Martin Freeman's partner 'declared bankrupt'..

Comments

• Dave1979Dave1979 Posts: 1,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe he has offered and she has refused as she is financially independent? (Just not very good at it)
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    googleking wrote: »
    Let's hope she remembers to put some of her earnings from it aside for the eventual tax bill then, like the rest of us :D

:D:D:D:D

funniest thing i have read all day.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    The couple were on The One Show last night.

Now I don't know if it's unconsious bias after knowing about the bankruptcy but I was thinking she was coming across as a little smug.

Not that it was likely that Jones or Baker would bring this stuff up.
  • blowupblowup Posts: 1,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »

Now I don't know if it's unconsious bias after knowing about the bankruptcy but I was thinking she was coming across as a little smug.

I don't find her annoying but the situation is. Having the house in his name etc, I very much doubt he 'refused to pay' or she 'wanted her independence'.
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I was hoping they would ask why he let her be declared bankrupt when I'm sure he could afford to pay the tax bill for her. They came across as a rather repellent pair.
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sadly not, since Freeman and Abbington are regularly employed by the BBC!

It does seem a joke how she seemingly cannot keep her finances in order when she both lives and raises a family with a wealthy individual. 'Ordinary' folk have no such choice in the matter.
  • Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sloopy wrote: »
    Sadly not, since Freeman and Abbington are regularly employed by the BBC!

It does seem a joke how she seemingly cannot keep her finances in order when she both lives and raises a family with a wealthy individual. 'Ordinary' folk have no such choice in the matter.

Agree. Something repellent about the whole situation.>:(
  • amy1234amy1234 Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    She has admitted not managing her money properly and pledged to pay it back.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/mr-selfridge-actress-amanda-abbington-brands-bankruptcy-publicity-mean-and-upsetting-8624858.html

She said on Twitter the other day the bankruptcy has been annulled as she sorted it all out.
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    People saying he should have helped her out. Maybe he knew things we don't, Like she needed to be taught a lesson and he wouldn't just 'fix it'

Could be many reasons.
  • Ray_SmithRay_Smith Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Martin, can you lend me a fiver this week?"

"**** off!"

:D
  • Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From what I've seen of Amanda Abbington on Twitter she seems very unlikeable (calling people ****s because they dared to dislike Steven Moffat) but if she has pleged to pay back what she owes then that's a good move.

Still dreading her being in Sherlock though. I think she only got the job because she's Martin Freeman's wife. Hopefully she will manage to be less gurning and irritating than she is in those awful Maltesers adverts.
  • whatever54whatever54 Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    amy1234 wrote: »
    She has admitted not managing her money properly and pledged to pay it back.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/mr-selfridge-actress-amanda-abbington-brands-bankruptcy-publicity-mean-and-upsetting-8624858.html

She said on Twitter the other day the bankruptcy has been annulled as she sorted it all out.

Good, it's a step in the right direction.
    From what I've seen of Amanda Abbington on Twitter she seems very unlikeable (calling people ****s because they dared to dislike Steven Moffat) but if she has pleged to pay back what she owes then that's a good move.

Still dreading her being in Sherlock though. I think she only got the job because she's Martin Freeman's wife. Hopefully she will manage to be less gurning and irritating than she is in those awful Maltesers adverts.

Ugh, I forget that's her.
  • DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Martin paying that bill is the same as us normals giving our partner £10. He could pay that in the blink of an eye and I bet you unlike normal bankrupts she has access to his vast wealth to buy gifts for her family and friends. Shouldn't be allowed.

If it was a fancy new car she wanted he would give her that money no doubt so why not the tax bill. Not forgetting she gets loads of money herself so could have afforded it if she were sensible.
  • *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm glad she's sorting it all out, but she's naive to think that it should be a private matter. The point is that if you reach the stage of being made bankrupt, which doesn't happen over night, it's because you are not paying your debts. If you aren't paying tax, then it's everyone's business. If you are not paying debts to private individuals and companies, then other private individuals and companies deserve to know, so they don't give you credit you won't pay back.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hold on now.

Amanda is not Martin's wife: these actors are not married. Their characters in Sherlock marry on screen on 5th January 2014.
  • Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    There are many reasons for people going bankrupt - most of them nothing to do with "avoiding" responsibilities.

Ms Abbingdon, whether with help, or not is paying it off - how she does so is nothing to do with us, however it would appear that the shortened timescale would seem to indicate that help MAY be involved.

"It's fine, it's being sorted out. It was a big mistake and I'm sorting it out right now.

"It's being paid off now. I would never want to go through this again. But I'm paying it off."The actress said: "It was just me not managing my finances properly.

Her partner has a take on whose business it is too

Amanda Abbington declared bankruptcy after not paying her tax bill of more than £100,000. It prompted opinion pieces on whether Freeman should have paid it for her, ”................ He sighs. “I know she copped it and it hurt. It's been said before so it's a cliché, but it happens to be true: you can stand anything for yourself, but when they turn on the people you love, it's excruciating and it's invasive, no question about it. I do think we have a right to privacy. My job as an actor is for you, so why should my private life be for you too? That's not fair. Fortunately, apart from this, I am not that fascinating for the tabloids. I don't need their approval. There are about 20 people in my life that I want to love me, and none of them are the Daily Mail.”

Fair play Mr Freeman, fair play.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sue_Aitch wrote: »
    Hold on now.

Amanda is not Martin's wife

Yes, my mistake there. She is his partner though and I believe they have children together?
    Forum Member
    Boohoo Martin Freeman, forgive me if I save my sympathy for others. Like Paul Bhattacherjee who took his own life as he was so ashamed by the bankruptcy tag, RIP poor man:cry:
  • mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    Digital spy article today about Martin Freeman's first audition for Sherlock being a disaster because he had been robbed earlier that day.
    Now he knows how the tax man felt - I thank you :-)
  • mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    Sue_Aitch wrote: »
    Hold on now.

Amanda is not Martin's wife: these actors are not married. Their characters in Sherlock marry on screen on 5th January 2014.

Lived with him for 10 years,has two children with him,but "not" his wife for "tax purposes" ;-);-)
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Yes, my mistake there. She is his partner though and I believe they have children together?

Yes - and they live together in the same house worth £1m along with their kids.

How exactly can you say their finances are separate - or can be proved to be so. Presumably they pay the bills, food, gas, council tax separately too.

Of course its a total tax dodge - if perfectly legitimate. If she wanted a new car I am sure Freeman would buy it. But pay her tax bill - thats a no no!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really am dreading her being in Sherlock. I wish literally anyone else had been cast.
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Indeed. I don't think anybody mentioned about their being married, which of course they are not.

Even so, if you are sharing a home and raising children then how 'separate' can 'separate' be??!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sloopy wrote: »

Even so, if you are sharing a home and raising children then how 'separate' can 'separate' be??!

Exactly.

For some reason these two are really winding me up when it comes to this bankruptcy and their taxes.
    Forum Member
    Exactly.

For some reason these two are really winding me up when it comes to this bankruptcy and their taxes.

Me too. I think it's because she seems so smug on twitter and then his pity party interview. I mean I quite agree he shouldn't let the Daily Mail get him down but he should quit moaning about the situation too. I used to think he was ok, not any more>:(