McCoy not involved in the 50th.

inspector drakeinspector drake Posts: 910
Forum Member
✭✭
http://bit.ly/12bocTw
Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but I just read on DS news that Sylvester McCoy has not heard anything from the beeb converning the 50th.

Comments

• Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In fairness.......
    Billie Piper has ruled out a return to Doctor Who for the 50th anniversary, claiming that she hasn't even been contacted to take part.

Read more: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s7/doctor-who/news/a448175/billie-piper-rules-out-doctor-who-50th-anniversary-return.html#ixzz2PNc0O4QA
  • inspector drakeinspector drake Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    Very true, but hasn't the 50th special already started filming?
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very true, but hasn't the 50th special already started filming?

Yes, but they are quite clearly managing the release of information on a need to know basis. They filmed what looks like one scene yesterday. Who know what is going on behind closed doors? I just don't think we can rule anyone out based on what they are telling us, because the reality is even if certain people are involved in one way or another they aren't going to say they are until the BBC are good and ready to release information.
  • occyoccy Posts: 64,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He wasn't the best Dr.
  • inspector drakeinspector drake Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    He wasn't the best Dr.
    He is one of my favorites though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    McCoy was great. I'd love to even just he and Sophie in costume in the background- running after some unknown threat on the other side of the street or something, as Matt is talking to someone. Maybe she would shout 'Professor' and Matt might do a sort of double take over his shoulder, but not see them, shrug and then go back to talking? That would make my day :D

They could fit a few past characters/ doctors in that way without having to give up plot and storyline for it.

Maybe at the beginning when the Tardis lands wherever it is Matt could mention 'something is funny - the Tardis didn't want to land here, it's almost as if.... oh well never mind', and just get on with the story. We could then imply that the tardis was a bit 'scared' of the possibility of crossing timestreams or something.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    McCoy was great. I'd love to even just he and Sophie in costume in the background- running after some unknown threat on the other side of the street or something, as Matt is talking to someone. Maybe she would shout 'Professor' and Matt might do a sort of double take over his shoulder, but not see them, shrug and then go back to talking? That would make my day :D

They could fit a few past characters/ doctors in that way without having to give up plot and storyline for it.

A bit like the piece in Maverick when Bret Maverick (Mel Gibson) thinks he recognises a bankrobber (Danny Glover)
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    http://bit.ly/12bocTw
    Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but I just read on DS news that Sylvester McCoy has not heard anything from the beeb converning the 50th.
    Are ANY of the living "Classic Who" actors known to be in the 50th special - or is it just ones from the reboot???

Seems a bit of a pity if the latter!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well we will see ;)
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BKM wrote: »
    Are ANY of the living "Classic Who" actors known to be in the 50th special - or is it just ones from the reboot???

Seems a bit of a pity if the latter!

If it is the latter, why not wait until 2015 for the 10th anniversary of the the re-boot to screen it?

A 50th Anniversary should be just as much about the start and middle of that half century, as it about the last few years of it, and if this is not the case why have it at all?

Mr. Moffat, having a 50th Anniversary episode with Doctors and companions from the last 8 years, but with only the Zygons as the token representative of 26 years of Classic Who really isn't cricket, old chap.
  • jedi mattjedi matt Posts: 1,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is this talk about it been in cinemas mean it will be regular screenings or just at the BFI (British Film Instatute).
  • Chris_TVChris_TV Posts: 4,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it is the latter, why not wait until 2015 for the 10th anniversary of the the re-boot to screen it?

A 50th Anniversary should be just as much about the start and middle of that half century, as it about the last few years of it, and if this is not the case why have it at all?

Mr. Moffat, having a 50th Anniversary episode with Doctors and companions from the last 8 years, but with only the Zygons as the token representative of 26 years of Classic Who really isn't cricket, old chap.

I will be disappointed if people like Davison and McCoy are not involved in the 50th episode. So far the show seems to be celebrating more the last 8 years than of the 50 years it should be recognised for.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The actors who played the Doctor before 'the reboot' are all too old and look completely different now, it would be silly to include them in the 50th anniversary as they are now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so far all they have done is announced the primary reactors (TENNANT OMFg!!!!) reactions to generate full buzz and confirmation they have started....bigger stuff will come....

I mean its not simply "just" Doctor Who of the last 8 years...at the end of the day it is a confirmation and celebration of the show NOW! by taking echoes of its history presenting itself in a story fitting to commemorate a 50 year history and a 50 year future :)

So its not simply...2005 - 2013 celebration like some think....more announcements will happen :)
  • Chris_TVChris_TV Posts: 4,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gee-em wrote: »
    The actors who played the Doctor before 'the reboot' are all too old and look completely different now, it would be silly to include them in the 50th anniversary as they are now.

Well I hope they at least use some archive footage at the very least. ignoring them would be an insult to 50 years.
  • ea91ea91 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have to agree. McGann would be feasible though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Paul McGann doesn't look too old, and he certainly deserves a second TV Doctor Who appearance.

Also, companions like Ian, Polly, Jamie, Zoe, Jo, Leela, Tegan, Peri and Ace could return to represent Classic Who, and the fact they have all aged (considerably in some cases) would be irrelevant, because they are humans not Time Lords.
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    He wasn't the best Dr.

I, for one, disagree :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul McGann doesn't look too old, and he certainly deserves a second TV Doctor Who appearance.

That's true. We only got snippets of McGann's and Eccleston's eras, this would a great opportunity to fill in some blanks. Perhaps even introduce an old companion that we actually never met, but could become a plot point by providing a bit of mystery regarding the Doctor and we all know how much Moffat loves mystery.
  • jedi mattjedi matt Posts: 1,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i would also go for that who's to say how long the Mcgann Doctor lasted off screen so he could appear because his age doesn't matter in cannon really as we never saw him regenerate into Ecclestons incarnation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jedi matt wrote: »
    i would also go for that who's to say how long the Mcgann Doctor lasted off screen so he could appear because his age doesn't matter in cannon really as we never saw him regenerate into Ecclestons incarnation.

Excellent point.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jedi matt wrote: »

For those who believe the spin-off media to be canon and also believe that each Doctor since the Ninth has lied about his age, didn't the Eighth Doctor live for some 600 years (or was it 800) years?

So yes, even though Paul McGann still looks youthful, it really wouldn't matter if he didn't.
  • muntamunta Posts: 18,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

come on... This is sci-fi. Easy to write a scenario where the regeneration doesn't totally replace the doctor but the previous doctor is uploaded to a timelord data bank for future use. And due to the way the data bank works, the doctors age.

That's just one (rather poor) idea but there is nothing to stop something like that being written in to explain it.
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    munta wrote: »
    come on... This is sci-fi. Easy to write a scenario where the regeneration doesn't totally replace the doctor but the previous doctor is uploaded to a timelord data bank for future use. And due to the way the data bank works, the doctors age.

That's just one (rather poor) idea but there is nothing to stop something like that being written in to explain it.

Moffat already wrote something to explain it for Time Crash. Something about shorting out the time differential.
  • muntamunta Posts: 18,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moffat already wrote something to explain it for Time Crash. Something about shorting out the time differential.

Never watch children in need so that explains why I know nothing of that explanation :D