post who, as probably get deleted, but its all over the news.

Yes the 64 year old has been named by the BBC on twitter. It is now in the public domain.
  • Options
    wavlovrwavlovr Posts: 3,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nosedive wrote: »
    Yes the 64 year old has been named by the BBC on twitter. It is now in the public domain.
    Wow Sky has it in big letters on the bottom of the screen
    :eek:
  • Options
    OHFanOHFan Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    The first Yewtree suspect is the sign that the police investigation is turning to a HIV/AIDS disease which killed many of household names. I think there would be more Yewtree casualties in the months to come.
  • Options
    ValderyValdery Posts: 4,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OHFan wrote: »
    The first Yewtree suspect is the sign that the police investigation is turning to a HIV/AIDS disease which killed many of household names. I think there would be more Yewtree casualties in the months to come.

The "Yewtree" casualties and offshoots of that "Operation" have been killing themselves for years, ever since they were abused and are still doing so when they can no longer live with the appalling fallout from that abuse.