BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• iain_stevenson1iain_stevenson1 Posts: 1,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just found out about these changes.I am shocked. Can't believe Richard Bacon is going in particular. What are the bosses playing at??????????
  • cantoscantos Posts: 7,368
    Forum Member
    Station ID wrote: »
    Lost London listeners?? Does 5 Live not have more listeners in London than lbc anyway. From memory I think it had a higher reach.

You are assuming that LBC is the only choice for Londoners disenchanted with Radio 5 live.
  • swansea steveswansea steve Posts: 1,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bwfcol wrote: »
    This thread has been banging on about change for months, they announce these changes including getting rid of the most disliked presenters and you lot still aren't happy!

Never will be I reckon

not true at all! I'm actually surprised how positive the regulars have been about the changes (albeit with some reservations)-- and this thread is busier than it has probably ever been which is great.
    As for me, I'm generally pleased with the changes. the new mid-morning show could be interesting, depending on the format and content of the show-- I've always liked Chiles's work on 5Live-- what a lot of people forget is that before presenting the admitedly dreadful ITV football coverage, he had a solid background in news based broadcasting. I also remember Dan Walker presenting Bacons show earlier this year (think it was early Feb) and doing a good job so I think the new afternoon show won't necessarily be sports focused.
    As for the film review programme, it is clearly very popular so deserves it's slot. Personally, I hardly ever watch films but still quite enjoy their show. Mark Chapman was the obvious choice to replace Walker on the Friday sport preview show in the evening, he does the Monday night club looking back at the weekend's football so makes sense to have him there looking forward to what is coming up-- albeit, I agree with the difference that more live sport coverage in that slot would be welcome.
    slightly disappointed at the weekend schedule, particularly Sat nights, 4 hours of Nolan is 4 hours too much in my view and makes Saturday's evening schedule look very different to the rest of the weeks. I'm also not convinced that 2 presenters will work on Fighting Talk, but I'm prepared to wait and see on that one.
  • Radio_fanRadio_fan Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    Overall, I think it is quite a good change. As others have said, the station badly needed a shake up. I only wish overnights had also been given a make over. I'm not sure about Adrian Chiles, but I have been quite pleasantly surprised by hearing him and think he is better on the radio than having to watch him on TV. At least he's only on 2 mornings and I will enjoy Peter Allen being on the rest of the mornings. I hope the Dan Walker spot isn't all about sport, but I am so happy that Bacon has gone. Sarah Brett is excellent. I was most impressed with her when she stood in for Stephen Nolan, but 4 hours of him on a Saturday night? :o It is really surprising that they didn't appoint more women, given the pledge by the BBC to appoint more. I do like Tony Livesey, but not sure that he has the gravitas for Drive.
  • cantoscantos Posts: 7,368
    Forum Member
    All the reports in the newspapers criticise the BBC for the lack of women in leading roles. and the 3 that have gone have been punished for not moving north.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    extraextra wrote: »
    Do we think Vic Derbyshire might go to Newsnight on BBC two, to replace Mr Paxman? As long as it isn't Mr Bacon :( I've not listened to 5Live since LBC went National.

I think Andrew Neil is being lined up to replace Paxman.We'll hardly notice the difference !
  • radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ian F 2012 wrote: »
    Absolutely agree - it is not the usual culprits who are complaining about the changes, it is some of the newer posters.

There is absolutely no doubt that the station was stale, and the people who are moving on were all stuck in a rut. The celebration of 5 Lives birthday, when they all moved about, showed that was the case. Change was badly needed, and although it will clearly not please everyone, I personally feel there is more good than bad in what has been announced.

The test will be when the new schedule has bedded in, and as will be the case, some of the changes are not working. I hope that Wall moves faster than he has done to date if any further changes have to be made.

This▲
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Satnavvy wrote: »
    Two more changes required - Nicky Campbell and Tony Livesy to get the boot please

Given that Tony's just been promoted to drivetime that's hardly likely to happen any time soon!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's been a suggestion that Victoria Derbyshire could replace Jeremy Vine on radio 2. Could the changes at five live ,meaning less female presenters on during the daytime, have been co-ordinated with changes on radio 2 , which is under pressure to hire more female presenters ?
    We allready know there will be changes to the radio 2 overnight schedule in october,which is when the changes to 5 live take effect. . Could they also in the weeks ahead announce changes to the daytime line up on radio 2 with Victoria replacing Jeremy Vine as the centrepiece i wonder.

PS you might be wondering why would Jeremy Vine want to leave radio 2. Maybe if he were Paxmans replacement on Newsnight...;-)
  • streaky-baconstreaky-bacon Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    Not really sure about the fuss regarding female presenters, ok two have left but look at the schedule. There are only two day time shows (7am - 7pm) that are not co-hosted, 5 live daily and The Friday Sports Panel. All other shows have a male host and female host. Eleanor Oldroyd on the Sports Panel and Allan / Chiles on 5 live Daily.
    Also it appears Anna Foster is the lead presenter of Drive.

Some have mentioned LBC presenters not needing co-hosts, you have to remember how much of each show is filled up with adverts etc.

Having digested the new schedule I broadly welcome it as long as they resist the temptation to become more sports dominated.

The 5 live Daily looks promising and is bound to be more varied that Victoria Derbyshire’s show. Peter was good when he presented mornings during the birthday celebrations. I personally like Adrian on the radio, I note The Guardian seems to be trying to spin it as bad news with polls and articles about an expanded role, he has only gone up from one show to two shows hardly a dramatic increase.

There probably will be some savings from it, presumably VD, Fogarty and Bacon’s salaries will have crept up over the years, also reduced editorial and production teams with fewer shows.

I welcome 5 live deciding to finally show a commitment to making Salford Media City work, not sure why when questions were raised about how little of the daytime line up came from Salford it wasn’t an issue for the controller but now it is. Should hopefully result in less clunky presenting and better team working.

Presumably Peter will start his week in London for PMQs on Wednesday then present Thursday and Friday from Salford. With PMQs finishing at around 12.30 followed by news, sport and travel is it really necessary for him to be in London because there will not be time for MPs to make it from the Commons to discuss PMQs before the show finishes at 1pm.

I would expect the Consumer Panel from Fogarty’s show and TV reviews from Bacon’s to be part of Afternoon Edition. I hope that it will not be Martin Lewis every week promoting his website on air and they vary the expert. Also Bacon’s mate Boyd Hilton must be the worst TV critic around, they should use two different reviewers every week.

5 live needed a dramatic shake up so well done for the station taking the bold decision to do it all in one go and take the hit on listening figures.
  • Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    cantos wrote: »
    You are assuming that LBC is the only choice for Londoners disenchanted with Radio 5 live.

Not at all. fasr from it infact.

What I'm arguing against is the belief held by some that LBC will be stealing listeners from 5 Liv e and that there's a mass movement of 5 live listeners over to LBC just because it's now availabile on DAB (which no one will be aware of unless they're a radio enthusiast).

I'm pointing out that where LBC is the established Talk Station and the two stations have been up against each other, 5 live actually has more listeners despite being on AM whereas LBC is on FM. That rather makes a sudden shift of national listeners to LBC unlikely.
  • Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    I've just found out about these changes.I am shocked. Can't believe Richard Bacon is going in particular. What are the bosses playing at??????????

Do we know that the bosses wanted Bacon out? He may have chosen to leave. Presenters like him will always be in demand for other radio and TV work.
  • brain_higgybrain_higgy Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    here are my thoughts on it

Vic derbyshire - finally fired or off air as too depressing with people illness or benefits or other low life stuff making life more sad than its already is

shelagh forgarty- feels doesnt want to be there also being single doesnt help thing maybe once she is off air maybe she will date again also she is also as depressing as derbyshire just an extension

bacon - finally off air as cant stand him always banging on about everything america and always getting away with murder by putting feet up on desk and walls and couldn't care less and regurgitating trails and stings and repeating thing like "ah the excellent such or "the 5live or "the something" too annoying he cant do radio at all

for the new schedule should be interesting refresh but why keep peter allan why fire everyone apart form the old codger he need to retire everyone has left except him no shame at all
  • streaky-baconstreaky-bacon Posts: 429
    Forum Member

Vic derbyshire - finally fired or off air as too depressing with people illness or benefits or other low life stuff making life more sad than its already is

shelagh forgarty- feels doesnt want to be there also being single doesnt help thing maybe once she is off air maybe she will date again also she is also as depressing as derbyshire just an extension

bacon - finally off air as cant stand him always banging on about everything america and always getting away with murder by putting feet up on desk and walls and couldn't care less and regurgitating trails and stings and repeating thing like "ah the excellent such or "the 5live or "the something" too annoying he cant do radio at all

for the new schedule should be interesting refresh but why keep peter allan why fire everyone apart form the old codger he need to retire everyone has left except him no shame at all

You really are an obnoxious troll
  • radiotunerradiotuner Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    I do wonder how much the sex of the presenter matters to Five Live. For me it is the service the station provides that attracts me, in that I want the news and sport. I have never really been aware of the presenter's gender being a factor. There are personalities I like and enjoy (Rachel Burden, Tony Livesey, Peter Allen) and those I can do without (Nicky Campbell, Nicky Campbell, Nicky Campbell) but their gender plays no part in that. All I want is the news, sport, discussion and comment 24/7 and I don't care about the gender or race. I just want the service in the most accessible and enjoyable way possible.

I can understand why Five Live will want their presenters in Salford though. It must be difficult for them to work with their production teams when they are so far apart. Also, those same production staff have had to uproot and travel north only to see the "stars" staying where they are. That would create a divide in any workforce.

But we must give credit to Shelagh who appears to have held her hands up and said I have tried it and it doesn't work for me. Maybe she has a personal life in London that she doesn't want parting from and we should respect that. At least she had a go, it just didn't work out.

Sadly The Ego has persevered. He need not have done on my part, but I do admire him for sticking at it. I seem to have read somewhere that he has got a flat up here, so again, at least he is having a go.
  • RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Leaving aside the English as a second language approach of your post, what a load of offensive tripe.
  • RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's been a suggestion that Victoria Derbyshire could replace Jeremy Vine on radio 2. Could the changes at five live ,meaning less female presenters on during the daytime, have been co-ordinated with changes on radio 2 , which is under pressure to hire more female presenters ?
    We allready know there will be changes to the radio 2 overnight schedule in october,which is when the changes to 5 live take effect. . Could they also in the weeks ahead announce changes to the daytime line up on radio 2 with Victoria replacing Jeremy Vine as the centrepiece i wonder.

PS you might be wondering why would Jeremy Vine want to leave radio 2. Maybe if he were Paxmans replacement on Newsnight...;-)

I have a vague recollection of Victoria doing the Vine show in the past? I know Bacon did it for a week too.
  • FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Overnight at weekends with Up All Night and Dotun Adebayo is screaming out for freshening up. The late Saturday/early Sunday one in particular is so stale it has blue mould an inch thick covering it. His shows are complacent and self serving, and he's sometimes stunningly ignorant in some discussions, from a presenter who knows he holds all the aces in the boxes he ticks and knows he has a cushy number.

Rhod Sharpe remains exemplary.
    Dotun is the last person who will ever get the push from 5 Live. The trouble is being an overnight slot the majority don't care as they are fast asleep. If they had a chimpanzee presenting UAN I doubt that would raise much of an eyebrow.

I notice though, after all this time that the management did not give Dotun a daytime slot He would have been ideal for the vacated Bacon slot. Can't imagine why. :D
  • radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Subject to Five keeping its % age of football commentary slots - this new dynamic and refreshing Five schedule will destroy daytime Talksport. Well done the management for doing what many have been wishing for at least two gears. Full Credit where its due though.
  • Harry_StevensHarry_Stevens Posts: 992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FriedGold wrote: »
    Replacing Bacon with the dullard who fills in for him and conducts terrible interviews? Dear God. Bacon's my favourite presenter, absolutely gutted.

Don't be gutted he is doing classic update remake TV with Unna Stubbs it's called "The Son Of Wurzel Gummidge" :)
  • ToastrackToastrack Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    At last, Bacon disappears from the schedule :)
    The one presenter who always made me retune to another station, he was R5's equivalent of having Fearne Cotton presenting Newsnight.
  • Ian F 2012Ian F 2012 Posts: 190
    Forum Member
    Phil Ander wrote: »
    There is a lot to be said for taking your time to introduce change, particularly if some presenters are on fixed term contracts and you are under pressure to make savings.

Fair comment - it is always easier to be on the outside agitating for change rather than being on the inside making them. However he does seem to have clung on to some stale and tired presenters for too long, whatever the reason.
  • Harry_StevensHarry_Stevens Posts: 992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmmm.......

I hope Boyd Hilton as gone forever.

Peter Allan, gets the time checks wrong so many times really needs company behind the mic.

Nolan, don't understand why the BBC rate the man,4 hours far to much.

My last observations are, BBC 5 Live never really stick to any schedules they are always using stand ins and I can't see that changing much and are we saying that the billion pound spent on the white elephant called Salford was done just for a BBC national radio station to say it represents the north ?....Cockney boy moves up north at great expense and therefore represents it.......Bloody BBC logic.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    FrankBT wrote: »
    Dotun is the last person who will ever get the push from 5 Live. The trouble is being an overnight slot the majority don't care as they are fast asleep. If they had a chimpanzee presenting UAN I doubt that would raise much of an eyebrow. :D

The big problem is that I want to be asleep at that time ... What I don't want is music on a through-the-night talk radio station to wake me up if I am in a slumber. I want to gently get back to sleep listening to gentle chatter about the day's stories as Rhod manages to do very easily. I'm sure a chimpanzee will be more relaxing than a lot of the music they play. Time to retire the virtual jukebox.
This discussion has been closed.