Options

Arsenal Supporters Thread (Part 15)

Comments

• Options
    naveennaveen Posts: 652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    satellite wrote: »
    Wenger has said we're looking, but of course there is the convenient excuse of the World Cup. Anyone who thinks we're going to bring in real quality players is living in cloud cuckoo land.

Have fun dreaming though.

We could do something different and buy the new players early but that means no sky hanging around the Emirates on the 31st!
  • Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    Wenger has said we're looking, but of course there is the convenient excuse of the World Cup. Anyone who thinks we're going to bring in real quality players is living in cloud cuckoo land.

Bringing in quality players is something we've always done when given the opportunity and the money has been available. How would you rate Mesut Ozil on the quality scale? Or Luis Suarez, for whom we made a £40m+ bid last summer?

I think we'll add to the squad if we can get players who can add something.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    Letting Sagna go would be a terrible start.

I don't know.

He's improved this season on the previous two seasons' form - when I thought he was no better than average.

I don't think we should be breaking the bank to keep him.
  • Options
    GoodwinGoodwin Posts: 6,576
    Forum Member
    Looks like it will Sir Chesney in goal for the final. Only going on the basis that Fab started yesterday and he didn't want to risk an injury to Ches.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,718
    Forum Member
    Elyan wrote: »
    I don't know.

He's improved this season on the previous two seasons' form - when I thought he was no better than average.

Agreed, he is a good player and valuable member of the squad but in no way is he irreplaceable and if City or whoever want to offer him a big contract so be it.
  • Options
    henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have Dubai / Emirates rather than Abu Dhabi / Etihad , the "relatively poor" Emirate backing us.

Also Usmanov is apparently richer than Abramovich.

The Abu Dhabi sports channel on Freesat were ecstatic yesterday - and still are.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Goodwin wrote: »
    Looks like it will Sir Chesney in goal for the final. Only going on the basis that Fab started yesterday and he didn't want to risk an injury to Ches.

Quite a few first team players started yesterday. I was expecting a 3rd string team to start.
  • Options
    NightHawk123NightHawk123 Posts: 7,015
    Forum Member
    Quite a few first team players started yesterday. I was expecting a 3rd string team to start.

Reckon it was to keep them sharp for the final. We've also been playing only 1 game a week since getting knocked out of the CL.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    We're on a good run of form going into the final.

Kept our heads yesterday and waited for the goals to come. Let's do the same on Saturday and I'm sure we'll get the result.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We're on a good run of form going into the final.

Kept our heads yesterday and waited for the goals to come. Let's do the same on Saturday and I'm sure we'll get the result.

Yes pretty good change of picture from a month and a half ago.

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/matchday/form-guide.html
  • Options
    Forum Member

Or maybe it was a game to keep Fabianski sharp.

Who knows? Tune in next week for the final conclusion to the great Arsenal Dodgy Polish Keeper Dilemma.
  • Options
    jvilson29jvilson29 Posts: 176
    Forum Member

Who knows? Tune in next week for the final conclusion to the great Arsenal Dodgy Polish Keeper Dilemma.

Haha! I'd feel bad for Fabianski if he didnt start though
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Recall when Almunia was going to get UK citizenship to get into the England team ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rumors in the Mirror today that Gareth Barry will be joining in the summer.

Does anyone think this will be a good move?
  • Options
    NightHawk123NightHawk123 Posts: 7,015
    Forum Member
    Jack1 wrote: »

He's had a good season for Everton and has always been admired by Wenger. Cheap option again though.

Diaby also looked good when he came on against Norwich so will be happy with that.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I think he'd be a good addition.

It's this type of player that can win you trophies. He has bags of PL experience and is a winner.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In recent years which ready to roll players have we bought from CL / EL sides?

Arteta, Gallas.

OTOH we have sold a lot to our major competitors.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    On the Barry issue:

Everton must pay £2.5m transfer fee to Man City to sign free agent Gareth Barry

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/everton-transfers-manchester-citys-gareth-3524701

Could bode well for us then
  • Options
    satellitesatellite Posts: 8,181
    Forum Member
    Bringing in quality players is something we've always done when given the opportunity and the money has been available. How would you rate Mesut Ozil on the quality scale? Or Luis Suarez, for whom we made a £40m+ bid last summer?

I think we'll add to the squad if we can get players who can add something.

I didn't mention last summer, and yes I acknowledge Ozil was an unexpected and a welcome addition. The Suarez bid was farcical.
  • Options
    SpiderMan 83SpiderMan 83 Posts: 11,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Tbf he is not going to come out and say im signing so and so before the world cup, its never been his thing.

I think we will sign quality, the club knows they have to. (i think we have agreed a few deals tbh)

Right now the manager should be more focused on the cup, then new players right now.

Hope the scouts have done their work though.

Shame if true, player the keeper that got you there tbh. Though like someone saidm you have to play your best team in a final. I really believe had we played Fabs instead of Ches we'd have won the league cup vs Brum.
    We have Dubai / Emirates rather than Abu Dhabi / Etihad , the "relatively poor" Emirate backing us.

Also Usmanov is apparently richer than Abramovich.

The Abu Dhabi sports channel on Freesat were ecstatic yesterday - and still are.

Yup, question is do you want him as our owner? He does seem to be saying the right things, just not sure personally.

I think it could be a good move for squad depth if we brought in another DM. Barry is a Pl winner and fa cup winner. I know people will say, why go for the cheap option etc. I think as long as he comes with others then why not. What is there to lose?
    InTheLoop wrote: »
    So what are we thinking for the summer?
    Aurier to replace Sagna seems certain, a new goal for Fabianski (who will be leaving), a new DM to replace Arteta / Flamini, Draxler and at least 1 Centre Forward (as Bendtner will leave) in the Grade A+ class?
    I see all being fulfilled except the A+ striker, where we will put in a couple of speculative bids before resorting to Vela or Remy
    Line up next season could be?
    Shez-Aurier-Mertesacker-Koscielny-Gibbs-Bender/Javi Martinez (dream)-Ramsey-Ozil-Draxler-Giroud-Walcott

I think Aurier will come
    Draxler has said he won't be leaving, same with Reus. (Though with footie you just never know.
    Remy may not come because he may go spurs if you believe the Metro.
    Vela, we have a 3.3 mill clause to get him back, it not be a bad ideal if he came with another striker.
  • Options
    Skyclaw726Skyclaw726 Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem with our keeper for the final is if Chesney plays and cocks up people will be saying "why didn't we play Flappy??!!?" and if Flappy starts and cocks up it will be the other way around, so no matter what keeper wenger picks people will blame him for whatever keeper cocks up.
  • Options
    SpiderMan 83SpiderMan 83 Posts: 11,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Josip Drmic Signs for

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11891/9308816/transfer-news-bayer-leverkusen-secure-deal-for-josip-drmic

So much for Lothar Mattus saying it was 100% done he was coming to us lool.

Not a loss any way tbh.
  • Options
    HaydenHayden Posts: 32,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know.

Maybe those two broken legs had a bit to do with that.
    If he's good enough that City want him we should be busting our nuts to keep him.
    Top class right backs don't fall off trees.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No it would be a bloody awful unambitious move by a team that is already aiming for 4th place next season.
    So I'm sure it will happen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Good- Chesney is the No 1 keeper at the club and should play.
    It's an utter embarrassment that Flappy has been at the club so long- even if he has slightly improved recently.
This discussion has been closed.