Options

BBC2 The Honourable Woman Thursdays from July 3rd

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am getting slightly lost as to the timing, are we in present day or still a year in the past? I hope Nessa is dead (although obviously not) as I don't really care about her character but I've watched it now so I have to see what happens in the end?

I thought Spy man knew that Kassim was Nessa's son, I thought he figured that out a few episodes ago?
  • Options
    CasmanaCasmana Posts: 1,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bornfree wrote: »
    Maggie Gyllenhall's English accent is not great. Why wasn't an English actress chosen?
    Maybe because MG says she grew up mostly Jewish? Does that make her a more obvious choice ? I don't know .
  • Options
    KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maggie Gyllenhall's English accent is not great. Why wasn't an English actress chosen?
    Presumably, because of co-funding from the US?

K
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alixfowler wrote: »
    I thought Spy man knew that Kassim was Nessa's son, I thought he figured that out a few episodes ago?
    "We" knew of course, and Hugh obviously had his suspicions from the photos he saw in the file, but no definitive proof.

K
  • Options
    catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't think her accent is any worse than Andrew Buchan's .
  • Options
    HarkAtHerHarkAtHer Posts: 2,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This aimed high and is falling short.
    If it had been slightly more economical, it may have benefited the material but as it is this seems to be Homeland for those who enjoy watching paint dry in a well lit, ornately decorated room full of "artistes".

Interesting comment, as for me it highlights the difference between US and Brit drama. Homeland, for all its faults (and let's not get into that) had recognisable human characteristics and emotional intelligence at its heart. THW is all mannered brittleness and preening dialogue. Maggie G picked up on that and reflects it in a very stylised performance. She knows what we like! But I'd forgive an American audience thinking it's just Brits being pretentious luvvies. Again.

I'm trying not to be too impatient with THW's "intellectual" overlay because there's an interesting story in there. And I'm fascinated by the costumes - really; never has Britain's security establishment been more artfully draped. Nessa's favourite putty-coloured silk slip is a source of constant fascination (why, Nessa, why?!)

So, lots that rubs me up the wrong way, but enough good old-fashioned drama to keep me watching. And Rachel's birth scene was brilliant black comedy. Positively Jacobean, darling.
  • Options
    FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alixfowler wrote: »
    I am getting slightly lost as to the timing, are we in present day or still a year in the past? I hope Nessa is dead (although obviously not) as I don't really care about her character but I've watched it now so I have to see what happens in the end?

The explosion is obviously present time. When they go back in time the year is always shown on the screen, so there's no confusion.

Sir Hugh ("Spy man") had no idea that Kassim was Nessa's son. All he knew a few eps back was that there was a cover-up as to who the father of Kassim was, when he interviewed Ephra.
  • Options
    StykerStyker Posts: 49,885
    Forum Member
    What was this twist then that happened in episode 7? Why did the house keeper arrange for the killings? Is the rapist her brother or a comrade of sort? Who was the guy in Holland? In general it was a Palestinian attack pinning the attack on a right wing Israeli group or was it a bit of both?
  • Options
    Killary45Killary45 Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Styker wrote: »
    What was this twist then that happened in episode 7? Why did the house keeper arrange for the killings? Is the rapist her brother or a comrade of sort? Who was the guy in Holland? In general it was a Palestinian attack pinning the attack on a right wing Israeli group or was it a bit of both?

The best place to get answers to those questions is the excellent Guardian blog on The Honourable Woman. http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2014/aug/14/the-honourable-woman-recap-episode-seven-hollow-wall

There is an excellent analysis of each episode and 977 comments so far on episode 7 alone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Killary45 wrote: »
    The best place to get answers to those questions is the excellent Guardian blog on The Honourable Woman. http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2014/aug/14/the-honourable-woman-recap-episode-seven-hollow-wall

There is an excellent analysis of each episode and 977 comments so far on episode 7 alone.
    If only their blog layout was sensible like DS, but the nested replies make it really difficult to keep up with!

K
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Killary45 wrote: »

Thanks but the link didn't give the answers.

I watched most episodes in the last week or so. I think Nessa's stance is too much holier than thou and pretty unrealistic in not getting compromised in any way and refusing to deal with corrupt people.

I think she should have admitted about what happened in gaza too and not have allowed herself to be held over a barrel so much.

What a plonker Steve Rea's character was, ditching his wife just like that, all because his new bitch boss abused her powers and demanded sex off him. He should have told her where to go and it serves him right that his wife left him.
  • Options
    Hackney1Hackney1 Posts: 892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    please can someone explain the one bit I didn't understand - just watched episode 7 - when Nessa went to some guy's house and his wife was putting baby in the car and Nessa apparantly spoke to her and the guy came out and asked why she had to tell her? - didn't recognise the guy or understand the connection?

I'm enjoying this - lots of twists and turns but you never quite know what it's going to throw up. some wooden acting but i'm looking forward to conclusion.
  • Options
    1066andallthat1066andallthat Posts: 1,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hackney1 wrote: »
    please can someone explain the one bit I didn't understand - just watched episode 7 - when Nessa went to some guy's house and his wife was putting baby in the car and Nessa apparantly spoke to her and the guy came out and asked why she had to tell her? - didn't recognise the guy or understand the connection?

I'm enjoying this - lots of twists and turns but you never quite know what it's going to throw up. some wooden acting but i'm looking forward to conclusion.

He was the accountant that raped her.

This was the favour that she asked of Hugh. That's how she got to know the name and address of the rapist. He was never arrested at her request so that was the only way she could have found out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hackney1 wrote: »
    the guy was the one that raped Nessa in the previous episode (the one with the vodka bottle).

K
  • Options
    FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Styker wrote: »
    Thanks but the link didn't give the answers.

I watched most episodes in the last week or so. I think Nessa's stance is too much holier than thou and pretty unrealistic in not getting compromised in any way and refusing to deal with corrupt people.

I think she should have admitted about what happened in gaza too and not have allowed herself to be held over a barrel so much..
    Nessa did want to reveal her secret (several minutes into ep 3) when discussing it with Atika. But Atika talked her out of it by using fear tactics, ie that the kidnappers would kill Kassim iif she did talk.
  • Options
    1066andallthat1066andallthat Posts: 1,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it is.
  • Options
    Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Underwhelming finale, and I missed CBB for this :D

Nah, I quite enjoyed it tbh, but thought it was a bit too clumsy. No idea what the ending was meant to represent as my recording conked out, hey ho.
  • Options
    iMrAn_666iMrAn_666 Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    Great final ep, great show also.
  • Options
    Chas1989Chas1989 Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    Enjoyed the finale to a very good series.
  • Options
    Hackney1Hackney1 Posts: 892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KennyT wrote: »
    the guy was the one that raped Nessa in the previous episode (the one with the vodka bottle).

K

Ah yes of course! thanks Kenny T! - gonna watch final episode now....
  • Options
    CasmanaCasmana Posts: 1,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joni M wrote: »
    Underwhelming finale, and I missed CBB for this :D

No idea what the ending was meant to represent as my recording conked out, hey ho.
    So did mine .
    Someone tell us what the very last scene shown was please?
  • Options
    chipsauntchipsaunt Posts: 951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last scene was Nessa and Kasim , and Rachel's children, coming into Rachel's room to see the baby. Finally we saw Nessa standing in a small room, like a prison cell. I am not sure what to make of that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fiagomez wrote: »
    so she remains kidnapped again then :confused:

or she is just mentally trapped by her situation and will never truly escape because of her position and her family name and business :confused:

i was a little disappointed with how it ended and it wasnt as explosive as i was expecting either but it was still good.

Probably, thanks for that I missed it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chipsaunt wrote: »
    Last scene was Nessa and Kasim , and Rachel's children, coming into Rachel's room to see the baby. Finally we saw Nessa standing in a small room, like a prison cell. I am not sure what to make of that.

Cheers, seems as though she'll never fully recover from her kidnapping.

I expected, Saul, Carrie and Brody towards the end.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    FrankBT wrote: »
    Nessa did want to reveal her secret (several minutes into ep 3) when discussing it with Atika. But Atika talked her out of it by using fear tactics, ie that the kidnappers would kill Kassim iif she did talk.

I remember Nessa saying things like if she told everyone what happened that she would be compromised because people would be watching her to see if she was acting in a biased way, in either way because of her son. She went way too O T T on being compromised, keeping her secret. She should have told the blackmailers to get lost and do their worst. She wasn't an elected official in anyway so god knows why she acted like she was.