Options

10 movies you thought were flops, but weren't

2»

Comments

• Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If a film cost $1 million to make, and it brought in $999,900 is it a flop ?
    As far as I knew, if it cost more to make than it made at the box office, then it's not a success.

If a film cost $1M to make and made just $1m then it's a flop. The movie studio will only see around 50-60% of the total revenue as the cinemas take their cut. Then you have Marketing etc.
  • Options
    Kayleigh2010Kayleigh2010 Posts: 1,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't get why so many people have beef with Hook, it's one of my favourite films
  • Options
    Sargeant80Sargeant80 Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its tough to work out if a movie will turn a profit in the end or not.

My understanding is the cinema gets 50% of the ticket price apart from the opening weekend when the studio get more. Add to that a marketing budget that can be 10s of millions and then there's foreign sales, dvd, televison income etc.

Water world was considered one of the biggest box office bombs, but probably came close to breaking even in the end.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    I don't get why so many people have beef with Hook, it's one of my favourite films

I like so much of it. but i :mad: hate, hate, HATE how the lost boys are portrayed.
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    I never even heard of "The Vow" before looking at that list...and since I look at
    the movie listings in the "Irish Times" every week,* it's rare that I don't recognise
    a movie that gets an Irish release.

* Yes, I'm a bit of a movie trainspotter. ;)