The FA Future Hosting Plans

bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,360
Forum Member
✭✭
We have no chance of hosting a World Cup in England until I would estimate 2030 (I imagine 2026 will be an Americas World Cup).

European Championships 2024 no bid it seems

Now the Womens 2019 World Cup, we have withdrawn from bid.
Interesting France who host the 2016 Mens European Championship still bidding.

Has the FA just given up on hosting International Football? I could guess that with the Cricket World Cup in 2019 it might have possibly been a conflict of times. But if France win the 2019 hosting, cannot see Europe hosting again until 2027. And no interest in Womens Euros, but as we hosted in 2005, 2017 is too close. And really England should not be aiming at hosting this event.

So realistically will football in any form not be coming home until 2027 at the earliest (Womens World Cup).

What football event are we going to bid for next? (I exclude the 2020 pan continental Euro, if Wembley fails to host a match we will know that it is not the FA, but UEFA/FIFA hating The FA).

Comments

• homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    Fifa hate england, so i dont expect the world cup to be here during my lifetime and i'm 33.
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FIFA don't hate England.
  • The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its highly unlikely we would be successful with any bid so I don't see why they should waste money in preparing a bid. The money would be more useful in being spent on grassroots football and getting more coaches their licences.

There are not really enough positives in holding a World Cup to make it worth the hassle
  • rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    celesti wrote: »
    FIFA don't hate England.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/sepp-blatter-said-english-football-1410005

It is unlikely we'll get it any time soon. Shame as Euro 96 was a huge success.
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The_don1 wrote: »
    Its highly unlikely we would be successful with any bid so I don't see why they should waste money in preparing a bid. The money would be more useful in being spent on grassroots football and getting more coaches their licences.

There are not really enough positives in holding a World Cup to make it worth the hassle

But should we host, or aim to host and major Football Finals?
    Of this list of 5

FIFA World Cup
    UEFA European Championship
    FIFA Womens World Cup
    UEFA U21 European Championship
    UEFA Womens European Championship

The first 3 England should look at hosting, the last two should be left to smaller nations.

However the European has had three joint host events, since Euro 96.
    Of the single hosts bid in 2024, Germany and Italy, maybe Italy should host, as it will be 34 years since Italia 90.

Amazing to think that by then it would be 42 years since Spain held a major.

Of course we are only 18 years since Euro 96, maybe we need to accept it is too soon for another Tournament in England.

Good luck to Scotland bidding for Womens Euro 2017.
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They don't hate England, no matter what Seb Coe says about a guy who talks out of his arse at the best of times. If anything 'the FA is run by idiots' is the most sensible thing Blatter's ever said.

It's just the easy answer, much like any time you hear 'if it was an English club' while perpetuating an imaginary vendetta.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But should we host, or aim to host and major Football Finals?
    Of this list of 5

FIFA World Cup
    UEFA European Championship
    FIFA Womens World Cup
    UEFA U21 European Championship
    UEFA Womens European Championship

The first 3 England should look at hosting, the last two should be left to smaller nations.

However the European has had three joint host events, since Euro 96.
    Of the single hosts bid in 2024, Germany and Italy, maybe Italy should host, as it will be 34 years since Italia 90.

Amazing to think that by then it would be 42 years since Spain held a major.

Of course we are only 18 years since Euro 96, maybe we need to accept it is too soon for another Tournament in England.

Good luck to Scotland bidding for Womens Euro 2017.

But its not as easy as should hoist or should we bid.

1) We don't have a FA that is capable of bidding for arranging my next birthday party never mind a major tournament and wont have until we dismantle the entire old dated organisation from the bottom up.

2) the less we have to do with FIFA the better, We have enough problems in English football as it is without getting involved with that lot

3) I don't see the upside in holding any. For example I rather the pitches and grounds was saved for the league, It would cause to much inconvenience before and during for it to be worthwhile IMO. Travel Engineering work takes place at most points during the year, None of this could take place during the tournament meaning a smaller time frame for it to be done though out the year, They cause enough issues as it is
  • PuterkidPuterkid Posts: 9,794
    Forum Member
    Surely Qatar won't be allowed to keep their host date, after being found guilty of corruption:confused: Why is it all so silent on this matter? is no-one to be bought to book?

Anyway, I'd love to see England get the World cup again in my lifetime, I can't understand why it's taking so long!
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member

3) I don't see the upside in holding any. For example I rather the pitches and grounds was saved for the league, It would cause to much inconvenience before and during for it to be worthwhile IMO. Travel Engineering work takes place at most points during the year, None of this could take place during the tournament meaning a smaller time frame for it to be done though out the year, They cause enough issues as it is
    We managed it in 96. Surely stadiums and transport etc. are better now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    We managed it in 96. Surely stadiums and transport etc. are better now.

And what did we gain? Did it progress English football? Did it progress the Premiership?

As far as I am aware we already have engineering works around the start of the league at Euston which will cause issues (when Sky and BT finally get around to being so kind as to tell us when they will be played).

Yes grounds are better now BUT a extra month is still better then a month less no matter how far things have come since 96.

Things have changed in the U.K and in football since 96 some for the better and some for the worst.

Apart from it "being nice" and "fun" what good will it do for the U.K as a nation and what will do it for England as a football team or The Premiership has a football league?
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    The premiership has improved. have no idea if Euro96 helped.

The main point is that we have the stadiums and infastructure. We don't have to build brand new stadiums like other countries do.

Not having to do that may help with the finances. I can't recall off the top of my head but I think SA lost money. Brazil probably has with all the stuff it's had to build and the massive security detail.

Why would France or Germany want to host tournaments? It's just a meaningless bit of fun isn't it.
  • pixel_pixelpixel_pixel Posts: 6,694
    Forum Member
    We should not consider hosting any football tournament until we get the national game sorted first. Start at the ground roots, have a 10 year plan in place and build from there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    The premiership has improved. have no idea if Euro96 helped.

The main point is that we have the stadiums and infastructure. We don't have to build brand new stadiums like other countries do.

Not having to do that may help with the finances. I can't recall off the top of my head but I think SA lost money. Brazil probably has with all the stuff it's had to build and the massive security detail.

Why would France or Germany want to host tournaments? It's just a meaningless bit of fun isn't it.

You travel to football games in France and Germany and will see a massive difference between here and there (getting around Munich even with 0 knowledge was 100% more easier then travelling to places like West Ham and Spurs and Fulham with knowledge of London).

Yes it is a bit of fun but we have bigger and more important issue in English football at the moment and we need to fix those before we start trying to organise a major tournament and look like a bunch of amateurs
  • pixel_pixelpixel_pixel Posts: 6,694
    Forum Member
    We also need to fix the FA. The whole game needs radical rethinking in England. However, I can't see it ever happening.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We also need to fix the FA. The whole game needs radical rethinking in England. However, I can't see it ever happening.

Yep, how much did the last bid cost and how many votes did we get?

Would really anyone here buy anything The FA and England try and sell them?

If yes I have a invisible car here with only one very careful owner
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With France 2016 being the first Euro Championship for 24 Teams, we have to not just think World Cup hosting,
    Maybe the 31 match fornat is off putting.
    But which nations on their own could seriously host a Euro Championship?
    Or should the like of, England, France, Germany, Italy, Russia, Spain or Turkey only ever bid for World Cup?
    Similar views are suggested that certain cities,countries should not bid for the fledgling European Games, and maybe above nations only ever bid for Olympics (and as some can host Winter Games should they bid for Summer Games?).

Could/should European Championships only be combined bids? Holland and Belgium may work, but should Scotland host with Ireland or England? Portugal with Spain?.
  • Assa2Assa2 Posts: 10,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The selection of host cities for the 2020 Euro's will be an interesting indication of how UEFA feel about the FA. Actually it's a double edged sword. Only London and Munich have applied to host the semis and final. It seems extremely unlikely that if Munich won that package UEFA would also vote for Germany to hold the 2024 Euros, and the same for London / England. The FA haven't shown any intention of bidding for 2024 as yet (presumably thinking it's still too soon after 1996) and Turkey or Italy ought to be favourites having been inexplicably over-looked for 2016 & 2020, so really the FA ought to be strongly pushing for the 2020 finals package. Assuming commercial factors will be all important for the final 3 games given the risk associated with the rest of the competition then Wembley ought to edge it over the Allianz Arena. We don't have to wait long as the voting takes place in September.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    re 2024 Will having hosted the 2006 World Cup affect Germany?
    I agree with you Assa2 Italy or Turkey are good shots for 2024.
    By then we could also be having an Olympics in Europe (following Rio and Tokyo). With I imagine 2017 announcement of 2024 Olympics, then 2018 Euro Championship announcement.
    Germany, Italy, Turkey and France are interested in The Olympics.
    Can't see any country getting both.
  • Sabre92Sabre92 Posts: 726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    re 2024 Will having hosted the 2006 World Cup affect Germany?

Ordinarily it probably would but Germany and France have historically always hosted far more tournaments than they deserve so it wouldn't surprise me if they got the nod again.

Not that a Euros in Germany wouldn't be a success, it almost certainly would, but if you consider that since 1990 they've had a World Cup, a Women's World Cup, an under-21 Euros, and two Women's Euros, compared to a Euros and a Women's Euros for England, one Women's Euros for Italy, and sweet FA for Spain and Turkey, to give them Euro 2024 would be going too far in my view.

I personally think 2024 should go to Turkey, they would've had 2016 if Platini hadn't rigged the vote, and 2020 if they hadn't gone for the Olympics instead, so it's their turn if you like.
  • SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sabre92 wrote: »
    Ordinarily it probably would but Germany and France have historically always hosted far more tournaments than they deserve so it wouldn't surprise me if they got the nod again.

Not that a Euros in Germany wouldn't be a success, it almost certainly would, but if you consider that since 1990 they've had a World Cup, a Women's World Cup, an under-21 Euros, and two Women's Euros, compared to a Euros and a Women's Euros for England, one Women's Euros for Italy, and sweet FA for Spain and Turkey, to give them Euro 2024 would be going too far in my view.

I personally think 2024 should go to Turkey, they would've had 2016 if Platini hadn't rigged the vote, and 2020 if they hadn't gone for the Olympics instead, so it's their turn if you like.

The fact that Platini and Beckenbauer are big cheeses within FIFA is why France and Germany get the tournaments.
  • EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    3) I don't see the upside in holding any. For example I rather the pitches and grounds was saved for the league, It would cause to much inconvenience before and during for it to be worthwhile IMO.

I bet you're going to hate the Rugby World Cup next year, as a vast majority of the stadia are football ones.
    Travel Engineering work takes place at most points during the year, None of this could take place during the tournament meaning a smaller time frame for it to be done though out the year, They cause enough issues as it is

If only major events were awarded a number of years in advance, therefore allowing the engineering work to be planned in advance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EStaffs90 wrote: »
    I bet you're going to hate the Rugby World Cup next year, as a vast majority of the stadia are football ones.

If only major events were awarded a number of years in advance, therefore allowing the engineering work to be planned in advance.

Yes of course the engineering works will be planned in advance but it would have to be in a shorter time frame and less spread out.

There will be times when no work will be able to take place so that means it has to be done at a time when it would not be normally done.

The only reasons so far we have seen to hold a world cup or the euro's are "it be nice" or "it be fun".

Will it help the English game in anyway what so ever?

Will we get extra grounds from it (as in many cases in these tournaments?

Does the FA need the added income it might bring in?

Are we suffering from a lack of tourism and would benefit from what it would bring in?

Would the profit gained from it be enough to make the extra effort worthwhile?

Am not against major sporting occasions coming to the U.K (the Olympics gave us some new stadiums and bought new people and money in to sports that otherwise they would miss out on) but I cannot see a football tournament bringing that much to the sport.

An awful lot of expense and hassle for something "that's fun and nice".

If the sport of football was suffering in this country and it needed money pumping into it then yes but it's not and I don't think anyone really thinks one tournament will fix team England's issues
  • blitzben85blitzben85 Posts: 3,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hmm...France 98' - France 16', that's 18 years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blitzben85 wrote: »
    Hmm...France 98' - France 16', that's 18 years.

errr yes :blush:
  • Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Tony Blair was Prime Minister I'm sure England would get the World Cup :p Otherwise England is too naive to deal with FIFA. Beckenbauer and Platini both know how the game is played.

For anyone moaning about the "inconvenience" of staging a World Cup should remember how many people moaned about the 2012 Olympics and what a huge success that turned out to be. England would be the perfect hosts for a major football tournament (men's football please) but won't get it until they find a person cunning enough to be able to come to an understanding with FIFA.