Lockout - 6/10 This was quite a fun sci fi/action movie
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    300 - 8/10
    still looks amazing

300 RISE OF AN EMPIRE - 6/10
    apparently adapted from the second of the graphic novels XERXES, which was disappointing, since it had bugger all to do with him, only a cursory look at how he came about! just simply far too short, five minutes exposition and out he popped FULLY FORMED!!!

at least eva green was crazysexy, and the navel battle scenes were truly epic in scale, but with gigantic logic jumps it's narrative should have been much better!
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    bbclassics wrote: »
    Lockout - 6/10 This was quite a fun sci fi/action movie

I read somewhere that the original idea for Lockout was supposed to be the third "Escape from New York / LA" movie with Snake Plissken. Was re-worked into the film it is now.
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    Apocalypto

Mel Gibson might be a bit of an arse these days, but by God this film is good.
  • Options
    DirtyhippyDirtyhippy Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boyhoood

I'm torn on this one, its undoubtedly a unique film - which tracks a young boy's life of 8 to 18 or thereabouts using the same actors throughout for 10 years.

I really appreciated the intent but ultimately for me the story was quite under whelming, the performances were understated and lacked any real drama - though well acted.

So to mark it as a film not a project I'd say it was 6/10. i don't think this will be remembered for anything but an experiment.
  • Options
    Wee TinkersWee Tinkers Posts: 12,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rocky (1976)

Just put Rocky II (1979) on. Haven't watched a Rocky film since the 80s but i took a notion to have a bit of a Rocky marathon.

Loved the first one. Stallone is so likeable. Or maybe that's just me.

I didn't actually realise he wrote it (and went on to direct too). I suppose i was just a kid and wouldn't have paid any heed to who wrote or directed. I just thought he was the hired brawn, so there you go, you learn something new.
    24 Hour Party People

8/10 Not bad, especially if like me you remember Tony Wilson on Granada, liked lots of the music from Factory Records and went (only once) to the Hacienda.

Steve Coogan was surprisingly good :-)

Oh, i loved this. Have the DVD about somewhere. Must re-watch sometime.
    Looper - 2/10

The scenery was nice. The rest of it was boring and Joseph Gordon-Levitt sounded like he had severe toothache. One of those films you push yourself to watch to the end so you can make a fair judgement of it, but will happily never watch again.

I tried watching - sounded great - but i couldn't push myself to the end. Think i gave up after 30-40 mins.
  • Options
    emmageeringemmageering Posts: 5,167
    Forum Member
    The Aristocats (1970) - 8/10
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jingle All The Way [1996]. Director: Brian Levant

2/10

Awful comedy. Probably Arnie's worst film.

War Horse [2011]. Director: Steven Spielberg

7/10

Episodic equine drama, the scenes on the Somme being the best bits.

Gate of Hell [1953]: Director: Teinosuke Kinugasa

7/10

Colourful & tragic tale of a samurai obsessed with another man's wife. Winner of both the Palme d'Or at Cannes and the Best Foreign Language Film Oscar.
  • Options
    necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Badlands - Terrence Malick's first feature film about a mismatched couple who go on a murdering spree across rural America. It's abut as perfect a film one could make without seeming like there's anything revolutionary going on. An effortless piece of cinema.

8/10

The Thin Red Line - The emergence of mumblecore existential Malick that follows a company of US soldiers who plan to take one of the islands in the Pacific from the Japanese. The film walks a fine line between profoundness and sheer pretentiousness as we get inside the soldiers heads and learn about their fears and their insecurities. But it's just so beautiful to look at. I'd tie it with The Tree of Life as Malick's most ambitious work.

8/10
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interstellar - 9/10. I thought it was brilliant. I'm baffled at how it didn't get more award nominations than it did. I thought Matthew McConaughey and Anne Hathaway were both excellent.
  • Options
    IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    End of Days - 5/10

A bit odd but the effects during the ending were cool. Sorry fellow poster a few posts up, but I prefer Jingle All The Way!

Johnny English: Reborn - 6/10

It was better than I expected it to be. I do think it was possibly too polished for what is supposed to be a comedy and I feel the original had more charm.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paddington (2014)
  • Options
    emmageeringemmageering Posts: 5,167
    Forum Member
    Double Indemnity (1944) - 8/10
  • Options
    necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Johnny English Reborn - I loved the first JE, it was absolutely hysterical. But I don't know if I've just 'grown up' or just the jokes here generally flat but I found this sequel to be disappointing. There were some laugh out loud moments but not enough to save a lifeless sequel.

5/10
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I give The Ark a 4 out of 10 was a little slow and not much happened till the last 15 mins. :D
    Noah was a better film.
  • Options
    pericompericom Posts: 6,025
    Forum Member
    Hunger games mocking jay part 1. 5/10

Medicore. Just like the previous ones.
  • Options
    PercyBysshePercyBysshe Posts: 6,120
    Forum Member
    Offspring: 5/10
    The Woman 7/10
    L'enfant 7/10
    Coherence 6.5/10
    A colt is my passport 6/10
    The call of Cthulhu 5/10
    Sound of my voice 7/10
  • Options
    The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wild Card

Shite.
  • Options
    Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boyhood - started off brilliantly however I thought it overan a lot and by the end it seemed to really disappear up it's own arse 7/10

Before i go to sleep - I actually preferred the film to the book which is unusual . I wasn't sure about Colin firth playing her husband but he surprised me 9/10

The book of Eli - despite the blatant pro - christian propoganda quite a fun film 7/10
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    Looper

Complex, inventive SF/time travel drama that I'll admit lost me at times. A good cast do good work, but its cool, slick handling lacks the element to truly engage. Needed less 'edge' and a more human touch perhaps. 6.5/10

Diary of the Dead

Late entry Romero that mostly covers old ground. There was a good film to be made about a generation that lacks empathy here. Sadly it's more concerned with trite, dated comments about the media and such. Ho hum. There's a sliver or two of the old magic, but some awful acting and CGI gore put the lid on the this dud. 4/10
  • Options
    Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oliver Stone's Talk Radio [1988] - about a US shock jock and the nutters who call him. Reminded me of the good old days before Talk Sport went 'sport' eg Mike Dicken, Whaley etc, also James Stannage on Manc Key 103. Bring back controversy !

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096219/
  • Options
    cathy27cathy27 Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    The Sack wrote: »
    Wild Card

Shite.

Saw this the other week. Absolute rubbish.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD - 6/10
    eco-fairy tail gobblegook :D
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Selma. It was brilliant and woefully ignored by the academy imo.
  • Options
    Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fast Times At Ridgemont High - One of my favourite 80's teens films. Aged pretty well too! And the pool scene is what makes it that extra speical :D
This discussion has been closed.