Options

"PVR" for radio.

RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,369
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is there such a thing as a "PVR" (I suppose it should be called a PAR!) for radio?

It would be useful to record programmes and "skip back" when one didn't catch what was said.

Comments

• Options
    N.DeanN.Dean Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some PRVs will record radio, from Freeview TV.
    I use a radio-cassette and a timeswitch. I can then play the tapes in the car ( via a Walkman ).
  • Options
    hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The new Pure One Classic has a recording feature,
    http://radiotoday.co.uk/2011/09/new-pure-classic-includes-listen-later/
    some DAB sets have EPG info to be used for setting recordings on SD cards.
    http://www.robertsradio.co.uk/Products/DAB_radios/SOUND_41/index.htm
    The EPG lets you view or record available DAB radio shows up to 7 days in advance. Simply find the programme and select it to record to your SD card. You can then listen back at your leisure. The timer can be set manually too you can plan your listening in advance and simply programme in the stations. The SOUND 41 will automatically tune to the pre programmed shows and play them – there’s no need to remember to switch channel!
    The RadioDNS project is working on an enhanced EPG for DAB,FM and internet sets! So far seems only the Pure Sensia has RadioDNS built in.
    http://radiodns.org/
    The other significant change is to our RadioEPG specification. It has always been an aim of the project to enable true Hybrid Radio - a radio that can switch seamlessly between distribution technologies. The update to the RadioEPG specification gives a radio all the information it needs to find the same radio station in different ways. In practical terms, that means a broadcaster can tell a device to move listeners from IP streaming to FM, HD, DAB where a good broadcast signal is available, or vice versa.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    I use my Topfield 5800 Freeview PVRs to record radio programmes and playback through my AV amp or hi-fi amp. I need my TV on to see what is going on although I could apply a mod to the front panel display to make it more informative. Usually I can operate blind especially to navigate through an active recording or playback.
  • Options
    2Bdecided2Bdecided Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Freesat PVRs work wonderfully for radio (if the station you want is on the Freesat EPG!). Even Series Links work (for BBC stations at least).

And it's far easier to flick through an EPG on a TV screen than a tiny display - but (with the audio output connected to your HiFi) you only need the TV on to look at the EPG or recordings library - when you're just listening, you can switch the TV off. Don't even need the TV to flick through channels if the PVR has a decent front panel display, which many do.

Cheers,
    David.

P.S. or there's always iPlayer.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    I'm delighted with the radio recording capabilities of My TIVO box from Virgin,I can even record Ricky Ross on BBC Radio Scotland,I also use two Pure Bugs,and a Pure Evoe 3 to record onto SD card
    What I'd really like is for Pure to make a decent Internet/DAB radio with multiple tuners to allow simultaneous recordings on dab or wifi,multiple timers and alarms,and a hefty hard drive to store recordings,and optical digital output

Incidentally,there no Jazz FM on Virgin Media,which for me is a sad omission
  • Options
    vinnielovinnielo Posts: 8,359
    Forum Member
    With www.radiorecorder.co.uk, you can schedule recordings of radio stations.
    There's no need for your computer to be switched on during the recording, and you can even schedule from your smartphone if you don't happen to be home.
    Oh, and it's free.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    vinnielo wrote: »
    There's no need for your computer to be switched on during the recording, and you can even schedule from your smartphone if you don't happen to be home.
    Oh, and it's free.

Thanks, that looks like an interesting idea, I'll give it a bash.

Like others I use my Freeview PVR to record radio, I think series links are working for me on some channels at least (BBC ones). If I'm really organised I use a USB dongle on my PC instead, so I can archive the recording easily.

When its working my PURE mini system allows recordings to be set up from the EPG - for the few channels on DAB that broadcast an EPG. Their 'ReVu' system is effectively a live pause with an 11 minute buffer (On Planet Rock anyway, since they dropped their bitrate) which allows you to skip the ads. or rewind as the OP wanted.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    What a great idea.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Pure The Bug running version 2,2 software is my PAR. I can pause and rewind live radio on there too witht e Revu system too. The Bug is able to display Radio Text - for eample and other useful information. and be set from the Radio EPG or manually to record to SD

At RNIB Shop's website there's http://www.rnib.org.uk/shop/Page/Pro...oductID=HD0801 which works for analogue radio.
    N.Dean wrote: »
    I use a radio-cassette and a timeswitch. I can then play the tapes in the car ( via a Walkman ).

Here's the all in one for the audio cassette format http://www.askdirect.co.uk/Portable-Audio/Portable-CD-and-Cassette-Players/sc1461/p5092.aspx
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.culture.gov.uk/what_we_do/broadcasting/7228.aspx

Looks like the analogue solution to recording radio is going to be fine for some years yet:D

From the www,pure.com/switchover pages

Extra features
    Even though they’re easier to use, digital radios bring you lots more features. There’s scrolling text to show track titles, artists’ names, news and sports results. textSCAN enables you to pause and control the scrolling text and Intellitext allows extra text information from participating stations to be stored and read on demand. Some models allow you to pause and rewind live digital radio and include the ability to upgrade the radio via USB or Wi-Fi. The latest models on the market are even starting to introduce a visual element to radio allowing synchronised pictures to be added to radio broadcasts showing news, presenters, artists, weather, travel, promotional items and more. Digital radio is increasingly being combined with other technologies such as iPod docking, and internet radio which use your home Wi-Fi network to access radio stations broadcasting on the internet.
  • Options
    pepstarpepstar Posts: 961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    N.Dean wrote: »

Oh dear!!!!! please tell me your not serious!? :D
  • Options
    RobPyattRobPyatt Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    back in the day I used to use a video recorder with a radio connected to it.

these days, I use radio downloader - http://www.nerdoftheherd.com/tools/radiodld/

this works very well, and can download podcasts as well.
  • Options
    uksoundzuksoundz Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    I can vouch for radiorecorder.co.uk I've been using it sometime now, and it's fantastic, does everything I need and as the poster said, best of all it's free.

I've only recently found out that I can record radio on my Sky+ box, and can set it to record once, daily or Mon-Fri, so pretty good.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2Bdecided wrote: »
    Freesat PVRs work wonderfully for radio (if the station you want is on the Freesat EPG!). Even Series Links work (for BBC stations at least).

I record a few radio programmes on the PVR because they are on at odd times when I might miss them. I get the impression that they use a lot more hard disc space than necessary because of being recorded as a TV programme but I could be wrong.
  • Options
    mfrmfr Posts: 5,626
    Forum Member
    vinnielo wrote: »
    Oh, and it's free.

Brilliant - thank you. I saw DAR a while back and didn't realise there was a UK site.
  • Options
    JustinThePubJustinThePub Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    I get the impression that they use a lot more hard disc space than necessary because of being recorded as a TV programme but I could be wrong.

No, they take up hardly any space. I have 100s recorded on my Freesat recorder.
  • Options
    N.DeanN.Dean Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sue_Aitch wrote: »

Thanks for the suggestion. I have used one of these. It records alarm beeps for the first few seconds of the recording
  • Options
    voltorevoltore Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    mfr wrote: »
    Brilliant - thank you. I saw DAR a while back and didn't realise there was a UK site.

I played with the DAR site last week and found it generally unreliable. (I'm in the US so it's DAR for me).

One Recording started 12 minutes late.
    One recording didn't, it threw an error 24 hours later
    Recorded an internet radio station, it clearly splits the files on metadata changes, so I had over 90 files for a 2 hour recording.
    Recording BBC stuff, it splits them into 15 minutes files which I Understand why, but is a pain to playback on my iPhone. Sigh

Overall, the concept is there, but it's not really mature yet and the fact it splits the files on metadata changes for internet radio, I think Soundexchange in the US may get a bit p'eed off!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    Excuse my ignorance but what does PVR stand for and what does EPG stand for? Bit new to all this but loving the newfound friendship ;)
  • Options
    Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    I recommend the Pure DAB radios that have recording to an SD card. I have a Pure Evoke which has a large EPG screen and an "event timer"

Useful for recording all the bits I like during the day and then listening back when slaving in the kitchen.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/EVOKE-3-Portable-Stereo-Radio-Recording/dp/B001HBIXSM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317225784&sr=8-1

I have this. Its brilliant - sometimes it can play up but being able to record things is cool, so I always have something to listen to when I can't sleep at night!
  • Options
    2Bdecided2Bdecided Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personal Video Recorder
    Electronic Programme Guide
  • Options
    hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    voltore wrote: »
    I played with the DAR site last week and found it generally unreliable. (I'm in the US so it's DAR for me).

One Recording started 12 minutes late.
    One recording didn't, it threw an error 24 hours later
    Recorded an internet radio station, it clearly splits the files on metadata changes, so I had over 90 files for a 2 hour recording.
    Recording BBC stuff, it splits them into 15 minutes files which I Understand why, but is a pain to playback on my iPhone. Sigh

Overall, the concept is there, but it's not really mature yet and the fact it splits the files on metadata changes for internet radio, I think Soundexchange in the US may get a bit p'eed off!
    radiofeeds linkup with DAR is interesting and since it runs on several devices has some potential, if it can link to the radioDNS EPG data for all platforms (FM, DAB, DRM, HD and internet) being developed by the BBC and Global for use worldwide, then should help improve recording reliability.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/RadioDNS

As the BBC and commercial stations have good relations with PRS in the UK they allow listen again streaming, but some recording to MP3 or podcasts is restricted.
    The BBC seem to say listen again for plays and comedy is for a week then you need to by the CD or download from itunes (or simular pay site)
    Needs a proper name Digital Audio Recorder seems to be a DAR.FM tademark now!
  • Options
    Marti SMarti S Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    Not probably what the OP was looking for but Sky+ can record radio if u set up a manual record, shame they dont allow it to live pause and rewind but by listening on a short delay you can effectively do that.

Do Freeview PVRs allow manual recording from Freeview radio?
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    Mine certainly do. And mine allows timer recordings. I am surprised to learn that Sky boxes and some Freeview boxes do not as it means the developers must have put in extra effort into making it behave differently for TV and for radio. :eek: