Universal Credit, new benefits system 2013

Comments

• What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    Assuming people getting it are not idiots then they will be able to pay their bills like people in work have to. Or are you suggesting they are too stupid to budget in which case probably unemployable.
    You can't assume that any group doesn't contain idiots which is why an efficient system should take them into account and be idiot proof if possible. This idea clearly assums the opposite that which is idiotic. Which shows that even highly educated, and elected leaders include people so foolish that they can't manage to understand human nature and how to organise a piss up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is the problem with monthly? I have managed for the past 5 years absolutely no problem.

Each month I know what I am getting and I have arranged for all money after bills to be put onto a pre pay debit card......... and I am crap with money, the worst!

It is just simple budgeting. You know what your rent is, you have bank balance, just make sure you leave the rent money in and that amount is showing on your bank balance.

I am not sure how the new benefit will affect people financially but complaining you will have to start keeping your money in the bank for when the rent is due I find a bit lame, sorry.

Do you pay for your Sky, Electric, water etc weekly?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    In principal I think it is a good idea, and I'm a current JSA/HB claimant. The thing that does worry me though are what happens during the changeover, as has been said already, it appears that I will be expected to stretch out my last fortnightly payment to last a month until my first UC payment is made. After that monthly payments will be fine for me as I pretty much pay everything monthly as it is. I am also on Local Housing Allowance, which is paid to me to then pay to my landlord, so that part doesn't worry me either.

I have also read that even if I was to gain a part time job, and still had to receive some UC, I will now be expected to still attend such things as the Work Programme and the Job Centre and will still be pushed to find other employment or risk sanctions. Fine for me, I am after a full time job anyway, but I can't see that going down well with say parents who take part time jobs due to childcare arrangements etc.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    What is the problem with monthly? I have managed for the past 5 years absolutely no problem.

Each month I know what I am getting and I have arranged for all money after bills to be put onto a pre pay debit card......... and I am crap with money, the worst!

It is just simple budgeting. You know what your rent is, you have bank balance, just make sure you leave the rent money in and that amount is showing on your bank balance.

I am not sure how the new benefit will affect people financially but complaining you will have to start keeping your money in the bank for when the rent is due I find a bit lame, sorry.

monthly pay will be a pain in the arse but not having my rent paid directly to the council will be total carnage when i`m manic, one more thing to worry about. i think it should be a choice.

edit: and a dreadful temptation for addicts.
  • What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of people do - those who have had previous problems budgeting and been put on a meter. That is the same reason why many people's rent is paid directly, so that they don't fall behind in it and end up making themselves homeless - because you can't put rent on a meter.

The problem with this is that benefits are just a subsistance amount, they don't cover lifes emergencies or pay enough to put money by for them. If peole dip into their rent, electric or water money to pay for the emergency then some of them may find it very very difficult to get their budgets back in balance becasue they are living on the minimum as it is and so have little to cut back on.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does seem as half-baked as everything else this government have come up with.

Not that they will care of course.

It's all ideology with this lot. We have seen that with the NHS, schools and even the economy itself.

It all reminds me of the USA. A land for the rich. Excellence for the few.
  • Janey JonesJaney Jones Posts: 878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In principal I think it is a good idea, and I'm a current JSA/HB claimant. The thing that does worry me though are what happens during the changeover, as has been said already, it appears that I will be expected to stretch out my last fortnightly payment to last a month until my first UC payment is made. After that monthly payments will be fine for me as I pretty much pay everything monthly as it is. I am also on Local Housing Allowance, which is paid to me to then pay to my landlord, so that part doesn't worry me either.

I have also read that even if I was to gain a part time job, and still had to receive some UC, I will now be expected to still attend such things as the Work Programme and the Job Centre and will still be pushed to find other employment or risk sanctions. Fine for me, I am after a full time job anyway, but I can't see that going down well with say parents who take part time jobs due to childcare arrangements etc.

My understanding is that anyone working fewer than 35 hours per week and in receipt of HB will have to prove that they are seeking full-time work or risk losing their housing costs.

As at the moment, restrictions on hours owing to child care and health issues will continue to be taken into account (unless anyone else knows differently).

Attendance at the Work Programme should (in theory) be arranged around the hours that you work part-time, assuming that the job is for less than 16 hours per week (if you obtain work for 16 hours a week or more, JCP consider that to be full-time employment for the purposes of JSA!)

Whether this will change after the introduction of UC is still anybody's guess :confused:
  • teresagreenteresagreen Posts: 16,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can see people being evicted from their homes for not paying the rent.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monthly payments? :eek:

I much prefer weekly/two weekly payments and especially my rent to be paid directly to my Landlord. I can see it becoming a problem with people tempted to spend most/all the money before the end of the month. Also the potential problem of getting more in debt or behind with rent.

Especially as a single parent and currently unemployed I can see this being a struggle to adapt too.
    I can see people being evicted from their homes for not paying the rent.

I'm sure the government will be aware of this and so want some people to fail.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    Assuming people getting it are not idiots then they will be able to pay their bills like people in work have to. Or are you suggesting they are too stupid to budget in which case probably unemployable.

I don't think it's about people being stupid, If someone is in debt because of their sudden reduced income then it won't be that hard for them to be tempted to miss the rent for a week to pay off the gas bill because it's going to be cut off. It then starts to spiral out of control.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Swinetown wrote: »
    I think the Housing Benefit element is going to be problematic.

This one is ringing alarm bells with me, I think the vision is to encourage financial responsibility and promote budgeting.

I presume this because of what they say about moving to monthly payments.

It's certainly sobering for me. :( I let properties to previously homeless people who fall outside the scope of agencies like the YMCA. We are talking people with long-term substance abuse problems, people with severe mental health problems, ex-prisoners etc. When previously the council decided to switch to direct payments we had 100% failure rate in keeping up to date with the rent. I genuinely thought I would go bankrupt. Then the council saw sense and reverted to paying me when the tenant declares (which they all do) that they have trouble managing their money. Imagine giving the average 45 year old alcoholic with a history of vagrancy a month's benefits, including housing benefit, at once, and expecting him to manage it sensibly. We have already been through all kinds of shit over the last year trying not to evict tenants whose housing benefit has been slashed to the shared room rate, which imo is utterly unsuitable for people with major mental health issues. Now we face another mountain to climb trying to find a way by which tenants who can't manage money and have never had a bank account in their lives can budget over a month.

Some of our tenants are likely to die if we evict them - they are in poor health with a long history of self-neglect. We have tried very hard to build a relationship of trust with them, even showing them repeatedly, in some cases, how to use the wheelie bins. They can't manage a month's money at once and they know it. It is ridiculous that the government won't allow exemptions for vulnerable tenants. It is transparently an attempt by the government to save money, and never mind the financial harm to landlords and personal harm to tenants. My heart really sank when I understood it.
  • gavinfarrellygavinfarrelly Posts: 6,195
    Forum Member
    Fully expect the new system to go down shortly after being implemented. Saving millions on welfare payments and leaving thousands of homes in severe hardship. But who cares...these people are nothing but scroungers anyway, right?:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose this is what like living under a millionaires dictatorship would be like.

Easy-to-fire, workfare, NHS-degraded, state schools-degraded, emails-stored,web-visits tracked.

Unless you are already doing rather well it does not seem like most people will ever have any kind of social mobility for themselves or their children.

It's a land for the elite. Imagine if the Conservatives win in 2015?

I wonder what would come next?
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope no-one here is part-time or underemployed. If your wage is lower than the gross pay of someone on a 35 hour minimum wage job, you may be required to undertake job search requirements to find a full time job to keep your Universal Credit. Failure to do so will result in sanctions, including being put on workfare - that means you'll be forced out of your current job.

So where are all these full time jobs going to emerge from when companies are obsessing over workfare, zero hour contracts, unpaid internships, jobshare et al?
    Forum Member
    Hope no-one here is part-time or underemployed. If your wage is lower than the gross pay of someone on a 35 hour minimum wage job, you may be required to undertake job search requirements to find a full time job to keep your Universal Credit. Failure to do so will result in sanctions, including being put on workfare - that means you'll be forced out of your current job.

So where are all these full time jobs going to emerge from when companies are obsessing over workfare, zero hour contracts, unpaid internships, jobshare et al?

Yes this part is extremely worrying. Surely part time work is better than no work at all (or 'workfare' schemes :rolleyes:)
  • kyresakyresa Posts: 16,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Really? Where is that documented!??!?! (it may affect me!)

Love to know where all these jobs are going to come from!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stuff like this is a gift to Labour.

And not just for 2015, people won't forget for the rest of their lives being forced to look for work while actually in work simply because they are being paid a pittance.

It's an elaborate suicide plan by the Conservatives.
    Forum Member
    the peasants always seem to end up revolting under the tories, i wish they`d pick up speed before we`re all done for.
    Forum Member
    http://johnnyvoid.wordpress.com/2012/06/19/how-universal-credit-will-destroy-part-time-work/
    Someone working 30 hours a week may be forced to immediately leave and take up a 32 hour a week job. The same will apply to someone working 10 hours a week, who may be forced to leave to work somewhere else for 12 hours. Until the magic figure of 35 hours a week is reached, claimants will be continually hounded in and out of work.
    :eek::eek::eek:
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kyresa wrote: »
    Really? Where is that documented!??!?! (it may affect me!)

Love to know where all these jobs are going to come from!
    I did a whole thread on it when it was first discovered:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=57031245
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iain Smith and benefits reform: what could possibly go wrong? :rolleyes:
  • kyresakyresa Posts: 16,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are there any actual figures out there on what you'll get based on what you earn?? I see a lot of documents but no actual figures!
    Forum Member
    kyresa wrote: »
    Are there any actual figures out there on what you'll get based on what you earn?? I see a lot of documents but no actual figures!

http://policyinpractice.co.uk/universal-credit/universal-credit-calculator/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has to be said that the beginning of this was the hounding of people who are out of work for whatever reason, illness/disability/other

And not many people were very sympathetic. Perhaps not realising they would be next I suppose.

I am completely certain that the "NHS" will go the same way. Eventually with limits attached on how much "free" NHS a person can get.

First will be the government attacks on alcoholics and drug addicts, then making it harder for them get medical care....

This is a very extremist government. Like the Republicans in the USA in many ways.
    Forum Member
    workhouse revival suddenly doesn`t seem at all far fetched.:eek: