English cricket seasson 2011

FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
Forum Member
✭✭
Yes folks, it starts today:eek:

In Abu Dhabi.

What would WG have made of it all :confused:

I reckon England will go well in the Tests.

Their bowling is better and deeper than Sri Lanka and the latter rely a lot on three batsman at the moment.

India will be tougher but again I see England having a distinct bowling edge.

Of the crack Indian batting one (Sehwag) is a flat track bully - if the ball moves about much he is lost, and two others are surely on their last tours, and maybe age will catch them out.

Hoping Surrey continue to show the form they eventually developed last season. The bowling looks strong and they have finally signed a decent overseas player after some right camels in recent times. It would be nice to see one or two of the young batsmen kick on.

F/C matches start in England next Saturday. Wouldn't fancy doing long leg and mid off for a couple of hours at Durham with the wind whipping off the north sea........:eek:

Hoping those heading back from that stupidly arranged tour don't think of cricket until early May.

Comments

• tennismantennisman Posts: 4,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's all madness, Frood.

There will always be change; it's inevitable and often desirable.

But I long for the structure of the season back in the mid 1960's;

- MCC v Champions County at Lord's

- Tourists play at Arundel, then start 1st class at Worcester

- Tourists play every County with strong sides in competitive matches and people care - remember Glamorgan beating the Aussies in 64 and 68?

- Wednesday/Saturday starts for County matches - you knew what to expect and what was happening.

- Gillette Cup matches on Wednesdays - crowds flocking to the grounds.

- Sunday League games on......Sundays, surprise, surprise, as opposed to now when they are scheduled on any/every day of the week and some are day-time and some are day/night.

- A 5 Test series starting at Trent Bridge, on to Lord's and finishing at the Oval.

- Season finale with the Gillette Cup Final in the first week of September.

Watching a wonderful day's cricket at Liverpool in the CC last August was like a slap in the face for me, reminding me that this is what cricket is about, not some 20 over knockabout - leave that for the kids and the evening parks teams, where it's appropriate.

But I'd better get eady for endless huddles, high-5ing, pedestrian over rates, glove touching, completely OTT celebrations and general expressions of man-love, batsman pointing their bats at their team-mates and not acknowledging the crowds and not forgetting the anodyne media interviews where players are forced to spew out platitudes about good bowling, batting or fielding 'units', bowling in the 'right areas' (including back of a length which mysteriously replaced short of a length at some point), and accepting the positives of defeats 'going forward'.

I even heard a rumour that now the ECB has bought the season start forward in April, Burberry's have designed a special First Class Cricketers' Raincoat for the players to wear in the first few games.

This FCCR (as it will be known) will have the double benefit of keeping them warm and keeping the wind and rain out, especially at Chester-Le-Street!!!

I can't wait :D
  • davethecuedavethecue Posts: 23,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with your sentiments, Tennisman ,as I too remember that schedule.
    However with TV paying most of the bills, it's likely to get worse. How long before we have a 20/20 match start at midnight at the Oval so that it can be shown live elsewhere in the world to gain maximum coverage. A bit ott but it seems it's going that way
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm excited to see the first test match at the Rose Bowl and as always I will start the season believing Hampshire will win the CC only for them to end up winning the 2020 or the 50 over tournament, is it even 50 overs anymore?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No Vicky, its 40.

With the rest of the world at least trying to get some consistency of domestic structure with 4 day 1st class matches and a 50 Over and T20 competition, the ECB decided to cut our 50 over competition last year.

Is it any surprise that along with numerous other factors, we end up being put to the sword by Dilshan and Thuranga yesterday?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davethecue wrote: »
    I agree with your sentiments, Tennisman ,as I too remember that schedule.
    However with TV paying most of the bills, it's likely to get worse. How long before we have a 20/20 match start at midnight at the Oval so that it can be shown live elsewhere in the world to gain maximum coverage. A bit ott but it seems it's going that way

I'm not actually against change at all.

But it's as if the ECB have sat down with a blank sheet of paper and attempted to work out a schedule which will....

a) confuse the fans and make it almost impossible to follow without daily checking of the BBC Cricket website

b) minimise the coaches/players ability to prepare and perform at their best for the different formats (Duncan Fletcher writes on this subject in one of his books).

In a commercial age (as you say), I think the scheduling is rank bad marketing, not good.

They adopt an atitude which generates revenues and sells tickets/shirts etc but this doesn't mean that fan and player satisfaction/effectiveness are maximised at all.

I think that pricing for Test and ODI's is totally OTT especally at Lord's. Out of principle, I will not pay £90 for a day's cricket.

Ultimately, its about demand and supply, like in top football, and there are enough people who will pay these prices.

At least Lancashire have dome some ticket deals if you bulk buy for their T20 games - a good move.

I reckon an improvement would be...

1. Get all LVCC matches starting on the same day of the week in rounds (like the NFL). Easier to communicate/sell and report on; easier to plan if you are going to go or not.

2. At the international level, implement a model where all tours revolve around a consistent format of 4 Tests, 5 ODI's and 2 T20 Ints.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to like it when the 4-day game started on the Wednesday and then the 50 over game was on the Sunday or Monday if it was a bank holiday
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sri Lanka test dates:

May 26-30 1st Test, Cardiff
    June 3-7 2nd Test, Lord's
    June 16-20 3rd Test, Rose Bowl

and handily for me (living 400 metres from ground):
    June 10-12 v Essex, Chelmsford :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Listening to Andy Flower being interviewd by Agnew.

These guys are so well trained he answered every question at length without saying a single thing.

What irritates me is that on the question of scheduling, his answer was that 'we have no control over that'.

Well, Andy, I suggest that if you want to get the best out of your players and delivering success at the top level, you start getting some control over it.

Are we really to believe that Flower and the players just sit back and accept whatever is given them?

This is the root the problem; namely that cricket matters MUST drive everything else, whatever we've said above about money, politics etc. At the moment, and listening to Michael Vaughan, for some time, the reverse has been the case.

ECB adminisrators driving everything without any influence from the England Coach/Captain ; its the lunatics running the asylum.

Then again, the ECB is full of ex-cricketers Gatting, Morris etc.

We place all significance on the Ashes and even when we win against a moderate Aussie side on their way down, we reckon that the job is done. It isn't.

Looking at my cricket memorabilia the other day, I found the programme for the 1st Test in England against Sri lanka. Now look at them. In a short period of time, they have developed to make us look like schoolboys.

It's as if we looked forward and predicted Bangladesh beating is in 20 years at a WC like SL did yesterday.

Most people would laugh. Well, we aren't laughing after yesterday's drubbing, are we?
  • AZ fanAZ fan Posts: 1,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Samit Patel has just picked up his second wicket and MCC are 151-7.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/9434031.stm

Live commentary here. Shame Dravid was out second ball.
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really believe it'll be Somersets year, at last. Won't be encumbered by having any Engand players:rolleyes:, good couple of bowlers brought in, some decent youngsters coming through. Finally Taunton will be the home of the County Championship.

Oh, read on Twitter that Onions was back bowling, could be good news for England.
  • DRY_SWEEPERDRY_SWEEPER Posts: 3,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tennisman wrote: »
    No Vicky, its 40.

With the rest of the world at least trying to get some consistency of domestic structure with 4 day 1st class matches and a 50 Over and T20 competition, the ECB decided to cut our 50 over competition last year.

Is it any surprise that along with numerous other factors, we end up being put to the sword by Dilshan and Thuranga yesterday?

That's not to the only reason we have been totally thrashed in the world cup, the England players have had a very gruelling winter, an Ashes series is no easy series
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vicky2424 wrote: »
    I used to like it when the 4-day game started on the Wednesday and then the 50 over game was on the Sunday or Monday if it was a bank holiday

Used to be better before the Sunday league split, the championship games used to start on a Thursday the they used to play the same opposition in the Sunday league funnily enough on the Sunday the finish the championship game on the Monday
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really believe it'll be Somersets year, at last. Won't be encumbered by having any Engand players:rolleyes:, good couple of bowlers brought in, some decent youngsters coming through. Finally Taunton will be the home of the County Championship.

Oh, read on Twitter that Onions was back bowling, could be good news for England.

Problem with Somerset is that Taunton is notoriously a batting track hence so many draws
  • davethecuedavethecue Posts: 23,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve Kirby has taken 5 wickets as Notts finished 8 down at the close in Abu Dhabi. Samit Patel made 21
    http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-cricket-2011/engine/match/490121.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's not to the only reason we have been totally thrashed in the world cup, the England players have had a very gruelling winter, an Ashes series is no easy series

I did say 'along with numerous other factors' in my post above.

We're agreed that it is not the only reason.

A long gruelling winter is indeed one of the factors, especially 7 x ODI's - madness, as I've probably said somewhere above:cry:.

Having said this, despite my please for a standardised model for series across formats between countries, the sub continent teams have been playing more ODI's than us for at least the last decade, if not nearly 2 decades.

And maybe this has helped to develop a better culture, approach and/or strategy to playing this format?

On the one hand, despite Strauss' debacle against Dilshan, he has scored good runs; Trott became the tournament's highest scorer. However, on the other, the rest of them have really struggled and scratched around. Sometimes, its as if they are literally caught between a 4 day game and a T20.

Then again, I have seen live both Wright and Bopara score stunning centuries in 40 over games under lights here at home (coincidentally, both scored 125 off 58 balls), so is it at a higher level that they need time, a steady place for more opportunities or can they just not cut it at international level?

Pietersen is an enigma. But on the basis of his performances, he is no Dilshan or Sehwag in ODI's.

Other than some good spells by Swann and Broad in the SA match, the bowlers have either not known what line/length to bowl or they have known but have executed poorly.

The likes of Tremlett and Bresnan have looked like cannon-fodder for much of the time.

The best bowlers in other teams have a defined modus operandi on how they are going to bowl, almost their personal brand of attack, so that even though the batsmen know what is coming, they still can't deal with it.

I reckon that this type of single minded approach applies to bowlers like Malinga and Gul.

Finally, is there one more contributory factor? Namely that not enough cricket fans really care about ODI failure? We're so happy about winning the Ashes, that we are actually satisfied; with a 'that'll do' or even a 'job done' attitude.

ODI cricket is maybe at it's core, an afterthought for us? As fans, to the extent that we have any power/say in it, we are unlikely to demand change, as we're bovvered, but not that bovvered?

I would not like to be in Flower's shoes as he has to try and identify the list of causes but more importanly the priority of those causes. He then has the battle with the ECB (and 18 County Chairmen and Chief Executives) to get what he wants as far as change, whatever that change (or changes) may be.
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, Andy, I suggest that if you want to get the best out of your players and delivering success at the top level, you start getting some control over it.

Are we really to believe that Flower and the players just sit back and accept whatever is given them?

Twas ever thus.

Those in power are not good in passing it down - it's easier to blame the team and caoch, have a review and remain in power.
    It's all madness, Frood.

There will always be change; it's inevitable and often desirable.

But I long for the structure of the season back in the mid 1960's;

- MCC v Champions County at Lord's

- Tourists play at Arundel, then start 1st class at Worcester

- Tourists play every County with strong sides in competitive matches and people care - remember Glamorgan beating the Aussies in 64 and 68?

- Wednesday/Saturday starts for County matches - you knew what to expect and what was happening.

- Gillette Cup matches on Wednesdays - crowds flocking to the grounds.

- Sunday League games on......Sundays, surprise, surprise, as opposed to now when they are scheduled on any/every day of the week and some are day-time and some are day/night.

- A 5 Test series starting at Trent Bridge, on to Lord's and finishing at the Oval.

- Season finale with the Gillette Cup Final in the first week of September.

Watching a wonderful day's cricket at Liverpool in the CC last August was like a slap in the face for me, reminding me that this is what cricket is about, not some 20 over knockabout - leave that for the kids and the evening parks teams, where it's appropriate.

But I'd better get eady for endless huddles, high-5ing, pedestrian over rates, glove touching, completely OTT celebrations and general expressions of man-love, batsman pointing their bats at their team-mates and not acknowledging the crowds and not forgetting the anodyne media interviews where players are forced to spew out platitudes about good bowling, batting or fielding 'units', bowling in the 'right areas' (including back of a length which mysteriously replaced short of a length at some point), and accepting the positives of defeats 'going forward'.

I have no wish for a return to the structure of the 60s (or 70s when I started watching).

Three day games which, unless the pitch was poor (could be rain affected) would have to rely on a series of declarations - and likely a spell of joke cricket - to manufacture a result (can still happen now but then it was a daily occurance).

Counties rarely put even close to full strength sides out against touring teams. Certainly by June the older players grabbed a rest and they blooded some kids. Touring teams, rightly, want three or four warm up games before the internationals start. They don't bring over as large a squad and there's no point dragging around the country playing these matches which don't attract big crowds anyway. And having two touring teams a summer is an improvement IMO.

The 30x 3 day match county season produced heaps of dross. A lot of time servers grounding out 1000 runs (av. 33)or 90 (av 27) wickets per season, mostly boringly.

In the 70s there were only 3 English bowlers who were rated 'fast' - by which I would say generally bowling in the late 80 mph range and slipping into the low 90s. Bob Willis, John Snow (when the mood was on him) and Alan Ward. two of these, due to the workload, were either rarely fit or eventually hardly played County cricket. Most of the rest of the pace bowlers were on the slower side of fast medium (the likes of Chris Old and Peter Lever amongst very few exceptions) and there were a lot of distinctly medium pace trundlers (in the mid 1970s if Andy Roberts wasn't available Hampshire would often have their bowling opened by John Rice and Trevor Jesty:(). This was because the daily slog of bowling fast (plus travelling all round the country, often at night) would burn a quick bowler out in a very short time. There were also a lot of non spinning spin bowlers who, by dint of bowling a lot, and the odd bad pitch, would get many wickets - but they were very ordinary (how often did you hear the term 'canny'? I knew what that meant, line and length with few variations (and little of any 'flight'), set the field to save singles and cover the odd 'slog', sit and wait. Usual figures 18 - 4 - 45 - 2. "Well bowled". No. Very dull, but good enough for a new contract).

As for the packed crowds at Gillette and later B&H matches - yes for a time but as always these were getting less popular even by the early 80s. When it started the John Player League got full houses, especially for televised games. I noticed by the late 70s there were more and more gaps in the stands - a similar thing has happened in 20Twenty and Day/Night games.

The halcyon days of huge crowds flocking to 'ordinary' one day matches didn't last long.

I have no problem with player celebrations - as long as they don't disrespect opponents, and players almost always acknowledge the crowd (such as it is).

I agree that the season needs a proper structure - a narrative if you would - and have posted on what I feel it should be before. Last summer, which had a lot of four day county cricket played by mid June, then seeminglty none until August, which other things appearing and disappearing at strange times, did nobody any good (least of all, I ssupect, the players). My proposal would lead to a more robust challenge for talented young players and those near to the Test squad, wouldn't burn out the top players, would smoke out those who aren't going to play international cricket, but still give them decent career, make a lot of Club cricket closer to county standard (the 'lesser' county players would, by and large, play Club cricket from early July) and would give a better, more sensible, flow to the season.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frood wrote: »
    Twas ever thus.

Those in power are not good in passing it down - it's easier to blame the team and caoch, have a review and remain in power.

I have no wish for a return to the structure of the 60s (or 70s when I started watching).

Three day games which, unless the pitch was poor (could be rain affected) would have to rely on a series of declarations - and likely a spell of joke cricket - to manufacture a result (can still happen now but then it was a daily occurance).

Counties rarely put even close to full strength sides out against touring teams. Certainly by June the older players grabbed a rest and they blooded some kids. Touring teams, rightly, want three or four warm up games before the internationals start. They don't bring over as large a squad and there's no point dragging around the country playing these matches which don't attract big crowds anyway. And having two touring teams a summer is an improvement IMO.

The 30x 3 day match county season produced heaps of dross. A lot of time servers grounding out 1000 runs (av. 33)or 90 (av 27) wickets per season, mostly boringly.

In the 70s there were only 3 English bowlers who were rated 'fast' - by which I would say generally bowling in the late 80 mph range and slipping into the low 90s. Bob Willis, John Snow (when the mood was on him) and Alan Ward. two of these, due to the workload, were either rarely fit or eventually hardly played County cricket. Most of the rest of the pace bowlers were on the slower side of fast medium (the likes of Chris Old and Peter Lever amongst very few exceptions) and there were a lot of distinctly medium pace trundlers (in the mid 1970s if Andy Roberts wasn't available Hampshire would often have their bowling opened by John Rice and Trevor Jesty:(). This was because the daily slog of bowling fast (plus travelling all round the country, often at night) would burn a quick bowler out in a very short time. There were also a lot of non spinning spin bowlers who, by dint of bowling a lot, and the odd bad pitch, would get many wickets - but they were very ordinary (how often did you hear the term 'canny'? I knew what that meant, line and length with few variations (and little of any 'flight'), set the field to save singles and cover the odd 'slog', sit and wait. Usual figures 18 - 4 - 45 - 2. "Well bowled". No. Very dull, but good enough for a new contract).

As for the packed crowds at Gillette and later B&H matches - yes for a time but as always these were getting less popular even by the early 80s. When it started the John Player League got full houses, especially for televised games. I noticed by the late 70s there were more and more gaps in the stands - a similar thing has happened in 20Twenty and Day/Night games.

The halcyon days of huge crowds flocking to 'ordinary' one day matches didn't last long.

I have no problem with player celebrations - as long as they don't disrespect opponents, and players almost always acknowledge the crowd (such as it is).

I agree that the season needs a proper structure - a narrative if you would - and have posted on what I feel it should be before. Last summer, which had a lot of four day county cricket played by mid June, then seeminglty none until August, which other things appearing and disappearing at strange times, did nobody any good (least of all, I ssupect, the players). My proposal would lead to a more robust challenge for talented young players and those near to the Test squad, wouldn't burn out the top players, would smoke out those who aren't going to play international cricket, but still give them decent career, make a lot of Club cricket closer to county standard (the 'lesser' county players would, by and large, play Club cricket from early July) and would give a better, more sensible, flow to the season.

All good points, well put, Frood, although I think the picture you paint applies more to the 70's into the mid 80's than the 60's.

It was certainly in this decade that crowds flocked to Gillette Cup games, especially from QF onwards. Then again, it was very new and excitement was high becasue of that.

And I don't want to get too misty eyed about the past as there was plenty wrong, that's for sure.

I even read a magazine letter complaining about seam bowlers constantly bowling the 'professional' line and length, just short of a length and just wide of the off stump and that this approach was killing county cricket. The date? Summer 1949 in The Cricketer!!!

Thinking about it further, it's the consistency of the 60's scheduling that I yearn for, not necessarily that schedule itself not the cricket that it produced through into the 70's and 80's.

I wouldn't even mind if they said that June is T20 month and get the whole thing finished in 30 days, including the latter rounds/Finals day.

The rest of the season could be built around LVCC games starting on the same day PLEASE and the 40 overs stuff (put back to 50) topping and/or tailing the week.

I like your ideas from before. But from my admittedly old experinece of club cricket in Middlesex, the County was kept quite seperate to the Clubs. You never had the County coach or representatives (Scouts/Assistant Coaches) coming to the Clubs.

Players might mysteriously be selected for Middx 2nd team games, but it was all a rather strange and mirky world where as a young player you weren't told what and how you right get another step up the ladder.

To keep its' options open, the County kept its' cards close to its' chest.

I don't know how it is now in Middlesex and it may be different in other Counties? Maybe relationships can be closer knit and things a bit more transparent.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All good points, well put, Frood, although I think the picture you paint applies more to the 70's into the mid 80's than the 60's.

It was certainly in this decade that crowds flocked to Gillette Cup games, especially from QF onwards. Then again, it was very new and excitement was high becasue of that.

And I don't want to get too misty eyed about the past as there was plenty wrong, that's for sure.

I even read a magazine letter complaining about seam bowlers constantly bowling the 'professional' line and length, just short of a length and just wide of the off stump and that this approach was killing county cricket. The date? Summer 1949 in The Cricketer!!!

Thinking about it further, it's the consistency of the 60's scheduling that I yearn for, not necessarily that schedule itself not the cricket that it produced through into the 70's and 80's.

I wouldn't even mind if they said that June is T20 month and get the whole thing finished in 30 days, including the latter rounds/Finals day.

The rest of the season could be built around LVCC games starting on the same day PLEASE and the 40 overs stuff (put back to 50) topping and/or tailing the week.

I like your ideas from before. But from my admittedly old experinece of club cricket in Middlesex, the County was kept quite seperate to the Clubs. You never had the County coach or representatives (Scouts/Assistant Coaches) coming to the Clubs.

Players might mysteriously be selected for Middx 2nd team games, but it was all a rather strange and mirky world where as a young player you weren't told what and how you right get another step up the ladder.

To keep its' options open, the County kept its' cards close to its' chest.

I don't know how it is now in Middlesex and it may be different in other Counties? Maybe relationships can be closer knit and things a bit more transparent.

Thanks Tennisman.

Novelties - as the Gillette was in the 60s, the Sunday League in the 80s and swish 'n giggle in more recent years tend to attract crowds, then tail off.

Also, re the first two, I think there was generally more 'free time' for people to attend. On a Sunday now a father/husband is far more likely to be dragged out to Ikea or a theme park. No shopping years ago on a Sunday, man goes and watches, or plays, cricket. My Club's Sunday list used to have some fine fixtures and good cricket - and 4 teams. Now few Clubs play much at any kind of decent level on a Sunday.

Enjoyed the quote from the 1949 edition of The Cricketer. I recall a while back reading an article from the mid 1890s bemoaning Ranjitsinhji's leg side shots as evil and complaining that 'batsman don't hit the ball anymore'.

When I see film of matches from the 1970s it sometimes looks very tame and unimaginative.

I suspect Counties are much more 'connected' with the local Clubs now and it's rather less of the old pal's act, or smoke and mirrors, than it was even in the 80s. I recall players being summoned from nowhere and appearing for Counties.

I'd like to see 20Twenty in a 3 week period and maybe the 50 over game in two 2 week blocks then a knock out. I can also see the point of 4 day games starting on a set day but the Counties would likely want them in mid week - leaving weekends for the bigger crowd pullers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Tennisman.

Novelties - as the Gillette was in the 60s, the Sunday League in the 80s and swish 'n giggle in more recent years tend to attract crowds, then tail off.

Also, re the first two, I think there was generally more 'free time' for people to attend. On a Sunday now a father/husband is far more likely to be dragged out to Ikea or a theme park. No shopping years ago on a Sunday, man goes and watches, or plays, cricket. My Club's Sunday list used to have some fine fixtures and good cricket - and 4 teams. Now few Clubs play much at any kind of decent level on a Sunday.

Enjoyed the quote from the 1949 edition of The Cricketer. I recall a while back reading an article from the mid 1890s bemoaning Ranjitsinhji's leg side shots as evil and complaining that 'batsman don't hit the ball anymore'.

When I see film of matches from the 1970s it sometimes looks very tame and unimaginative.

I suspect Counties are much more 'connected' with the local Clubs now and it's rather less of the old pal's act, or smoke and mirrors, than it was even in the 80s. I recall players being summoned from nowhere and appearing for Counties.

I'd like to see 20Twenty in a 3 week period and maybe the 50 over game in two 2 week blocks then a knock out. I can also see the point of 4 day games starting on a set day but the Counties would likely want them in mid week - leaving weekends for the bigger crowd pullers.

I'd support all of that, Frood.

Manageable bite-size chunks of one day cricket interspersed within the foundation of a 16 game LVCC season; easier to

- understand.maximise interest levels for the fans

- market/sell/communicate by the clubs/media/ECB

- prepare and play for the coaches/players.

You could even call the LVCC stages as Phases 1,2 etc;

Phase 2 - Match 3 (a bit like they do in the Champions League in football). I just feel that this sort of numbering/tagging would keep it simple and easily 'graspable' for everyone.

LVCC Phase 1

Pro50 Phase 1

LVCC Phase 2

T20 Phase

LVCC Phase 3

Pro 50 Phase 2

LVCC Phase 4

Pro 50 Knock out phase.

Or something similar???

That day I went to Liverpool for Lancs/Hants was a Thursday and there were probably 2,000 there. I think they usually get c750 at OT for most Lanky days of LVCC.

They should go for broke on the big days as the lions share of revenues does come from T20/One day games.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    Not sure what the latest is in the Notts match, but hopefully we can get a bad result out of the way.

Yorks and Somerset look the best best for the title this year. Notts have problems with their bowling now that Sidebottom has gone.

Look out for Warwicks this year, Woakes is a class act, though they have lost Imran Tahir to Hants for some reason
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd support all of that, Frood.

Manageable bite-size chunks of one day cricket interspersed within the foundation of a 16 game LVCC season; easier to

- understand.maximise interest levels for the fans

- market/sell/communicate by the clubs/media/ECB

- prepare and play for the coaches/players.

You could even call the LVCC stages as Phases 1,2 etc;

Phase 2 - Match 3 (a bit like they do in the Champions League in football). I just feel that this sort of numbering/tagging would keep it simple and easily 'graspable' for everyone.

LVCC Phase 1

Pro50 Phase 1

LVCC Phase 2

T20 Phase

LVCC Phase 3

Pro 50 Phase 2

LVCC Phase 4

Pro 50 Knock out phase.

Or something similar???

That day I went to Liverpool for Lancs/Hants was a Thursday and there were probably 2,000 there. I think they usually get c750 at OT for most Lanky days of LVCC.

They should go for broke on the big days as the lions share of revenues does come from T20/One day games.

We should call Lords........:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We should call Lords........:D

Wonder how many committees they'd set up???
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As far as I am concerned there is no problem with the current 2 division Championship format and I wouldn't want to see that change. I would, however, like to see the List A competition return to 50 overs per side although I like the current format of three randomly drawn conferences leading to semi-finals and a final with the presence of Scotland, Netherlands and Unicorns.

I think T20 needs to return to the format used up until 2009 which I had no problem with (3 regional groups of 6, quarter-finals and finals day). This would cut 6 games off the season for each team.

Championship games should generally be played Wednesday to Saturday although I understand why the List A competition has to vary so more matches can be shown on TV. Twenty20 should be all in one block in June, so that good overseas players can be attracted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,864
    Forum Member
    Does anyone else think that having both the semi finals and finals of the Twenty20 competition on the same day defeats the purpose of why T20 was created in the first place?

How about having a finals weekend with the semi finals played on Saturday and the final on Sunday?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shelsey93 wrote: »
    As far as I am concerned there is no problem with the current 2 division Championship format and I wouldn't want to see that change. I would, however, like to see the List A competition return to 50 overs per side although I like the current format of three randomly drawn conferences leading to semi-finals and a final with the presence of Scotland, Netherlands and Unicorns.

I think T20 needs to return to the format used up until 2009 which I had no problem with (3 regional groups of 6, quarter-finals and finals day). This would cut 6 games off the season for each team.

Championship games should generally be played Wednesday to Saturday although I understand why the List A competition has to vary so more matches can be shown on TV. Twenty20 should be all in one block in June, so that good overseas players can be attracted.

Agreed 100%.

Will you chair t'committee?:p