Sky versus Virgin - where should I go?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,503
    Forum Member
    I didn't "forget" about it at all. It never even entered my head as it's a completely seperate product not included in the price of either companies basic products.

You simply wanted to include to to make Virgin look even more expensive. Well, okay.

Firstly, you mention Sky+, but that's not HD so is not comparable to the V+.
    Secondly, the current price of SkyHD+ is £150; the current price of V+ £75 :)

Sky+ is included in the basic subscription on Sky, although you are correct that V+ is not.

Sky+ HD is £75 at the moment.
  • markelliottmarkelliott Posts: 3,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't "forget" about it at all. It never even entered my head as it's a completely seperate product not included in the price of either companies basic products.

You simply wanted to include to to make Virgin look even more expensive. Well, okay.

Anyone using a Sky+ box on the basic package (1 mix) has access to the Sky+ features without paying any extra. Sky dropped the £10 p/m fee for Sky+ in July 2007. With the basic on Virgin (TV M) you have to pay an additional £5 p/m on top to use V+.
  • markelliottmarkelliott Posts: 3,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    goomba wrote: »
    Sky+ is included in the basic subscription on Sky, although you are correct that V+ is not.

Oops! You've quoted Carl's post. I think it was my post (45) that you ment to quote with this reply, as I was the one who pointed that out. :)
  • Steven L HunterSteven L Hunter Posts: 10,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bignoise wrote: »
    Is that a challenge? Oh, this is going to get silly. :) OK, how about...

Number of channels received by Sky+: 684

Number of channels received by V+: 265

Yeah but is that 684 quality channels? All I see is very few decent ones compared to what Virgin Media offer :)

If Virgin Media got:

Sky1
    Sky1 HD
    Sky2
    Sky3
    Sky Movies Premiere HD
    Sky Movies Screen 1 HD
    Sky Movies Screen 2 HD
    Sky Sports HD1
    Sky Sports HD2
    Sky Sports HD3
    British Eurosport HD
    FX HD

then it would be a much more competitive market and Virgin would win hands down.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah but is that 684 quality channels? All I see is very few decent ones compared to what Virgin Media offer :)

If Virgin Media got:

Sky1
    Sky1 HD
    Sky2
    Sky3
    Sky Movies Premiere HD
    Sky Movies Screen 1 HD
    Sky Movies Screen 2 HD
    Sky Sports HD1
    Sky Sports HD2
    Sky Sports HD3
    British Eurosport HD
    FX HD

then it would be a much more competitive market and Virgin would win hands down.

Since we switched to Sky in June the only HD Programme on Eurosport was The Olympics, there hasn't been anything else since.

Hardly a quality channel IMO. :D
  • OLD BOYOLD BOY Posts: 2,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you can have a dish put on your wall then id say go for Sky, Virgin are nothing but a terrible service provider, with one of the worst customer service lines EVER and they will try get more and more money out of you by adding costs to your bill that really should not be there, Virgin Media are a nightmare that i hope to leave VERY soon :mad:

Also with Sky you know you have loads of freeview channels for life with them, yet if virgin cut your tv off when they say you not paid something but you really have you dont even have all the channels on freeview.
    Loads more Entertainment on Sky TV. Belive In Better , SKY
    Are you hallucinating or are you a Sky employee worried about his job?

Let me be clear. I have never had a problem with customer services and although some people report differently, they do so on the Sky forums as well.

Secondly, the 'freeview' services are, on the whole, low budget channels, and if that does it for you, well, what can I say?

You are are basing your 'loads more entertainment' on the number of channels Sky provide, which is a ridiculous mistake for you to make. If you are stuck in terms of something to watch after the main channels let you down, you will find a much better choice on 'Video on Demand'!

I am sorry, but yours is a very blinkered response and people who don't know any better should not be taken in by this nonsense.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Virgin Media is just the poor mans Sky, if you can not have dish on wall your stuck with cable which sucks . most virgin media workers need a good slap in the face
    Just proves my point! A very biassed viewpoint from someone with a grudge!

Sky are OK, but Virgin Media, for my purposes, does it for me. My God, you can't even continue to watch the programme you have selected while looking at the TV Guide! How backward is that?:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky+ is directly comparable, as the number of HD channels it receives - none - is almost exactly the same as V+. :D
    Sky does not have VOD HD!
  • howardmickshowardmicks Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    OLD BOY wrote: »

VM DOESNT EITHER,ITS A FLAMING DISGRACE
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,687
    Forum Member
    Is that a challenge?
    Not really. Jusy messing about :p
    And how many of those channel do not require a Sky sub? A large majority, I would guess.
    Also with Sky you know you have loads of freeview channels for life with them...
    And to get those free channels you don't need to go anywhere near Sky, it's not a fair comparison.
    OLD BOY wrote: »
    VM DOESNT EITHER,ITS A FLAMING DISGRACE
    @OLD BOY - Sky doesn't have any true OD at all.
    @howardmicks - Really? You sure? You absolutely sure? Well, you're wrong! For a start there's more than 30 HD movies OD every month. And there's a lot of HD content on their other OD services, including music gigs, etc.

I don't mind people moaning about VM for a geniune reason (and there are enough of them!) but just to make stuff up - and SHOUT it too - is just plain silly.
  • hessy2hessy2 Posts: 1,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stehayn wrote: »
    Since we switched to Sky in June the only HD Programme on Eurosport was The Olympics, there hasn't been anything else since.

Hardly a quality channel IMO. :D

The Tour de France, some boxing shows, and even billiards last week was in "Full HD" on Eurosport HD.
  • underwaterbillyunderwaterbilly Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    I have Sky HD and Virgin (and Freeview).

If you can live without Sky One ,Two and Three and News then there are advantages to both.

Sky has more HD channels but the £10 charge is a ripoff if you dont have movies or sport.

Virgins ace in the hole is the On Demand section.

When my Sky HD screwed up this week on C4 I was able to catch the programme via Virgin OD.

Sky's Anytime service is pretty shit and is generally a waste of hard drive space that I would prefer to use for what I want to record instead of what Sky think I want to watch.

Sky+ is easier to use than V+ and its slicker and faster.

I would rate the customer service for both as equally poor.

This week Sky wanted me to wait over half and hour to talk to an operator.

No thanks.

At least the Virgin call is free if you have the Virgin phone line

However- everytime you ring Virgin CS there is a message about one or more areas of the UK where On Demand is out of action and quite often where the entire tv service is down.
    For that reason alone I would never have Virgin on its own for tv.

If you need HD then its Sky

If you can live without those 4 Sky channels and HD then Virgins 3 for £30 deal is unbeatable.

And you get their On Demand service for free too
    Forum Member
    Is that a challenge? Oh, this is going to get silly. :) OK, how about...

Number of channels received by V+: 265

V+ is £75 fitted

Sky+ is £99 + £60 to install.

The vast majority of the free channels on Sky are worthless non entity channels of little or no value.

I have both services so I'm not biased and the channels that are only on Sky are not worth worrying about

And the material available on Virgins On Demand service outweighs a few crappy channels too .
    Apart from the catchup service there is a huge library of other programmes from the UK and US all for free.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky is better and thats my view, most people who stick up for virgin media prob work for them or try lie to them self cause they can not have dish on wall. Who needs catch up tv when u can Sky+, sky has plenty of decent channels that virgin dont, sky has loads of HD, virgin dont, sky sports active great aswell on sky. gettin sky put in as got rid of virgin tv on friday
    Forum Member
    Sky is better and thats my view, most people who stick up for virgin media prob work for them or try lie to them self cause they can not have dish on wall. Who needs catch up tv when u can Sky+, sky has plenty of decent channels that virgin dont, sky has loads of HD, virgin dont, sky sports active great aswell on sky. gettin sky put in as got rid of virgin tv on friday

I dont work for Virgin and I have 2 dishes on my wall.

Apart from Sky 1-3 what other channels do Sky have that Virgin dont.

Catchup tv is useful when your Sky+ cocks up as has happened twice this week.

Sky's saving grace is HD - however unless you pay an additional £10 all you get extra is C4HD - and unless you have movies or sports the number of HD channels is still small ,especially for £10.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont work for Virgin and I have 2 dishes on my wall.

Apart from Sky 1-3 what other channels do Sky have that Virgin dont.

Catchup tv is useful when your Sky+ cocks up as has happened twice this week.

Sky's saving grace is HD - however unless you pay an additional £10 all you get extra is C4HD - and unless you have movies or sports the number of HD channels is still small ,especially for £10.

Virgins on demand messes up and freeze alot. U just have to look on skys channel. People can like which they want, but for me its sky, people also that i know who had virgin but left for sky say its best move they made. But hey each to there own. If people happy with virgin then good for them, i just did not like there tv
    Forum Member
    Virgins on demand messes up and freeze alot. U just have to look on skys channel. People can like which they want, but for me its sky, people also that i know who had virgin but left for sky say its best move they made. But hey each to there own. If people happy with virgin then good for them, i just did not like there tv

I've not had major problems with Virgin On Demand but when it does go wrong at least you can try again.

When Sky+ messes up - thats it - programme lost- unless you happen to notice in time to catch the +1 broadcast
  • tvtimestvtimes Posts: 9,276
    Forum Member

There has been more than enough members on here saying the exact reverse. They have left Sky and gone to VM and are happy they made the move too.
    My word you have to be the worst offender on here for anti and pro statements. Plus a lot of it i find unreadable.
  • tvtimestvtimes Posts: 9,276
    Forum Member
    Sky is better and thats my view, most people who stick up for virgin media prob work for them or try lie to them self cause they can not have dish on wall.

ROFL LMAO :D So by your logic anyone that is happy with their services and decides to post on here (on a public forum) is staff but anyone who is pro sky aren't Sky staff? :rolleyes: That is such a narrowed view of these forums it really is. People like myself are happy with their services and decide to share our experiences just like their are people like yourself that are unhappy. You're never going to get people that agree on things entirely and this is what these forums are for, healthy debate.
  • KeiDylKeiDyl Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    its about time we stopped camparing sky+ with V+, even sky went to the ASA as they said V+ is a different type of stb compared to the sky+ and as far as im aware they said it should be compared to sky+ hd ( please correct me if im wrong)

the V+ is a great piece of kit and should always be compared to the sky+ HD stb,(which is just as good imo ) the only thing that lets the V+ down is the HD content avaiable but that is a differnt thread:rolleyes:

i used to enjoy coming onto this forum and almot always enjoyed differnt ppls views but lately it has gotten dire at the amount of moaning and sniping at other forum users just for having an opinion. we are entitled to our own opinions but not at the expense of common decency and also just to wind ppl up.
  • KeiDylKeiDyl Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    oopps sorry just reread my post and i apologise for my spelling mistakes
  • Steven L HunterSteven L Hunter Posts: 10,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They both have their good and bad its just basically what your after in my situation i like Virgin but sky offers the conent I like watching thats why I moved over recently but both have their good and bad points.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    Has anyone got any update on current opinions of whether to choose Sky or Virgin?

I've just read this article http://www.chooseisp.co.uk/broadband-guide/.../sky-or-virgin-media.html which says Virgin is better, unless you want HD basically and then to go for Sky.

I'm not sure I want HD, is it worth it for the extra £10 a month? I know Sky are currently offering the HD Sky+ box free if you sign up, which is tempting.

I've got a 1080p TV which gets no real 'HD' use. Has anyone got Sky HD and would they recommend it? Or is it just a waste of money?
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone got any update on current opinions of whether to choose Sky or Virgin?

I've just read this article http://www.chooseisp.co.uk/broadband-guide/.../sky-or-virgin-media.html which says Virgin is better, unless you want HD basically and then to go for Sky.

I'm not sure I want HD, is it worth it for the extra £10 a month? I know Sky are currently offering the HD Sky+ box free if you sign up, which is tempting.

I've got a 1080p TV which gets no real 'HD' use. Has anyone got Sky HD and would they recommend it? Or is it just a waste of money?

Only you can decide weather sky HD is worth £10 a month why bump up a 18 month old thread ?

The best place to ask has anyone got sky HD surely is the satellite forums,not a thread well past its sell by date on a cable forum.

You must have been really trawling through to drag this one up.:confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    Sorry richard... it came up on Google... I'll go and ask in Sky!