Beth Tweddle Twitter abuse during a Q&A session

Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Yesterday Beth was subjected to appalling abuse via Twitter, during what was supposed to be a question and answer session about women in sport.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/01/21/olympian-beth-tweddle-twitter-abuse_n_4638545.html

Something really needs to be done about this. Why are Twitter allowing this to continue? People who send abuse like that for the sake of it should have their accounts suspended. You seem to be able to send the most awful racist, sexist and homophobic abuse to others on Twitter and get away with it but they will ban people for "spamming at the drop of a hat? How is that allowed?

I understand freedom of speech and sometimes discussions get heated on there, but targeting people for no apparent reason is wrong and should be stopped.

Comments

• kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    Some of those tweets are actually pretty funny. People are going to dick around on Twitter, everyone should know that by now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're really not. Calling a woman a **** for giving a perfectly innocent answer to an innocuous question and insulting her personal appearance is not on. I have a twisted sense of humour but none of this raised a smile, it was horrific. Look at the effect Rebecca Adlington's comments had on her & these are far worse.

Hope they all feel like big hilarious men now. Disgusting.
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kippeh wrote: »
    Some of those tweets are actually pretty funny. People are going to dick around on Twitter, everyone should know that by now.

I doubt anyone with a mental age above about 12 would find any of those tweets remotely amusing, each to their own though. It says more about you than it does about me ;-)
  • droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Idiots are idiots. I think it just shows jealousy and insecurity - says everything about the dicks who do it and nothing about the person they target.

Beth is a personal hero for me - should be a dame or CBE in my opinion.
    Forum Member
    The pregnancy and lesbian questions weren't aimed at her personally though, and are pretty funny.
    Forum Member
    I doubt anyone with a mental age above about 12 would find any of those tweets remotely amusing, each to their own though. It says more about you than it does about me ;-)

Yeah, course. It says I have a mental age of about 12 and you're an enlightened, compassionate guy, I get it. Where's that yawn smilie when you need him?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The pregnancy and lesbian questions weren't aimed at her personally though, and are pretty funny.

Insinuating that all female athletes are lesbians, yes that's so hysterical my sides are aching from laughter....

Saying that pregnancy is an injury is misogynistic and offensive. Where does the prat who said that think he came from, the cabbage patch?

If they were not aimed at her, then who were they aimed at?
  • talentedmonkeytalentedmonkey Posts: 2,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Anyone who finds that amusing must have mental health issues.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok, I'm curious. I didn't follow the Q & A, so what was the gist of the presumably intelligent, contextually relevant questions about lesbianism in women's sport?
    Forum Member
    gashead wrote: »
    Ok, I'm curious. I didn't follow the Q & A, so what was the gist of the presumably intelligent, contextually relevant questions about lesbianism in women's sport?

There was no context, it was totally random. Read the article, some of the tweets are on there.
  • Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're really not. Calling a woman a **** for giving a perfectly innocent answer to an innocuous question and insulting her personal appearance is not on. I have a twisted sense of humour but none of this raised a smile, it was horrific. Look at the effect Rebecca Adlington's comments had on her & these are far worse.

Hope they all feel like big hilarious men now. Disgusting.
    And how do you know they are all men ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All the profiles I saw in the slideshow were male (or at least purporting to be). :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And how do you know they are all men ?

There are screen grabs of all of the tweets on the article, they are all youngish men.

That's not to say women don't behave badly on Twitter as well, they often do. But in this case the perpetrators are all male.
    Forum Member
    Insinuating that all female athletes are lesbians, yes that's so hysterical my sides are aching from laughter....

Saying that pregnancy is an injury is misogynistic and offensive. Where does the prat who said that think he came from, the cabbage patch?

It's just a bit of childish humour. I'm sorry you're so offended. You should stay off the internet probably.
  • FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, course. It says I have a mental age of about 12 and you're an enlightened, compassionate guy, I get it. Where's that yawn smilie when you need him?

Honestly, none of those even got me cracking a smile.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In what way are they "pretty funny"?
    Forum Member
    Fizix wrote: »

Good for you.
    Forum Member
    Inkblot wrote: »
    In what way are they "pretty funny"?

I don't know. I have been asking people who ever laughed at Vic Reeves and Bob Mortimer the same question.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was no context, it was totally random. Read the article, some of the tweets are on there.
    Ok, ok. I suppose you had to be there then.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    there is no law against being offensive. neither should there be.

i only signed up to twitter to call Piers Morgan a ****.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fizix wrote: »

Me neither, and I have quite a warped/black sense of humour.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »

That's mature... Maybe you should get out a bit more?
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know. I have been asking people who ever laughed at Vic Reeves and Bob Mortimer the same question.

What on earth have Reeves and Mortimer got to do whether some tweets about sportswomen are funny or not?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not in itself, but there's myriad ways to be offensive. Schoolboy sniggering about lesbians is one thing. Vile personal abuse and death threats is entirely another, and can be or is illegal. You can't lump the two together.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 361
    Forum Member

That depends on whether that offensiveness drifts over to something illegal such as death threats.

I saw a re-tweeted picture "collage" of some of the racist abuse and death threats that Stan Collymore received the other day. It really disappoints me how these keyboard warriors act and I hope that some of them do get charged.