'friend' found guilty of acid attack.

imrightokimrightok Posts: 8,492
Forum Member
I didn't follow this story completely at the time, but I'm sure that there was talk that this poor girl threw acid on herself.

Why would the papers say that? I'm not sure where that story came from, but to put it in print was ridiculous.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2544464/BREAKING-NEWS-Student-21-guilty-throwing-acid-face-friend-disguised-Muslim-veil.html

Comments

• Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    imrightok wrote: »
    I didn't follow this story completely at the time, but I'm sure that there was talk that this poor girl threw acid on herself.

Why would the papers say that? I'm not sure where that story came from, but to put it in print was ridiculous.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2544464/BREAKING-NEWS-Student-21-guilty-throwing-acid-face-friend-disguised-Muslim-veil.html

The "talk" about her doing it to herself came from the "friend" who carried out the attack. That was her defense.

Lets hope she goes to jail for a very, very long time.
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Horriffic injury. That poor girl.
  • imrightokimrightok Posts: 8,492
    Forum Member
    The "talk" about her doing it to herself came from the "friend" who carried out the attack. That was her defense.

They said on the radio that the fact that the girl (naomi) was scarred that will add to the sentence.
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember the thread on here which questioned the possibility of Naomi having done this to herself, following her appearance on This Morning. So her 'friend' not only commits the attack (and was caught on CCTV, following her in a burkha) but plants that particular seed as well? What a thoroughly evil thing to do.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Update.

A woman who threw acid in the face of a friend while wearing a veil as a disguise has been jailed for 12 years.

Naomi Oni, 22, suffered burns to her face and chest in the attack near her home in Dagenham, east London, in December 2012.

Mary Konye, 22, of Canning Town, allegedly attacked Ms Oni because she had called her ugly.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-26680664
  • getzlsgetzls Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I as she was a Niqab to disguise herself during the attack.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rationally, in a world where people are murdered every day, I guess we should not be too shocked at acid attacks, but they do seem particularly evil. They lead to a lifetime's pain and major disfigurement for the victim; sometimes it seems that shooting someone would be less cruel. Thank heavens they are so uncommon in the UK.

http://www.acidviolence.org/index.php/acid-violence/ ASTI help where they can.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member

Agreed, but she really needs putting down like a rabid animal. No normal human being would act in such a way.
  • imrightokimrightok Posts: 8,492
    Forum Member
    I heard someone on the radio reporting on acid attacks in Bangladesh and she said that the victims bottom lip seems to weld to their chest after an attack. Not sure how that happens.
  • LykkieLiLykkieLi Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    Gruesome!
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    BBC wrote:
    Konye's lawyer Sally O'Neill QC told the court she had admitted throwing the acid since her conviction but claims she did not intend to cause injury to Ms Oni's face.

Is this lawyer for real. If you throw acid at somebody, the intention is clear, i.e. to cause injury and disfigurement.

The accused person that has been given a jail sentence is one sick bastard.
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The attacker, Mary Konye, claimed that Naomi Oni wanted the attention and renown that Katie Piper received following her attack and saw her as something of a role model. On those grounds, Naomi Oni allegedly talked Konye into disguising herself in the niqab and performing a seemingly 'random' acid attack. What a sick thing to do- to try and pin the blame on a young woman who was already suffering terribly. Even had that been the case (which it wasn't), no good friend would do such a thing to another. They'd do their best to talk them out of such a crazy idea. Further, Koyne had already expressed her intense jealousy of Oni to other mutual friends and with online threats, which were documented. Naomi Oni's relatives say that when it came to it, even at trial, the person who had the most difficulty accepting that a 'friend' could do such a thing was Naomi herself.