Martin Freeman's partner 'declared bankrupt'..

12346»

Comments

• NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really am dreading her being in Sherlock. I wish literally anyone else had been cast.

It must be such a pain when those connections sully the idea of someone bagging the role through talent alone.;-)
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never heard of her.
  • Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whatever54 wrote: »
    Me too. I think it's because she seems so smug on twitter and then his pity party interview. I mean I quite agree he shouldn't let the Daily Mail get him down but he should quit moaning about the situation too. I used to think he was ok, not any more>:(

Totally agree on all points here.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Westy2 wrote: »
    Never heard of her.

Was in Man Stroke Woman, a BBC sketch show, and Dare To Believe, an early hours surreal comedy show on ITV. Was also the storytelling princess on an ITV kids' afternoon programme, Ripley and Scuff. Fairly distinctive features, slightly ape-or-monkey-like, odd but without being ugly as such.
  • evangeline007evangeline007 Posts: 2,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe he's just not that fond of her!
    Yes actions speak louder than words.. To be publically shamed and to have your personal mishaps aired in the newspaper. I cannot believe he is worth £10 million. He does not appeal to me and comes over in interviews as cocksure and has the same expression in everything that I have seen.
  • UnlikelyHeroineUnlikelyHeroine Posts: 1,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In this situation I personally would sorry out my partner's tax bill. But I don't like the idea of attributing a status similar to being married to people who have chosen not to tie the knot even if they seem very "married" from the outside. There are legal consequences of being married that cut both ways that some people choose not to engage with and that is their right.
  • mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    The hilarious situation in the last ep of Sherlock where Freeman asks her to marry him - and every viewer is thinking "Hmmm,tax,bankruptcy,dodge"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To my great surprise I thought Amanda Abbington was great in Sherlock, but that doesn't mean she and Martin haven't come across very badly with this bankruptcy thing. Shame, as I liked Martin until this.
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In this situation I personally would sorry out my partner's tax bill. But I don't like the idea of attributing a status similar to being married to people who have chosen not to tie the knot even if they seem very "married" from the outside. There are legal consequences of being married that cut both ways that some people choose not to engage with and that is their right.

Even better not to get oneself declared bankrupt in the first place!!

Mr Freeman's finances are his own business - but it would have surely been preferable to have alleviated the situation quietly and therefore less likely to have become public.
  • Dancing GirlDancing Girl Posts: 8,209
    Forum Member
    ....over a £120,000 tax bill. Seeing he's supposedly worth 10 million, perhaps he could have chipped in to help? Why do these celebs never save to pay their tax bills when they arrive?? Yes, I'm talking about you too Martine.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/news/a464686/martin-freemans-partner-amanda-abbington-declared-bankrupt.html

Because they get away with it!! It is always the tax man who is shafted by these celebs. There is no shame attached to being bankrupt so that is why they do it. I do not know why they cannot have a PAYE system for tax for these actors/Z lister celebs like Kerry Katona. What I find amazing is that they still seem to live a very desirable life, although they have declared themselves bankrupt. No doubt, due to her partner's millions, Amanda Abbington will live a fabulous lifestyle and it is all just a paper formality to avoid paying tax!!
  • Dancing GirlDancing Girl Posts: 8,209
    Forum Member
    Yes actions speak louder than words.. To be publically shamed and to have your personal mishaps aired in the newspaper. I cannot believe he is worth £10 million. He does not appeal to me and comes over in interviews as cocksure and has the same expression in everything that I have seen.

I don't think that people feel if they declare themselves bankrupt, that it is in anyway shameful. It seems to be that every other day we read about this celeb or that actor/actress etc are bankrupt. Nobody cares except perhaps the people who lose money by being in business with these people but mostly it seems to be the taxman who losses out financially.
  • mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    Tonight we see Freeman marry her on Sherlock - Oh the Irony :-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think that people feel if they declare themselves bankrupt, that it is in anyway shameful.

They clearly don't. In fact, going bankrupt seems to be trendy these days - at least in celebland. The thing I hate about it the most is that it is a very bad influence on Joe Public, who will be mislead into thinking going bankrupt is no big deal. However, unlike these celebs, Joe Public will not have big hordes of money hidden away elsewhere so for him, going bankrupt really would be devastating.

The way celebs flaunt it like it's no big deal absolutely disgusts me.
  • whatever54whatever54 Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    I don't think they think it's trendy, more a don't give a toss attitude from the younger ones.
    I have slight sympathy for those that can no longer get a break and find themselves on the scrapheap...but when they are earning a decent wage (I expect)Ryan Thomas-Corrie, Maltesers woman from this thread, just pay your taxes>:(
  • Jennell_SierakoJennell_Sierako Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    I presume she has an accountant who handles all this sort of thing. My Husband has his own business and has an engineering degree but I am an accountant and handle all the cash and tax etc. If I messed it up my Husband would probably not realize as he expects me to deal with it all.

I wonder if she just lost track of it and expected her accountant to work out everything and he became useless or something. Also she may just be dim and a bit stupid. In fact they both may be stupid for all we know.

She was enjoyable in Sherlock anyhow.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whatever54 wrote: »
    I don't think they think it's trendy, more a don't give a toss attitude from the younger ones.
    I have slight sympathy for those that can no longer get a break and find themselves on the scrapheap...but when they are earning a decent wage (I expect)Ryan Thomas-Corrie, Maltesers woman from this thread, just pay your taxes>:(

But what has led them to think that way, I wonder? Just possibly seeing bankrupt celebs so carefree must have at least something to do with it.

I agree with the rest of your post.
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You do realise that she still has to pay the tax bill, right?
    Being declared bankrupt doesn't wipe the slate clean.

Could you explain how everyone made bankrupt still has to pay back all money owed? How does it work?
  • RedRoseRebelRedRoseRebel Posts: 1,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Could you explain how everyone made bankrupt still has to pay back all money owed? How does it work?

The banktupycy laws changed since it happened to my other half.

I remember meeting with the official receiver, detailing posessions, mortgage, earnings etc. It was then handed to a trustee who arranged to pay any creditors you had from what income you had coming in or equity.

Our car was taken and then eventually our house years later because at the time of the bankruptcy we hadnt much equity on it but as house prices rose they chose to take it then. (Laws have changed now and i dont think that happens any more).

We also incurred intrest on all debts too via the trustee and ended up owing 3 times more. One thing i remember from that time is that everyone told us that the Inland Revenue dont mess about and they always get their money back.

I think these days its pretty much done and dusted after a year, hence why the likes of katona declare it more than once and so soon.

It was a horrible horrible time and i would hate to go through it again. Of course had i a 10 million pound worth i would have paid the debts without question. Seeing my partner go through it and the shame he felt was just awful.

So I guess anything she earns now will be used to pay tax man and hopefully put away for the next tax bill.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    I think these days its pretty much done and dusted after a year, hence why the likes of katona declare it more than once and so soon.

When Nigel Farrage entered bankruptcy I seem to remember a BBC News article saying that legally everyone left bankruptcy after a year anyway.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    She's paid it off herself. Someone on twitter was giving her flack about it and she responded saying it was none of their business but she's paid it off. It's no ones business but hers, maybe she wanted to pay it herself rather than rely on her boyfriend, which is fair play.

I hadn't seen her in much before barring the Malteasers ad and maybe something else but I enjoyed her in Sherlock.
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When Nigel Farrage entered bankruptcy I seem to remember a BBC News article saying that legally everyone left bankruptcy after a year anyway.

They do, but the payments you have to make to the OR can stay in place for years.

Basically you have to submit your income and essential outgoings (rent, bills, food, etc.) to the OR. They will then look at how much 'disposable' cash you have after paying the essentials and claim a percentage of it - the more you have left over the higher the percentage will be.

So for Joe Bloggs earning £20k a year, his disposable income per month could be £200, and he would have to pay £100 of that towards his banlruptcy each month.

Of course for a celebrity earning £500k a year their disposable income will be a lot higher, but so will the amount they have left over - even after the OR has taken his cut. Hence why they can then be seen swanning around in designer gear and nice cars after bakruptcy!