Options

Wallander Series 3 [Swedish]

Comments

• Options
    jack_kerouacjack_kerouac Posts: 2,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why cant all detective drama be like this.

doesnt treat us as idiots/ kids and deeply moving.

Most detective series in UK wouldnt have revealed the captor for all we knew who it was.

This is my only TRUE Wallander actor. Understated and authentic IMO.

very very touching at the end without long winded "Branaghesque " overplaying.

Truly superb series this time. for me
  • Options
    ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    Scene with Linda and her husband was very :cry:

The attempted suicide was horrific, tragic and outstandingly acted. How on earth do you prepare to act something like that?

Scene at the end when he told everyone was :cry: but I couldn't help notice the huge rip in Svartmann's jumper :D

Loved the end scene with the new grandkid.

Always thought there was something dodgy about the chief.
    What happens now?

We remember him as he was....back to Series 1 for me :)
  • Options
    IluvsnoopsIluvsnoops Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    This series has been superb!!!! I cried last week and the scene where he attempted suicide was unbearable., Bravo to Krister Henriksson. I shall miss this so much.
  • Options
    HarkAtHerHarkAtHer Posts: 2,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    When my robot army propels me to power it bloody will be!

I'll sign up for that army ;-) Better that Wallander's footprints disappear in the snow than have Kenny B galumphing all over them in a new Brit series.

Brilliant, devastatingly sad last episode. But why was it called 'Sad Bird'? I noticed a bit of a bird theme with the little girls - the tawny owl figurine, and a bird pattern on Linda's daughter's top. I wonder if it was a bit of dialogue that didn't make the translation.
  • Options
    jack_kerouacjack_kerouac Posts: 2,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iluvsnoops wrote: »
    This series has been superb!!!! I cried last week and the scene where he attempted suicide was unbearable., Bravo to Krister Henriksson. I shall miss this so much.

The suicide scene was sooo well acted.

Obviously a lot of research of the final moments, the thought of family left behind, the frustration of the disease , they indignity of retiring, the helplessness..... very well handled in a mature and unfettered censorship way.

No overacting or lingering silent bits, just pure acting/ channeling the part .

Bravo indeed to Krister, his best performances have been in this last series with a good script and directorship.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    When Kurt turned on the cooker and then fed Jussi twice in quick succession I was worried that he come back that night and find Jussi dead
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm struggling to watch this, as really I don't like the direction it is taking and also having to suffer subtitles to get a half decent drama. Though I'm sure it's well done, I'm just not finding it enjoyable.

I much preferred the simplicity of the old series.
  • Options
    farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Farewell Kurt.
    Never really thought it would end with him & Alzheimer's when Wallander started a few years ago. Loved the ending, with his new grandchild.
    It resonated with me as my dear old gran, now in her 90's has Alzheimer's and now my father is showing signs.
  • Options
    parthenaparthena Posts: 2,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of this last series has fallen short of my hopes and expectations, but the final episode was stunning. Krister is Wallander for me.

What happened to Jussi? It often crossed my mind that he was taken for granted, and that he must be having a lonely life... and I know it's fiction ;)
  • Options
    scotchscotch Posts: 10,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I shall miss this programme!

Brilliant performances.

As Ebba said near the start 'I never thought it would end like this' :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    parthena wrote: »
    Some of this last series has fallen short of my hopes and expectations, but the final episode was stunning. Krister is Wallander for me.

What happened to Jussi? It often crossed my mind that he was taken for granted, and that he must be having a lonely life... and I know it's fiction ;)

Assuming Jussi is still alive then maybe he's gone to live with Linda and her family
  • Options
    via_487via_487 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I very rarely miss the nuances of plot lines, but I am going to have to watch this last episode again to catch them all.
    The problem was, I was so intrigued, watching Henriksson's every move and reaction/lack of reaction, that I missed some of the dialogue!

Absolutely fantastic acting from Krister Henriksson. Not over-done and so moving. I really felt like he was living the part.
    No way could I ever bring myself to watch Branagh in this role!

I actually found the scene with Jussi being fed twice quite funny and I felt it was meant to be that way - a bit of light relief within the despair.
    Also, Wallander's speech to his colleagues: there was a sad, dark humour in his stating that he hoped they would remember him, because he certainly wouldn't, as a policeman who put his heart into his job.
    Touches like those made the episode more bearable and more realistic.

I will miss Krister's Wallander so much! :(
  • Options
    J.RJ.R Posts: 2,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    via_487 wrote: »
    I very rarely miss the nuances of plot lines, but I am going to have to watch this last episode again to catch them all.
    The problem was, I was so intrigued, watching Henriksson's every move and reaction/lack of reaction, that I missed some of the dialogue!

Absolutely fantastic acting from Krister Henriksson. Not over-done and so moving. I really felt like he was living the part.
    No way could I ever bring myself to watch Branagh in this role!

I actually found the scene with Jussi being fed twice quite funny and I felt it was meant to be that way - a bit of light relief within the despair.
    Also, Wallander's speech to his colleagues: there was a sad, dark humour in his stating that he hoped they would remember him, because he certainly wouldn't, as a policeman who put his heart into his job.
    Touches like those made the episode more bearable and more realistic.

I will miss Krister's Wallander so much! :(

I actually saw the Branagh version first - and thought it was dire! Because of that I only 'found' Kristers version half way through the last series - and only then because my brother kept nagging me to try it. The difference is amazing.
    I think to have the 'star' of the story develop alzheimer's was incredibly brave (can you imagine us doing that with Frost for example?). It was SO well acted by Krister, he found just the right pitch for it.
    I too spent far too much time fretting about the dog! Although it was funny when he fed the dog. went away and the dog barked so he came back thinking it hadn't been fed and fed it again - that dog had learnt a neat trick!
    I hope it will be repeated from the start some time - although knowing the ending might make some parts of it take on a different interpretation second time round?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    J.R wrote: »
    I hope it will be repeated from the start some time - although knowing the ending might make some parts of it take on a different interpretation second time round?

I wasn't in the UK when the first two series were shown and had to catch them on Netflix.
    I've watched all of season 1 and am about to watch episode 5 of season 2. I'm enjoying them enormously.

Knowing what we now know, I did look out for 'signs', almost unconsciously I think.
    Krister's Wallander does have the odd 'forgetful' moment, especially in Series 2, where age and future retirement are under discussion.
    But there again, the original Wallander stories portrayed him as a forgetful, rather shambolic character, so Krister would have played him that way anyway.
    I think, sad as it is, we got what could almost be seen as a natural progression with Krister's Wallander. And very brave it was too, from both the actor and the writer.
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wasn't in the UK when the first two series were shown and had to catch them on Netflix.
    I've watched all of season 1 and am about to watch episode 5 of season 2. I'm enjoying them enormously.

Knowing what we now know, I did look out for 'signs', almost unconsciously I think.
    I doubt that Henning Mankell mapped out Wallander's whole life history when he started writing him.

Who knows when the Alzheimer's storyline was first decided upon?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    I doubt that Henning Mankell mapped out Wallander's whole life history when he started writing him.

It appears in the last Walllander book Den orolige mannen (The Troubled Man) the plot of which formed the first episode in this last series
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    It appears in the last Walllander book Den orolige mannen (The Troubled Man) the plot of which formed the first episode in this last series

Yes I know that. And the rest of the series was just based on the character. What I meant was who knows when Henning Mankell first decided what Wallander's eventual fate would be? Probably not when he first created him.

And who else noticed that the continuity announcer refrained from interrupting the credits this week? Maybe someone had a word.
  • Options
    IluvsnoopsIluvsnoops Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    J.R wrote: »
    I actually saw the Branagh version first - and thought it was dire! Because of that I only 'found' Kristers version half way through the last series - and only then because my brother kept nagging me to try it. The difference is amazing.
    I think to have the 'star' of the story develop alzheimer's was incredibly brave (can you imagine us doing that with Frost for example?). It was SO well acted by Krister, he found just the right pitch for it.
    I too spent far too much time fretting about the dog! Although it was funny when he fed the dog. went away and the dog barked so he came back thinking it hadn't been fed and fed it again - that dog had learnt a neat trick!
    Yes, I thought this was done for a little light relief too. I did worry about Jussi the previous week when Wallander came home with a lead and no sign of the dog.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JeffG1 wrote: »

Oh I agree.
    The novel, The Troubled Man (where Mankell assigns Wallander to the grey world of Alzheimer's) wasn't published in Sweden until 2009 and, although the alzheimer's idea could have been skulling around in Mankell's head for several years, it is doubtful whether Henrikson would have picked up on it for his characterisation. But who knows?
    Plus, I believe that Henrikson had at first decided not to do any more Wallanders after series 2, but came back because he knew this would be the end.
    I think it was brave of both men to take on this conclusion.

I was simply saying that I was almost unconsciously looking for clues (rather than saying 'there must be clues here'), because I've watched the series (3 before 1 and 2) in quick succession. :)
  • Options
    ffa1ffa1 Posts: 2,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When Kurt turned on the cooker and then fed Jussi twice in quick succession I was worried that he come back that night and find Jussi dead

I was hoping to see a morbidly obese Jussi in the scene at the end with Kurt and his new grandkid!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh I agree.
    The novel, The Troubled Man (where Mankell assigns Wallander to the grey world of Alzheimer's) wasn't published in Sweden until 2009 and, although the alzheimer's idea could have been skulling around in Mankell's head for several years, it is doubtful whether Henrikson would have picked up on it for his characterisation. But who knows?
    Plus, I believe that Henrikson had at first decided not to do any more Wallanders after series 2, but came back because he knew this would be the end.
    I think it was brave of both men to take on this conclusion.

I was simply saying that I was almost unconsciously looking for clues (rather than saying 'there must be clues here'), because I've watched the series (3 before 1 and 2) in quick succession. :)

Kurt's dad Povel who had Alzheimer's appeared in the first book The Faceless Killers didn't he??

So maybe the idea of Kurt developing it was at the back of Mankell's head all that time
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kurt's dad Povel who had Alzheimer's appeared in the first book The Faceless Killers didn't he??

So maybe the idea of Kurt developing it was at the back of Mankell's head all that time

True enough. There is one person who knows for sure...
  • Options
    Hackney1Hackney1 Posts: 892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    just caught up with last episode. brilliant, agree with all the above positive postings.
    one thing though - what happened to his school teacher girlfriends from the previous episode(s)?
    and I've been wondering for this whole series - didn't he and Martinsen use to have a much closer working relationship at the beginning?
    anyway, superb acting all round, took to the replacement Linda straight away - and Jussi didn't get shot which is a big bonus!
  • Options
    catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got a bit behind with this series too but have caught up now. So, since this thread is back on page 1 of the forum listing at he moment, I would just like to highlight an "Oh, Svartman!" moment which happened early on in episode 4 but wasn't shown to be significant until the end of the episode. When he was manning the phones, he took a call from a woman who had seen a red-haired girl in her apartment block the previous year, and he just told her it wasn't the sort of thing they were after, but at the end it turned out to be a vital clue that could have been very helpful when they were trying to find some evidence against the doctor, since when they finally went to his apartment, a neighbour said she'd been waiting for ages for the police ever since she had phoned them.
  • Options
    Dirty RoosterDirty Rooster Posts: 1,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I maight be in the minority, but I was sure it was a brain tumour : until they stated outright it was Altzheimers.
    The symptoms just don't fit. I've seen it : doesn't fit in many of the scenes.
    Oddly done, not badly done.
    The actor was really great in portraying some kind of brain dysfunction, but he's better at that than portraying a clever detective ... :O
    I never ever believed the foxy mature teacher lady would've gone for him though ... she'd have had to be absolutely desperate.