Options

Angela Griffin - why?

ikkleosuikkleosu Posts: 11,494
Forum Member
✭✭
I've nothing against the girl, she seems pretty innocuous but why is she suddenly so succesful and seemingly never off the telly?

Her post Corrie career seemd to ahve settled into the same as most others, with the odd drama etc. And then suddenly came Sky 1's Angela and Friends, seemingly from no-where? I'd have thought there would be far more likely candidates than Angela for their own chat-show.

And now she's all over the ad breaks - narrating or appearing.

I'm just rather dumbfounded where her sudden popularity with TV makers has come from.

Comments

• Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hardly new - she's been popular with drama makers for years now. Holby City, Cutting It, Waterloo Road.
  • Options
    gemmaovwales03gemmaovwales03 Posts: 7,183
    Forum Member
    Oh those adverts she's in are awful! I cringe for her when they come on.
  • Options
    CANDYANGELCANDYANGEL Posts: 21,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cannot stand that Elevenses advert she's in, nothing to do with her personally, just can't stand it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the bar she promotes about to get your fix of chocolate or something, but it hardly has any chocolate on it ?
  • Options
    ikkleosuikkleosu Posts: 11,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hardly new - she's been popular with drama makers for years now. Holby City, Cutting It, Waterloo Road.

I meant more as a "personality" than an actress. That's what i meant by syaing her career (acting) post Corrie was going along fine. She never seemed to be one favorued by the likes of Heat etc as a"celebrity" so i just wondered why she was suddenly seen as a personality, presenting and being the face of products. Just seemed to come out of nowhere.
  • Options
    parthyparthy Posts: 5,408
    Forum Member
    I get where you are coming from, OP, and I have no response really! I don't where the sudden interest in her as a personality came from.
  • Options
    hardylanehardylane Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never understood why she's even on TV at all.

As an actress, she's mediocre... as a "presenter" (WHAT a cheap profession!) she comes across like a shop girl. As for the adverts... good god almighty!

She's entirely useless and her continued employment in the face of so many TALENTED actors who we hardly see is beyond belief.
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ikkleosu wrote: »
    I meant more as a "personality" than an actress. That's what i meant by syaing her career (acting) post Corrie was going along fine. She never seemed to be one favorued by the likes of Heat etc as a"celebrity" so i just wondered why she was suddenly seen as a personality, presenting and being the face of products. Just seemed to come out of nowhere.

Ah, I see.
  • Options
    Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    I find it very strange. Not sure what prompted Sky to give her, of all people, a show. Nothing against her it was just a very random choice...
  • Options
    Arthur CucumberArthur Cucumber Posts: 491
    Forum Member
    I can only assume it's because of a pushy new agent, or else market research and focus groups have identified her as somebody down to earth who average josephine on the street thinks is "just like me". She seems nice enough, but her rise to prominence is otherwise incomprehensible and those adverts are bloody awful.
  • Options
    parthyparthy Posts: 5,408
    Forum Member
    I can only assume it's because of a pushy new agent

That thought did cross my mind!
  • Options
    Rosie RedRosie Red Posts: 8,446
    Forum Member
    Oh those adverts she's in are awful! I cringe for her when they come on.

Me too.
  • Options
    angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went off her when she did that cooking programme with Nigel Slater (?) where they cook a meal together and he chats to her about life in general. She went on about being an ordinary girl who could now afford to pay £200 for a meal. My initial thought was 'more fool you'. I don't mind that people can pay that, but to be so in your face about it was like showing off to me. Can't stand the advert she's in.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe the offers were always there and now her kids are nursery age she might feel she can do more?
  • Options
    IdiotgirleIdiotgirle Posts: 2,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her red carpet interviews during the last awards season were awful... but to be fair to her, she looked like David Dimbleby next to Duncan Blue. He's a plank.
  • Options
    NativeMoonNativeMoon Posts: 6,149
    Forum Member
    I actually like her - certainly a lot more than that hot mess that is Loose Women...or those wastes of spaces that are Wrightey and Madeley!
  • Options
    sofakatsofakat Posts: 16,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd put it down to a new agent, as another poster has suggested. Probably thought she needed to 'diversify' a bit since she's not the greatest actress in the world.

I think she's cute and has a nice personality, but a little goes a long way and she doesn't really have what it takes to be a presenter, bless her.

Being a good presenter takes a fair amount of intelligence, quick wit and a genuine interest in other people. That's hard for an actress since they have mostly been trained to be very self-obsessed and focused on their own careers and not other peoples. They have to be single minded and tough skinned.

And that awful, awful ad is a very big mistake. It's SO bad it's cringe worthy. I can't watch it.
  • Options
    phil solophil solo Posts: 9,669
    Forum Member
    Muffin999 wrote: »
    the bar she promotes about to get your fix of chocolate or something, but it hardly has any chocolate on it ?

Ah, but that's the point. The product pitch is "guilt-free chocolate for diet-obsessed women", as one look at the execrable advert makes painfully clear :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    The title sums it up perfectly

Angela Griffin - WHY?

(although from her perspective I totally get the 'it wont last forever so hammer it while it does' approach)
  • Options
    open_endedopen_ended Posts: 2,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's not a brilliant actress nor a presenter.

Her chatshow isn't very good either and hasn't proven a success with mediocre ratings.
  • Options
    tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to agree.

She isn't attractive, her acting skills are average, she's rubbish at presenting and has the personallity of a door-nail. I don't think "Why?" is a good question, I think "What is the point of...." is more a valid question. How she continues to get work is beyond me, perhaps she's just cheaper to hire or knows someone in high places who gets her work.
  • Options
    bridgetbbridgetb Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muffin999 wrote: »

Yeah aimed at frumpy middle aged women that talk nonsense all day. Advert is awful - constant shouting.

Just buy a real chocolate bar and do some exercise.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was checking her out on Google this morning and came across a clip of her presenting her show on Sky 1 with a feature about why women are addicted to chocolate, and surprise-surprise, there was product placement for none other than Elevenses:

I hope we haven't got another Myleene Klaas in the making :rolleyes:
  • Options
    gemmaovwales03gemmaovwales03 Posts: 7,183
    Forum Member
    Didn't sky send her to the Oscars this year to do their red carpet coverage? Also she some big show for them a few weeks ago I think it was called she's amazing. They are really pushing her to be the next big thing.
  • Options
    stateofgameplaystateofgameplay Posts: 3,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm guessing Sky got her as part of a deal for someone else??