Comments

• anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    This kid always looks so sad.
  • DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    we never turned up! :(

This might have had something to do with it: Nicklas Backstrom stopped from playing just hours before due to positive drug test. >:(
  • The NetThe Net Posts: 5,494
    Forum Member
    A friend has just got back from Sochi, having been working on hospitality for Visa. She said despite a difficult first day or two it went really well. A lot of the hotels hadn't been finished properly although hers was fine. A lot of the media were in these problematic hotels.

Transportation was excellent and at times half empty. It seems there were plenty of empty seats at many of the events - not shown on tv. The atmosphere around the park was ok but again quieter in numbers than she expected. Security tight but no different to other games.
  • Steveaki13Steveaki13 Posts: 655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thoroughly enjoyed the Games. Great action and banter on here.

Thanks to the guys who posted the schedules and TV guides.

Very helpful. :)

Nice chatting to you all over the games. :( Time to go our separate ways. :cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    This guy in the superhero costume. Brilliant. :D:D
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watching ice dance highlights...
  • Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,273
    Forum Member
    Javier is amazing! :D
  • JanielovesyouJanielovesyou Posts: 814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lettice wrote: »
    Cheers,
    Seth has done ice hockey commentary before I think, I'm sure I recognise his voice and style. Not heard the name before though or it didn't stick.
    Wow! Brent, I've met him a few times, many years ago. Hes a nice guy.
    It is great commentary, compared to some of the poor stuff we have had on other sports this olympics.

Seth does the sports desks on Radio 5 . Excellent presenter
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC's montage, essentially saying "who cares about Russia's human rights? *shows some footage*. The olympics came and all was right in Russia xoxox".
  • Psycho_NedPsycho_Ned Posts: 17,734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Think the first time I heard Seth Bennett was on the London 2012 video game lol! Hear his voice on the radio and TV a lot more now though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In some ways Jenny Jones's bronze medal seems like a lifetime ago!
  • big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brb wrote: »
    BBC's montage, essentially saying "who cares about Russia's human rights? *shows some footage*. The olympics came and all was right in Russia xoxox".

And quite right they are. Olympics have got nothing to do with politics and despite all our fears, it hasn't been.

Russia have done a good job IMO.

Edit: Javier was brilliant!!
  • StuntyStunty Posts: 45,688
    Forum Member
    Sochi has done the Olympics proud, whatever the politics and the inevitable reservations beforehand ........ sport will always somehow transcend politics.

Thanks Russia ........ again when a City has to deliver a great Games, they inevitably do so. How will the next Olympic City match this? ..... they will, they always do. ;-)

Brazil and South Korea, it's over to you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stunty wrote: »
    Sochi has done the Olympics proud, whatever the politics and the inevitable reservations beforehand ........ sport will always somehow transcend politics.

Thanks Russia ........ again when a City has to deliver a great Games, they inevitably do so. How will the next Olympic City match this? ..... they will, they always do. ;-)

Brazil and South Korea, it's over to you.
    Once the World Cup is out of the way we'll get 2 years of 'the venues in Rio are never gonna be finished' stories and in the end they will be just about!

I'd expect better from Korea they'll be on the ball getting things ready.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    brb wrote: »

Yes it's funny how all that's conveniently forgotten about
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And quite right they are. Olympics have got nothing to do with politics and despite all our fears, it hasn't been.

Russia have done a good job IMO.

Edit: Javier was brilliant!!

You missed the point. They are pretending - implying even, that the Olympics has made a difference and that Russia is all of a sudden an amazing place. The BBC are the ones who brought their human rights into it by their footage.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bloody short track, shown itself to be a Mickey Mouse event in this games. How can a group of judges decide the results without any recourse for appeal?
    Forum Member
    Psycho_Ned wrote: »
    Once the World Cup is out of the way we'll get 2 years of 'the venues in Rio are never gonna be finished' stories and in the end they will be just about!

I'd expect better from Korea they'll be on the ball getting things ready.

Brazil will have an excellent precursor in the World Cup, at least some of the venues, hotels etc will be in place in Rio. We won't be seeing any of the destitute population or their dire living conditions though. :(

The IOC, and also FIFA, want to tread new ground in this modern era, however sometimes the ethics of choosing a host city is not always all it seems.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The IOC, and also FIFA, want to tread new ground in this modern era, however sometimes the ethics of choosing a host city is not always all it seems.
    Qatar 2022 anyone? :p nobody outside of the fifa blokes with their brown envelopes and the Qataris believes that was the right decision.

The IOC has had it's own fair share of corruption but I think they are better than they were. Tokyo 2020 will be a good games.
    Forum Member
    Bloody short track, shown itself to be a Mickey Mouse event in this games. How can a group of judges decide the results without any recourse for appeal?

It is a ridiculous event, and has been ever since its trial event days.

Unless they allow for a bit of argy bargy, and competitors are not arbitrarily dq'd it will always appear as a bit of a lottery and not a proper Olympic sport.

Ok so there is always a bit of luck, but not luck that they stay on their skates, or luck that they are not penalised by some suited skates pressing their buttons and altering the result at their own leisure, with no recourse to appeal.

IMO the Chinese lady who knocked out Elise in the last race may have done so in order that her team mate behind her qualified for the final??? She had no chance of catching Elise so why not take her out! :blush: Anyone know if that same Chinese lady won the final ...... I was too outraged to even bother to watch the rest of the 'action' or as we may call it the 'refereeing'.
    Forum Member
    Qatar 2022 anyone? :p nobody outside of the fifa blokes with their brown envelopes and the Qataris believes that was the right decision.

The IOC has had it's own fair share of corruption but I think they are better than they were. Tokyo 2020 will be a good games.

Qatar 2022 is the main, and most ridiculous decision ever made, but made with $$££ signs in their eyes rather than sense between their ears.

Hold the competition in June/July and there will be casualties, it is far too hot to ask sportsmen to play in such heat and humidity.
    Forum Member
    Thought the Closing Ceremony started at 4pm?
  • SuzeSuze Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I'm a bit tipsy. My friends just left - we got together to watch the gold medal hockey and share a few drinks. So proud of the Canadian men's team -- they got better and better with each game. :):)

Thanks to the regular posters here -- it's been fun to have people to share my obsession with and I appreciate your patience with my support for Canada! See you all in 4 years!!!
  • Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,273
    Forum Member

20:14pm Sochi local time. (16:14pm our time).
  • Steveaki13Steveaki13 Posts: 655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Didn't I see the close ceremony was actually earlier in the day? But BBC showing it delayed.