BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lordloz wrote: »
    If you read between the lines then maybe she was offered a new contract but one where they stated she would have to move to Salford to broadcast under new regime........so she walked which made it easy to move her on...total supposition? Sure... but it's a distinct possibility....

Spot on - I think that's exactly what happened.
  • Phil AnderPhil Ander Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Despite the forthcoming creative and welcomed schedule changes to Five - can Five recover out of the Slough of Despair it has sunk into?
    From this site and hearsay it would appear many people have turned their dial permanently away from Five to Lbc, Talk Sport etc. in an effort to escape the Derbyshire's Misery Hour, the Virtual Jukebox and half hearted presenters clearly turning up purely for the dollars.
    I do hope Five pulls it round. However I (and how many others) need to be weaned off the likes of Allen, Ferrari, H&J, Hartley Brewer, Bull and Harkes. There is a big danger Messers Derbyshire, Fogarty and Bacon will leave some legacy if we all are not careful...

It's funny though you don't mention the two who are on in direct competition with Derbyshire namely Murray and O'Brien. In the case of O'Brien would this be because he gave some of you critics' pin up boy Nigel Farrage a hard time?
  • radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil Ander wrote: »
    It's funny though you don't mention the two who are on in direct competition with Derbyshire namely Murray and O'Brien. In the case of O'Brien would this be because he gave some of you critics' pin up boy Nigel Farrage a hard time?

Actually find him ok. His coverage of Gove's efforts to raise the bar was very professional. O'brien does not appear to be constantly reading notes from a computer screen unlike the Princess MIsery. Speaking off the cuff seems natural and does involve bucket loads of: ers, ohs and rights. Yes, its going to be tough to regain listeners.
  • Harry_StevensHarry_Stevens Posts: 992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...hectored her boss over same thing....

May I put up a defense for Victoria Derbyshire on this Salford move issue, she grilled the boss of 5 Live over the Salford move and because she never moved as he didn't she has been criticized for the interview, what people never take into account was the fact he was telling everybody they had to move or leave the station except himself whereas Derbyshire was just a presenter and never told others they had to move or go.

Well thats my badly worded take on it, I could be wrong but that's how I see it.:)
  • Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    May I put up a defense for Victoria Derbyshire on this Salford move issue, she grilled the boss of 5 Live over the Salford move and because she never moved as he didn't she has been criticized for the interview, what people never take into account was the fact he was telling everybody they had to move or leave the station except himself whereas Derbyshire was just a presenter and never told others they had to move or go.

Well thats my badly worded take on it, I could be wrong but that's how I see it.:)

She was just doing her job and asking the questions that listeners wanted to know. Her personal circumstances should not factor in her work. If she hadb't asked those questions she'd have been accused of backing off because she'd done the same. The woman cannot win as far as Digital Spy is concerned. I think that a lot of the flack she gets on here is nothing to do with her on air ability which I think is wrong.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    Station ID wrote: »
    I think that a lot of the flack she gets on here is nothing to do with her on air ability which I think is wrong.

I think the "flak" is 50% down to her woeful "empathic" interviewing technique, and 50% down to her "I will drive the removal van there" quote. Her Majesty Vic and Bacon will not be missed.
  • boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iandun wrote: »
    I think the "flak" is 50% down to her woeful "empathic" interviewing technique, and 50% down to her "I will drive the removal van there" quote. Her Majesty Vic and Bacon will not be missed.

Why put empathic in quote? Nothing wrong with her presentation or interview techniques.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boksbox wrote: »
    Why put empathic in quote? Nothing wrong with her presentation or interview techniques.

You're having a laugh.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,414
    Forum Member
    The changes to Five Live were covered on this week's edition of the Media Show (see below) which featured an interview with Five Live controller Jonathan Wall. I was unimpressed by his defence of his actions and it seems like he's only making these drastic changes so that he can justify his own position and rather large salary.

Radio 5 Live has announced that three of their main presenters - Richard Bacon, Victoria Derbyshire and Shelagh Fogarty - are to leave the station in the autumn. Adrian Chiles and Tony Livesey are to get expanded roles. Although there will be no shortage of female co-presenters on the station, Eleanor Oldroyd's one-hour Friday afternoon show will be the only programme fronted solely by a woman. Steve hears from Jonathan Wall, Controller 5 Live about the changes.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b047zrkx
  • SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The changes to Five Live were covered on this week's edition of the Media Show (see below) which featured an interview with Five Live controller Jonathan Wall. I was unimpressed by his defence of his actions and it seems like he's only making these drastic changes so that he can justify his own position and rather large salary.

Wall was forced to change the morning show because Victoria Derbyshire decided not to sign a new contract with the station. She has accepted a new offer with BBC News.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SouthCity wrote: »
    Wall was forced to change the morning show because Victoria Derbyshire decided not to sign a new contract with the station. She has accepted a new offer with BBC News.

Probably a big saving too for Five.
  • Mallory99Mallory99 Posts: 1,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Actually early on after Salford was announced she said that she couldn't understand the fuss and that she was ok about the move being from Manchester.
  • iamsofirediamsofired Posts: 13,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Victorian wrote: »
    No, you're not. 100% of the adults in our house (admittedly only two) like his show. I find him amusing and engaging.

Yeah he's the only one on 5live I like, very witty and cynical and less emphasis on depressing human interest stories like the morning show.
  • petestanpetestan Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petestan wrote: »
    There aren't two presenters, Mon to Wed it's Peter Allen, Thurs and Fri it's Adrian Chilles.
    Black Crow wrote: »
    Adrian is doing Mon-Tues and Peter Weds-Fri

Ok I'll hold my hand up, I got it the wrong way round but there is still only one presenter on at that time not two as the original poster said. :D
    Forum Member
    SouthCity wrote: »

The fact is that if Rolf Harris was on 5 Live he'd be liked more on Digital Spy than Victoria.
  • curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Radio 5 Live has announced that three of their main presenters - Richard Bacon, Victoria Derbyshire and Shelagh Fogarty - are to leave the station in the autumn. Adrian Chiles and Tony Livesey are to get expanded roles. Although there will be no shortage of female co-presenters on the station, Eleanor Oldroyd's one-hour Friday afternoon show will be the only programme fronted solely by a woman. Steve hears from Jonathan Wall, Controller 5 Live about the changes.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b047zrkx

I heard Jonathon Wall on the Media Show as well, & was equally unimpressed !
  • streaky-baconstreaky-bacon Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    The Guardian:

5 Live's Shelagh Fogarty: I'm not affronted if a man fills my job

Female anchor defends BBC radio station against gender bias on air, as she and Victoria Derbyshire are replaced by men

"5 Live is understood to have considered a number of women for new roles on the station including Emma Barnett for the morning show. However, the Daily Telegraph women's editor, who won plaudits for her show on talk station LBC and guest presents on Radio 4's Woman's Hour and 5 Live, will present a weekly 5 Live Sunday evening show instead, to be confirmed soon. Clare Balding and former 5 Live presenter Fi Glover are also said to have been considered for the morning job."

How could wall consider Fi Glover and not give her the job? unless she wasn't interested in a return to 5 live or was it Salford that was the issue. I used to love her shows especially when she did the late night one.

"5 Live is now based in Salford, having moved from London three years ago, and although the station says presenters do not have to live in the north-west, it is keen that as many 5 Live shows as possible reside there (Derbyshire, who lives in London, broadcasts many of her shows from the capital).

The commute from London is another reason why Fogarty and Bacon are leaving (along with the desire to pursue other projects). The fallout of the switch to Salford, which saw little immediate change in presenters, is now beginning to be felt."

The Guardian seem desperate to try and make a big story about 'gender bias on air', as they call it. Fogarty is right when she says, ""I don't think it would be a good thing if every time a controller made a decision he or she said it must be a woman."
  • Reform FiveReform Five Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    curmy wrote: »
    I heard Jonathon Wall on the Media Show as well, & was equally unimpressed !

I have never been impressed by Wall. He has had a golden opportunity over the last 2 years to improve the station and until now has failed dismally.
    Having said that the changes made this week have come as a pleasant surprise losing the dreaded Derbyshire, woeful Bacon and the rather tired Foggarty (who never adjusted to the early afternoon slot) is a real and unexpected bonus. Delighted to see Chiles, Walker, Livesey in vogue but disappointed Nolan is still there and Williams is not on during the day. Not keen on Foster returning, unsure on Brett and getting Peter Allen on in the morning.
    Can't help feeling these changes have been forced on Wall - having said that given his track record it could have been much worse. Will certainly listen in the afternoons now rather than Talk Sport but i think Murray will keep me with them in the morning.
  • Harry_StevensHarry_Stevens Posts: 992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Adil Ray is a good presenter, personally I am listening to more LBC than 5 live since the tennis kicked in and I quite enjoy the LBC uncluttered approach to broadcasting.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Station ID wrote: »
    The fact is that if Rolf Harris was on 5 Live he'd be liked more on Digital Spy than Victoria.

You have belittled yourself. Why don't you go the whole hog and say Saville as well. dipstick.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adil Ray is a good presenter, personally I am listening to more LBC than 5 live since the tennis kicked in and I quite enjoy the LBC uncluttered approach to broadcasting.:)

Yep. Advil ideal oft the 10 o'clock shift. Lbc has certainly marched on and filled a void; however this is unrecognised/ignored by the lovees.
    Forum Member
    You have belittled yourself. Why don't you go the whole hog and say Saville as well. dipstick.

It is true though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    boksbox wrote: »

Please tell me you're joking?
  • The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will certainly listen in the afternoons now rather than Talk Sport but i think Murray will keep me with them in the morning.

Interesting. So you'll be sticking with Colin Murray rather than turning to Adrian Chiles and Peter Allen, but will be switching from Hawksbee & Jacobs to The Afternoon Edition with Dan Walker and Sarah Brett?

Personally it'll be the other way round for me, Chiles will get my attention instead of Murray (not sure about Allen) on the admittedly rare occasions I listen to mid-morning weekday radio, but I can't imagine being torn away from H&J. That's no reflection on Walker or Brett, it's simply because I think Paul and Andy do the best afternoon radio show around.

Given that, I think 5 Live would be unwise to lean heavily towards sport on The Afternoon Edition, as H&J have done well to corner this area of the market over a ten-year period and have built up a loyal following for their brand of light-hearted afternoon sports radio. I can't see a heavy amount of sport content on The Afternoon Edition being enough to tempt much of H&J's audience over to them and perhaps a move in this direction may be off-putting to the existing listenership carried over from Shelagh Fogarty and Richard Bacon's programmes. Of course given 5 Live's remit there should be sports content as and when appropriate, but I hope they don't think given Walker's presence they should try to out-do H&J.
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,056
    Forum Member
    This made me chuckle. Derbyshire has written a pompous article in the Guardian, and nearly every one of the 140 comments below slates her

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jul/06/5-live-class-awareness-matters-most-not-gender-victoria-derbyshire
This discussion has been closed.