Beth Tweddle Twitter abuse during a Q&A session

Comments

• kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    Inkblot wrote: »
    I certainly hope that the word "lesbian" isn't an insult.

That's how this has been taken, as "abuse", so draw your own conclusions.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am so sick of this. It's like being a woman on the internet automatically means it's fine to be abused, no other reasons needed just having the audacity to be a female who has opinions is enough. Twitter is so bloody useless at even attempting to regulate this sort of thing...what message does it send out?

It's not just women who get abuse online though. Several male sports stars have faced abuse in recent months.
  • pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am so sick of this. It's like being a woman on the internet automatically means it's fine to be abused, no other reasons needed just having the audacity to be a female who has opinions is enough. Twitter is so bloody useless at even attempting to regulate this sort of thing...what message does it send out?
    To be fair, I don't think it's anything to do with the internet. You just need to look at the Lord Rennard thread in the politics forum to see that for many people, being a woman in real life automatically means it's fine to be abused...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not just women who get abuse online though. Several male sports stars have faced abuse in recent months.
    The abuse women get is different in both quantity and type - they're much more likely to get sexual abuse, rape threats, etc.

Here's a white male SF author talking about how much less crap he gets than women online do, for instance.

Edit: Ah, this is actually more what I was looking for - an essay about the subject that links to studies showing that women get more abuse.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am so bloody sick of people expecting website owners to fix all the problems with users abuse. All they can do is react to complaints when incidents happen which they do. Tom Daley, a recipient of Twitter abuse, is very happy with how they have dealt with his abusers.

The problem is not Twitter or the people who run it, the problem is people too thick to understand the consequences of what they do. Twitter cannot fix that.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    FlyinBrick wrote: »
    By that logic you'd end up with only abusive people on Twitter, surely that wouldn't be a good thing?
    Why not? It would be abusive people abusing each other. Let them moan about that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    I am so bloody sick of people expecting website owners to fix all the problems with users abuse. All they can do is react to complaints when incidents happen which they do. Tom Daley, a recipient of Twitter abuse, is very happy with how they have dealt with his abusers.

The problem is not Twitter or the people who run it, the problem is people too thick to understand the consequences of what they do. Twitter cannot fix that.

I'm not on Twitter, but can see the appeal but friends who use it have sometimes had abuse, they report it and block the people responsible. I don't see what else can be done, short of Twitter moderating all tweets in advance.

It is right though that when people are subject severe abuse, such as rape threats and death threats, that they are properly reported and dealt with. People, especially teenagers and the young, still seem to think that they can use sites like Twitter, say what they want and there are no consequences. They don't realise that online threats like those are subject to the same laws as threats on the street.

The vast majority on Twitter, especially celebrities, use their real names, real pictures and post personal information about themselves. In that respect it is where abuse on such social media sites differs from abuse on anonymous sites and forums. On an anonymous forum or site that allows anonymous commenting people attack the username, they generally have no idea who the person behind the screenname is, but on social media sites where real identities and other such information is often posted, it is far more personal and therefore, taken more seriously now.
  • GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps if you wrote with a little more clarity, you'd avoid confusion.
    I wrote with perfect clarity...

Perhaps you're just a little over keen to play the smart-arse.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    They shouldn't have to tolerate it.
    They're perfectly entitled to whine about it or even, if they like, respond in kind.

What they shouldn't expect is never to have to see a critical comment made.

Agreed.

But there's a big difference between someone posting " I hate you, you're an arse and a ****!" and someone posting "I am going to track you down and stab you in the face you ****!"
  • MutterMutter Posts: 3,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who is Beth Tweedle please. Thank you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    there is no law against being offensive. neither should there be.

i only signed up to twitter to call Piers Morgan a ****.

Pathetic...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kippeh wrote: »
    The pregnancy and lesbian questions weren't aimed at her personally though, and are pretty funny.

None of it was remotely funny. If you give people anominity and a keyboard they behave like idiots
  • GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wondered how long before someone brought Collymore's (admitted but has gone through due process) past into it. A fallacy in order to trip up anyone whom disproves of the threats and abuse sent to Collymore. No-one condones domestic violence, but no-one should condone death threats and abhorrent abuse either.
    Condone no, have very little sympathy for when the boot is on the other foot yes...

Anyone who subjects their partner to physical abuse is the lowest of the low in my opinion.
  • AOTBAOTB Posts: 9,708
    Forum Member
    Mutter wrote: »
    Who is Beth Tweedle please. Thank you.

No idea! ;-)

Beth Tweddle however is an Olympic gymnast. Seeing as you asked so nicely, here you go-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beth_Tweddle

For future queries, may I be so bold as to recommend a little thing I use called google :p
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pickwick wrote: »
    The abuse women get is different in both quantity and type - they're much more likely to get sexual abuse, rape threats, etc.

Here's a white male SF author talking about how much less crap he gets than women online do, for instance.

Edit: Ah, this is actually more what I was looking for - an essay about the subject that links to studies showing that women get more abuse.

There have been dozens of high profile online abuse cases against men in recent years. I don't think being male or female makes much of a difference Tbh.
  • Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member
    Pathetic...

yeah but look at that saddo piers morgan's page he actually spends a large amount of time each day trolling people.
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They're really not. Calling a woman a **** for giving a perfectly innocent answer to an innocuous question and insulting her personal appearance is not on. I have a twisted sense of humour but none of this raised a smile, it was horrific. Look at the effect Rebecca Adlington's comments had on her & these are far worse.

Hope they all feel like big hilarious men now. Disgusting.

Totally agree.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There have been dozens of high profile online abuse cases against men in recent years. I don't think being male or female makes much of a difference Tbh.
    Well, I didn't think you would, that's why I tried to provide evidence :D
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    Never Nude wrote: »
    None of it was remotely funny. If you give people anominity and a keyboard they behave like idiots

In your opinion of course. Not a universal truth however.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and so, the OBSESSION on what is on twitter and facebook continues to BAFFLE me!!!

go on normal forums and FAR FAR WORSE is said ..... sometimes by me :D

only through the great god of petty journalism can it be said it is a CRIME to post "an insult" on such things .....
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh and beth tweddle is very nice

there

idiots be idiots
  • riceutenriceuten Posts: 5,876
    Forum Member
    Sticks and stones and all that....

The police should be out catching real criminals...not scouring social networking sights.
    If someone called you or your family rude and offensive names in the newspaper and thousands of people, let's see how 'tolerant' you'd be then.
  • Cpl_CarrottCpl_Carrott Posts: 479
    Forum Member
    brisky wrote: »
    That depends on whether that offensiveness drifts over to something illegal such as death threats.

I saw a re-tweeted picture "collage" of some of the racist abuse and death threats that Stan Collymore received the other day. It really disappoints me how these keyboard warriors act and I hope that some of them do get charged.

I've looked at all the "Disgusting" tweets aimed at Beth Tweddle, and while I agree they were indeed in very poor taste, puerile and immature, they were in no way whatsoever as offensive as the tweets aimed a Stan Collymore.

But, where was the media frenzy to follow it, Nowhere!

Where's the Frenzy that Follows Rooney or Terry being abused on twitter?

I Agree Beth Tweddle in no way deserved any of what she got, but a little perspective wouldn't go amiss!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No action taken against the insane 1D fans who send death threats to their girlfriends
  • Egg slicerEgg slicer Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    I found some of the things said funny, arrest me for my sense of humour!

People take themselves and these sort of things far to seriously.