Adele: Golden Globes. Really Adele, just popped out...knees up mother brown!!!

Comments

• whatever54whatever54 Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    congratulations Adele, seems a nice down to earth girl. Taylor Swift's face was a picture. When I think of her competition she seems so much more classy. Doesn't post her every move on twitter, write silly open letters, constantly seek attention. I like Adele lots knocks spots off the others IMO (except Paloma I like her, she's good too)
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're absolutely right. For a genuine cockney accent they need look no further than Dick van Dyke's "Bert" in Mary Poppins.

:rolleyes:
  • BungitinBungitin Posts: 5,356
    Forum Member
    Sorry I don't understand the OP's post.

It must be the accent it has been typed in.

:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 336
    Forum Member
    Adele is a major credit to this country. So the OP doesn't like her accent..whoopy-do! Not many celebrities manage to keep their private lives private, leave her be. She's proud of her roots and so she should be :) Keep it up Adele!!
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,010
    Forum Member
    Is it Jon Richardson who said she sounds like she's singing about "Scaffold" ?

:D It was! I thought that was funny - I still can't listen to the song without hearing Scaffold instead of Skyfall.
    Forum Member
    You're absolutely right. For a genuine cockney accent they need look no further than Dick van Dyke's "Bert" in Mary Poppins.

And for a genuine Manchester accent they need look no further than Jane Leeves in Frasier. :D I suppose Van Dyke had an excuse for his 'somewhat lacking' Cockney accent. Not sure what excuse Jane Leeves has as she's English.
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    And for a genuine Manchester accent they need look no further than Jane Leeves in Frasier. :D I suppose Van Dyke had an excuse for his 'somewhat lacking' Cockney accent. Not sure what excuse Jane Leeves has as she's English.

Isn't she from Surrey though? :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to live with a girl who grew up down the road from Adele an she talked exactly the same.
    Forum Member
    konebyvax wrote: »
    Isn't she from Surrey though? :D

She is certainly from down south - but why didn't she just suggest that her character speak with a London or southern accent - instead of putting on the appalling accent she does? Her Manchester accent is without doubt the WORST accent ever on TV or film (yes - even worse thank Dickie's Cockney accent).
  • marobbymarobby Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    everone knows it's muvvah brahn
  • KalmiaKalmia Posts: 493
    Forum Member
    She's a singer, not a narrator or voice actor. Who cares what her speaking voice is like? I'm not a fan of Adele or her music but she's done so well all over the world. Criticising her accent seems such a pointless thing to do.
  • wildholliewildhollie Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bergy87 wrote: »
    Adele is a major credit to this country. So the OP doesn't like her accent..whoopy-do! Not many celebrities manage to keep their private lives private, leave her be. She's proud of her roots and so she should be :) Keep it up Adele!!

Totally agree, why do people feel the need to put down other people like this, and for such a pathetic reason too ? :confused:

She has immense talent and doesn't feel the need to parade her private life all over the papers/media like some other so called celebs....!! :)
  • j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    dezire wrote: »
    I'm glad I wasn't the only one cringing! She sounded like a market stall holder flogging a pound of apples!

I like Adele but she does have an embarrassing awful speaking voice.
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found her speech refreshing and honest. If she "put up a voice" I would have lost respect for her.
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CBFreak wrote: »
    I found her speech refreshing and honest. If she "put up a voice" I would have lost respect for her.

And you can only imagine the amount of posts there'd be bringing her down if she did that instead!
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And you can only imagine the amount of posts there'd be bringing her down if she did that instead!

Yikes I'm scared just thinking about that possibility. :eek:
  • Betty BritainBetty Britain Posts: 13,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    able1 wrote: »
    She doesn't sound that cultured.

She doesn't need to sound cultured ( does that mean posh?) she is a very talented music writer and singer and I love the fact she hasn't gone all FAKE and posh to please others..she has stayed true to her roots and herself
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Nothing wrong with a regional/London accent [especially as one doesn't speak in dulcet tones, oneself :D]. But.... in my very humble pleb-like opinion, Ms Adele overdoes it a bit. No disrespect otherwise implied ;)

I'm with you on this one. Her speech was lovely but she overeggs the pudding, so to speak.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dezire wrote: »
    Do people still actually talk like that in London? Can she not talk with a little effort to sound better? I feel embarrassed that the rest of the world thinks we all talk like that from London.

Oh, and we really believe you just happened to pop out with a mate and end up at the Golden Globes with an award in your hand.

`i`m sure some might find your accent an embarrassment tbh
    just like this thread
  • Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm with you on this one. Her speech was lovely but she overeggs the pudding, so to speak.

I agree;)
  • LilaethLilaeth Posts: 750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone got a link to the Taylor Swift 'face'??

If that's the way Adele speaks, then that's the way she speaks. Actually, she speaks like my mate Terry, and he's from Norf Lahndan. But think of the sh*t she'd be getting if she'd tried adopting a different accent?
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    Lilaeth wrote: »
    Anyone got a link to the Taylor Swift 'face'??

If that's the way Adele speaks, then that's the way she speaks. Actually, she speaks like my mate Terry, and he's from Norf Lahndan. But think of the sh*t she'd be getting if she'd tried adopting a different accent?

http://img.perezhilton.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/2ewcp4p.gif

One 'indulged', sore loser right there :D
  • LilaethLilaeth Posts: 750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hahahahahaha! Excellent! There's something about Ms Swift that I don't like. That just sums it up!
  • whatever54whatever54 Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    konebyvax wrote: »

I love it, the wry smile but seething inside. Moments like this are my fave bit of these award shows
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got one word to say to adele .......... "Duffy."