Options

Jack Wilshere: Is he as good as he thinks he is?

soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
Forum Member
✭✭✭
You could almost feel sympathy for the criticism Wilshere has received recently from ex-pros but I must admit that I don't see anything special in him as a player. Contrast where Arsenal team mates Aaron Ramsey and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain are in terms of ability and contribution for their ages, Jack is lagging behind quite a bit.

Wilshere always seems to have a high opinion of himself in the media. Is this justified, is there a better English player for his position at national level and just how good (or not) a player can he develop into?

Comments

• Options
    Grim FandangoGrim Fandango Posts: 4,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's been unlucky with injuries. Easy to forget he's still only 22.

I can't recall ever seeing him put in a performance that blew me away, but then again I'm not an Arsenal fan watching them week in, week out. If he can stay fit and get an extended run in the first team then we'll be better placed to judge him.
  • Options
    TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    You could almost feel sympathy for the criticism Wilshere has received recently from ex-pros but I must admit that I don't see anything special in him as a player. Contrast where Arsenal team mates Aaron Ramsey and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain are in terms of ability and contribution for their ages, Jack is lagging behind quite a bit.

Wilshere always seems to have a high opinion of himself in the media. Is this justified, is there a better English player for his position at national level and just how good (or not) a player can he develop into?

It's a mentality and role thing I think. He clearly has technical ability. Is he a holding player? An attacking midfielder? Something in between? I find it hard to work out what role he's actually doing sometimes.

I don't think he's assertive enough on the pitch and let's others dictate. He had a good game recently for Arsenal when Ramsey was out, as if he realised he had to take some iniative.

As a Liverpool fan, I see similarities in the issues we had with Jordan Henderson. Again, technically he's good but initially at the club he was not quite clear what his role was, lacked assertiveness and let others take on the responsibility. He's now more comfortable with his role, has become much more assertive and confidence is high.

Wilshere should come good but he needs consistency in role and playing time. I think Wenger should stop trying to wedge him into a team with Ramsey, Ozil and Cazorla and Sanchez in it as he's probably better suited to an attacking role in the Ramsey style rather than being the one who holds back a little.

Hodgson won't get the best out of him, that's one thing for sure. If he can't assert himself above Ramsey at Atsenal, maybe he should move on? I think he's wasted otherwise.
  • Options
    satellitesatellite Posts: 8,181
    Forum Member
    soulboy77 wrote: »

Wilshere always seems to have a high opinion of himself in the media.

Does he? Seeing as you're a Spurs fan maybe you're a tad biased.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't he linked with Juve recently? (probably a load of bollocks)

It would be a good for him and potentially very good for England if he went to a side like that and did well.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't he linked with Juve recently? (probably a load of bollocks)

It would be a good for him and potentially very good for England if he went to a side like that and did well.

He wouldn't get in Juve's first team, their midfield is their strongest part of their team.

Scholes was right when he said that since he made his debut, he just hasn't improved all that much.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He wouldn't get in Juve's first team, their midfield is their strongest part of their team.

Scholes was right when he said that since he made his debut, he just hasn't improved all that much.

Yeah, fair enough. I think his moved was linked to any possible exit for Vidal/Pogba.

Re Scholes: His advancement would appear to have been hampered by injury/lack of chances. He's a very young still, he could kick on this season.
  • Options
    The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Messi is not as good as Wiltshire thinks he is.

For me another Joe Cole has the talent and ability but lacks the intelligence and attitude.

People can blame "injuries" and lack of games but the only one stopping him progressing is himself.
  • Options
    ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    How good does Wilshere think he is?
  • Options
    Corkhead.Corkhead. Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    Like many a player or former player at this time, they can all talk a good game and spend far too much time talking to journos. They forget that football is played on football pitches, not on the back pages of tabloids.

Just go out and play football, Jack. If you're good enough it will shine through in the end. If you're not, well, that'll show, too.
  • Options
    007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know what his specific opinion of himself is but mine is he's never been what I consider a good player. I often hear him being self-critical of himself, as if he can do better but I think most of the time, he's doing the best he can and doesn't realise that's it - which makes him average.

For me, I compare his development to that of Ramsey, who has greatly eclipsed him despite being out for a long time. His ability, now, was clear from the start. Where as Wilshere, for me, has always been compared to Joe Cole and it never materialised. Now the media doesn't know his best position. Which is a case of his talent being exceeding too great or not sufficient enough, to merit a place in the team.
  • Options
    homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    Potentially yes, but for me he needs to cut out his attitude and smoking and start to knuckle down.
  • Options
    HaydenHayden Posts: 32,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corkhead. wrote: »
    Like many a player or former player at this time, they can all talk a good game and spend far too much time talking to journos. They forget that football is played on football pitches, not on the back pages of tabloids.

Just go out and play football, Jack. If you're good enough it will shine through in the end. If you're not, well, that'll show, too.

Apologies- I keep misreading your name.
    Wilshere is exceptionally hard working. His team mates and the Arsenal staff have got nothing but good to say about him.
    He's done a couple of daft things, who hasn't, but he comes across as very grounded to me.
  • Options
    FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's Tom Cleverley in disguise.
  • Options
    The_MothThe_Moth Posts: 7,751
    Forum Member
    Hayden wrote: »
    Apologies- I keep misreading your name.
    Wilshere is exceptionally hard working. His team mates and the Arsenal staff have got nothing but good to say about him.
    He's done a couple of daft things, who hasn't, but he comes across as very grounded to me.

Well as far as I can see he's always on the ground!!
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    He looked good a couple of years ago but he's slid backwards a lot. He wouldn't get in my team

He always looks to be carrying too much weight

His diving is way beyond a joke.........he spends more time on the floor than on his feet. I do wonder if his reputation hasn't now got around to the extant that he doesn't get penalties (like the other night) because refs know he's a diver ?
  • Options
    PeePee Posts: 8,154
    Forum Member
    I've NEVER seen what the fuss is about Wilshere, to be honest. One decent game against Barcelona (that somehow got reported as him single-handedly destroying Barca's midfield) doesn't a great/potentially great midfielder make. people excusing him on account of his age don't seem to realise that these arent the 80s and 90s anymore, and players become stars in their very early 20s now, not 26 or 27 anymore, so he's not "only" 22, he's 22, and at 22 hes made little-to-no tangible impression domestically, nevermind European and international level. he has been overtaken by WAY too many other young midfielders who have gone on to firmly establish themselves on the world stage since he was first mentioned, and 22 or no 22 that's the level he should be aiming at if he wants to be taken seriously by anyone, and yet he's nowhere near.
  • Options
    mikeydddmikeyddd Posts: 11,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never really heard him bigging himself up to be honest so the title is a little unfair. The media certainly build him up primarily because he is English. Even since the world cup I heard at least one pundit saying that England should be building their ream around him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We get it. Another Spurs fan doesn't rate Wilshere - I suspect if he was signed by Spurs, their fans would suddenly find the good in Jack Wilshere.

I think the people who rate him see the obvious technical ability and the people who don't just see the fact he hasn't been able to fulfil his potential yet due to injury and the fact Wenger hasn't really found a consistent role for him.

EDIT: yikes, originally quoted the wrong post...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,718
    Forum Member
    I think that Wilshere is more suited to an attacking role, the problem is that at Arsenal there is so many good players in those positions he doesn't get a look in. He then ends up playing in a more defensive role which he's not as suited too.
  • Options
    satellitesatellite Posts: 8,181
    Forum Member
    mikeyddd wrote: »
    I've never really heard him bigging himself up to be honest so the title is a little unfair.

Correct, he doesn't.

This thread was obviously started by a Spurs fan who has nothing better to do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jack1 wrote: »
    I think that Wilshere is more suited to an attacking role, the problem is that at Arsenal there is so many good players in those positions he doesn't get a look in. He then ends up playing in a more defensive role which he's not as suited too.

Precisely. At the moment, literally a Jack of all trades.
  • Options
    O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member
    Wilshere is obviously a good player, I think some were maybe guilty of suggesting he was going to be an outstanding player. Whenever an English player fails to live up to unrealistic expectations they are suddenly rubbish.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What are his best footballing attributes?

As far as I can tell they tend to revolve around his passing, to me he is not someone who will get you lots of goals in a season, nor will he be up there in talking percentage department.

I also don't see in him a person who can play that last and important killer ball to the attackers, so really he is someone who passes the ball to another team-mate; which is not a bad trait to have, but a modern day midfielder, and a top one at that, needs to have more than one string to his bow so to speak.

Until he adapts and can do something else well (say goalscoring like Ramsey) then he will not be amongst the very best players in this league.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TheSloth wrote: »
    We get it. Another Spurs fan doesn't rate Wilshere - I suspect if he was signed by Spurs, their fans would suddenly find the good in Jack Wilshere.
    and yet I rate Aaron Ramsey very highly. where exactly does that fit into your half-baked theory then?

it's kinda stupid to dismiss valid criticism based on nothing more than the critic supporting a rival club.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    satellite wrote: »
    Correct, he doesn't.

This thread was obviously started by a Spurs fan who has nothing better to do.
    and yet he rated Ramsey and Oxlade-Chamberlain in the very same post :rolleyes:
    O'Neill wrote: »
    Wilshere is obviously a good player, I think some were maybe guilty of suggesting he was going to be an outstanding player. Whenever an English player fails to live up to unrealistic expectations they are suddenly rubbish.
    straw man. no-one's calling him rubbish.