How much is your water/electricity/gas and council tax per month?

2»

Comments

• twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's very much dependent upon Postcode, so asking nearby family and friends will be of much more help to you than random strangers based all over the UK.

I would agree on postcodes but for utility you need to ask people in same size flat as yourself.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    1 person, 2-bed, terraced house.

Gas/electricity £50 (I'm quite mean, and just pay for what I've used after I've used it)
    Water £16 (single-person discount)
    CT £122 (Band E, with spd)

Then there's phone/internet, TV licence.

But don't be put off. A shared house for instance will be much cheaper. I tend avoid paying monthly when I can, and pay in lump sums, as I prefer to think that is dealt with, and enjoy the occasional bill 'holidays', such as tiny gas bills in the summer. And whenever I have set up a direct debit, the company constantly recalculates the payment based on the most expensive month and I end up in credit to them (so they get interest on your money and you don't). Drives me insane.
  • SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    twingle wrote: »
    I would agree on postcodes but for utility you need to ask people in same size flat as yourself.
    Often people have a good idea (from talking to friends/family) of typical utility bill costs for various property sizes in their area, not just properties that are the same size as their own. So that doesn't necessarily have to be the case - but obviously it helps. :)
  • mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Water is about 5 pounds a month
    Electricity is 10-15 a month
    Rates (council tax) is about 320 a year minus the water/sewage charge making it about 24 pounds a month.
  • Hut27Hut27 Posts: 1,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two of us,OAPs, Electric £35, Council Tax band C £133.94 (10 mths), Water Metered supply £7.35, Sewage,£6. No Gas in village. Oil Heating, 12/ to 1500 litres a year@ 50/60pence per litre. May have used more Oil this winter than we have over the last 20yrs. All except Oil is paid monthly Direct Debit.
    Water + sewage is low as we have our own borehole which is used to water the garden.
  • evie71evie71 Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't believe how little people pay for water. Breaking it down monthly, I pay £60 per month for water and sewage.:confused:
  • mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    evie71 wrote: »
    Can't believe how little people pay for water. Breaking it down monthly, I pay £60 per month for water and sewage.:confused:

Depends a lot on where you live, my rates bill (council tax in GB) includes water and sewage @ around 320 a year but that is because the water and sewage are U.K government owned which seems to make the services a lot cheaper than those supplied by private companies, my council provides and excellent refuge collection, recycling and street cleaning service which I think is very good value for the amount I pay.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One bedroom terraced house with one person:

Water: £16'ish a month (about £200 a year, which I always pay in one go)

Electric/Heating*: £70 a month in winter, £30 a month in Summer

Council Tax: £75 a month

* I have no gas. My heating is provided by electric storage heaters and the water is done by immersion.
  • cyber_davcyber_dav Posts: 1,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    evie71 wrote: »

I agree!
    .. £56 per month for me!

£53 per month gas, £89 per month elec, council tax £133.
  • frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    It's surprising to me too about the water/council tax!

We are 2adults 2kids in a tiny terraced 2up 2down and pay £2068 a year (£206 pcm) on council tax. Small houses like ours cost about £160k to buy at the mo.

We've just gone onto a water meter and our bill has doubled and we're paying approx £60 a month.:eek:

Our electric is £46 a month. Gas is £80 a month during winter.

I know we're in the "affluent" SE but it's an eye opener to see how much less people pay elsewhere.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

We are 2adults 2kids in a tiny terraced 2up 2down and pay £2068 a year (£206 pcm) on council tax. Small houses like ours cost about £160k to buy at the mo.

We've just gone onto a water meter and our bill has doubled and we're paying approx £60 a month.:eek:

I know we're in the "affluent" SE but it's an eye opener to see how much less people pay elsewhere.

I'm in the South East too (Buckinghamshire don'tcha know :p) but only pay £16 a month water and £75 a month council tax. But then again I'm a single person and only have a 1 bedroom house.

It's more to do with the size of your property than where you are actually located.
  • frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    I'm in the South East too (Buckinghamshire don'tcha know :p) but only pay £16 a month water and £75 a month council tax. But then again I'm a single person and only have a 1 bedroom house.

It's more to do with the size of your property than where you are actually located.

It's not really size that matters :o

It's to do with how much your property is worth. How much is a 2up2down terrace in your neck of the woods? Is it the same as mine? And does it pay the same in CT?
  • wavy-davywavy-davy Posts: 7,122
    Forum Member
    Water without a meter = £390

Water with a meter = £170
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    2 adults, a dog and a cat, 1.5 terraced house, single glazed, London zone 2:

Council Tax: £122pcm
    Water: £17pcm
    Gas/Elecs: We've just moved, don't have a bill yet but I expect the bills to be quite high as I like to keep warm. I expect at least £60 a month during summer, perhaps even £100 during winter.
  • mellybumpsmellybumps Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    Water = £28pm
    Gas = not sure, probably about £50pm
    Electric = £50pm (prepay meter)
    Council tax = £1400 per year (joys of the SE of England)

2 adults living in a 3 bed semi, four kids here at weekends and half the holidays
  • mizhogmizhog Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    deleted
  • kirstiemcnabbkirstiemcnabb Posts: 457
    Forum Member
    3 Adults includes Myself and my two daughters who are both students
    Electric £42 a mth
    Wood Burner logs over year £90
    Water (not on meter) have two bills split for sewage and supply £8 a mth for 8 months and £20 a mth for 10 months
    Council Tax with 25% off as my student daughters are exempt £90 a mth for 10 months
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two adults in UK:

CT - £143 PCM
    Water £22 PCM
    Gas/elec - £110 PCM

Two adults in KSA:
    Elec/water/maintenance/wifi - £42 per QUARTER. Paid from tax free earnings. Result.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mellybumps wrote: »
    Water = £28pm
    Gas = not sure, probably about £50pm
    Electric = £50pm (prepay meter)
    Council tax = £1400 per year (joys of the SE of England)

2 adults living in a 3 bed semi, four kids here at weekends and half the holidays

BIB - I paid a bit more than that on a three bed semi in the East Midlands!
  • thecharmingmanthecharmingman Posts: 1,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MarzBar85 wrote: »
    I was thinking that, but then we seem to be paying through the nose for water rates...Are you on a meter for water?

Yes I am.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1 bed flat, 1 person, economy 7, no gas, electric water heater and storage heating:

£~96/10 months Council tax including discount (can't remember exactly but it's roughly 100)
    £30 Electricity/month but I got a bill the other day for £120 so it's gone up to £50/month
    £20 Water/month (metered)
    £26 landline and broadband
    £11 mobile contract
    £35 maintenence charge for upkeep of gardens etc, includes mandatory buildings insurance

...and I think that's about it unless there is something I've forgotten (excluding mortgage ofc). I don't do Sky/cable TV and I pay for what I can upfront like TV licence, car insurance and contents insurance.

I thought my leccy usage was high so I worked it out and if I've done it right, I'm using about 300 watts per hour outside of economy 7 (I ignored that, because you need heating and hot water). I think that must be down to having a dehumidifier running almost 24/7.
  • evie71evie71 Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm also in the SE and we pay approx each month £160 CT, £60 elec, £60 water and sewage, £100 oil heating/water. I know we pay a premium for living in the country, but this thread has been an eye opener.:eek: