Options

Jorden Henderson should be next captain

13»

Comments

• Options
    OrchideamOrchideam Posts: 5,487
    Forum Member
    Whoever is chosen should already have experience of being a captain at club level at least. It's not just down the the best player, highest profile etc, you need someone who actually has experience of doing the job!
  • Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What job? Making sure they hand over the right little pennant before the game and know the difference between heads and tails? Once again we are obsessing over a complete non issue, rearranging the deckchairs while the ship is sinking.
  • Options
    Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A captain needs to have the respect of his team mates and needs to be a natural leader on and off the pitch. On the pitch, a captain needs to understand the game and have a word if he sees something going wrong or be able to stand up to a referee if his player has been fouled. He also needs to be able to inspire younger players and resolve potential problems off the pitch. It's a very important role if executed correctly.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,966
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I didn't mention a crime or court. I mentioned the video of him punching someone.

A punch that was proven in court to be self defence so don't really see how on earth it is relevant here. If you punched someone in self defence do you think it should impact on you in life?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Henderson shouldn't even be a starter, let alone Captain.
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A punch that was proven in court to be self defence so don't really see how on earth it is relevant here. If you punched someone in self defence do you think it should impact on you in life?

im not quite sure it was quite as you describe
  • Options
    Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RotMojo wrote: »

This made laugh :D I agree.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    codeblue wrote: »
    im not quite sure it was quite as you describe

Which bit did I get wrong?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/5900172/Steven-Gerrard-found-not-guilty.html
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

i believe gerrard admitted to approaching the victim, that he was never under any threat, and delivered three uppercuts (after his friend has previously elbowed the victim).

Isnt that what happened?
  • Options
    TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    Xela M wrote: »

Why? Who should be starting in his place? Did you watch much of him last season? He earned his place in the most recent World Cup and he was no better or worse than most of them. He also never stops working all game, every game, which on this forum would imply that he has "passion" which is more important than goals.
  • Options
    Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i believe gerrard admitted to approaching the victim, that he was never under any threat, and delivered three uppercuts (after his friend has previously elbowed the victim).

Isnt that what happened?

Who knows, and frankly who cares, its ancient history now - The man has RETIRED from international football.

The End.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Who knows, and frankly who cares, its ancient history now - The man has RETIRED from international football.

The End.
    It was more of a reponse to Rooney being described as a thug for having a hair transplant.
  • Options
    DandemDandem Posts: 13,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Xela M wrote: »

Henderson was quite easily the best English central midfielder in the league last year. Maybe some would say Barkley, but they play 2 very different roles, Barkley would be better off behind the striker. The others who actually play Henderson's position? Lampard? Wilshere? Cleverley? Carrick? All rather underwhelming last year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dandem wrote: »
    Henderson was quite easily the best English central midfielder in the league last year. Maybe some would say Barkley, but they play 2 very different roles, Barkley would be better off behind the striker. The others who actually play Henderson's position? Lampard? Wilshere? Cleverley? Carrick? All rather underwhelming last year.

One summer does not a swan make and all that.

Henderson has been distinctly average in every season. An improvement last season hardly justifies him being a regular starter for England.

This season will be the true test for him. The jury is still out.
  • Options
    SuperTed_SuperTed_ Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    One summer does not a swan make and all that.

Henderson has been distinctly average in every season. An improvement last season hardly justifies him being a regular starter for England.

This season will be the true test for him. The jury is still out.

The jury may be out but the fact you describe him as average last season shows you didn't watch him last season.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SuperTed_ wrote: »
    The jury may be out but the fact you describe him as average last season shows you didn't watch him last season.

I concede he had s better than average season last season, i didnt word that correctly. But Liverpool as a whole had a great season....he was still nothing to get excited about.

Like I ssid, if he can keep improving this season then maybe people will take notice. At the moment though....no he shouldnt be a regular starter for England, and the mention of him taking the armband is nothing short of ridiculous.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh captain, my captain!

There's no outstanding candidate which probably means it will go to the most experienced, high profile player who Hodgson sees as a regular starter. I suspect it will be Rooney. I think he's a divisive figure and doesn't have enough fan support to be captain but the alternatives aren't very strong. I'd probably pick Hart myself.

The question is will either Hart or Rooney be first choice for their clubs? If not, then how could either be their national team captain?

Hart has very tough competition from Willy (and he was dropped for a while last season, so it has happened before him being out of the side due to poor form), and Rooney has tough competition from a back to fitness RvP, and other midfielders, if he were to drop back a bit (even more so, if we were to pull of the long talked about signing of Vidal).

So, it might be better of giving it to someone who could be classed as more if a certain starter for their respective club side, then either of the above (unless either do become first choice, then rightly the debate can be had over the two of them claiming to be captain).
  • Options
    Forum Member

Isnt that what happened?

He pleaded self defence and the jury believed him. That's all that matters.
  • Options
    alanrollinsalanrollins Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The question is will either Hart or Rooney be first choice for their clubs? If not, then how could either be their national team captain?

It isn't the question at all.

Therefore the second question is completely irrelevant.
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member

Hart has very tough competition from Willy (and he was dropped for a while last season, so it has happened before him being out of the side due to poor form), and Rooney has tough competition from a back to fitness RvP, and other midfielders, if he were to drop back a bit (even more so, if we were to pull of the long talked about signing of Vidal).

So, it might be better of giving it to someone who could be classed as more if a certain starter for their respective club side, then either of the above (unless either do become first choice, then rightly the debate can be had over the two of them claiming to be captain).

That's true and if that happens then their places in the international set up will be less assured, but the same applies to every player - any of them could easily get squeezed out the picture at their clubs. Especially as we are only part way through the window.

You still need to pick a captain though.
  • Options
    alanrollinsalanrollins Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You may as well not bother speculating on a national team captain then, incase a subsequent transfer results in them losing their place at club level.

Infact we should stop speculating on anything altogether.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member

Well Henderson won't be Liverpool captain whilst Gerrard is playing.
    Cahill won't be Chelsea captain either.
  • Options
    DandemDandem Posts: 13,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Well Henderson won't be Liverpool captain whilst Gerrard is playing.
    Cahill won't be Chelsea captain either.

Henderson is 10 years younger than Gerrard. Gerrard will also find himself not playing as often these days, and with vice-captain Agger benched often too, and 3rd captain Suarez no longer a Liverpool player, someone else will have to take the armband this season. Most fans will probably be wanting it to go to either Henderson or Skrtel.

I wouldn't mind seeing Cahill as captain of England though. I always do like a Centre Back as captain, and Cahill have been playing regularly for England for a while now.