Mrs Brown's Boys

Comments

• grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only thing I didn't enjoy about last night's prog was them singing Auld Lang Syne at the end. Considering it's filmed in Scotland, you'd think they'd have got the words right. There's no "THE SAKE OF" in the song! It's "FOR AULD LANG SYNE" (pronounced with an "S" and not a "Z")
  • holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes some excellent comedic moments. Loved it. :D
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    The only thing I didn't enjoy about last night's prog was them singing Auld Lang Syne at the end. Considering it's filmed in Scotland, you'd think they'd have got the words right. There's no "THE SAKE OF" in the song! It's "FOR AULD LANG SYNE" (pronounced with an "S" and not a "Z")

I remember reading that most people outside Scotland don't actually know the full and proper lyrics of the song and often get them jumbled up (I'm sure I've often heard people sing "for the sake of" when singing it).
  • jak frostjak frost Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    lealeeds wrote: »
    Come on then killjoys, bring on the comments

It's unfunny. Utterly unfunny.
  • petebluepeteblue Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    jak frost wrote: »
    It's unfunny. Utterly unfunny.

Compared to some so called comedy on tv like Miranda, MBB is comedy gold, all she does to try and get laughs is fall over.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    8.71m viewers on BBC One.
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am one of those rare males who doesn't find farting funny so this is why I didn't think it was the best episode but it's all about personal taste.

I can watch the repeats and still laugh heartily of series 1 but not every episode can be the best I personally have not liked the previous Christmas episodes as much as the series ones.

It is good to see so many people do enjoy the show and can have 30 minutes away from life's troubles.
  • jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We borrowed Mrs Brown's Boys Live Tour - Mrs Brown Rides Again DVD and watched it last night.
    Although there were some of the sketches they have done on TV seeing it live was hilarious.
    Might even watch it again tonight looking at the rubbish on TV today.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems Mrs Brown's Boys will return for a fourth series at some point in 2015 according to Gary Hollywood (Dino). There will be another Christmas and New Year special at the end of this year though.
  • ONeillDigSpyONeillDigSpy Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    I was bored last night and watched an episode of the original series from the early 2000's, it was better than the recent series, it wasn't confined to 2 rooms and it didn't try too hard to be funny. It was confusing though, there was some cast swaps and Mrs Brown had 2 extra sons.
  • laineythenomadlaineythenomad Posts: 3,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    This is just about the in funniest prog on tv. All the swearing is boring too.

"in funniest"? I bet you think all of us who like it are thick. Where's the rolleyes smiley when you need it?
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was bored last night and watched an episode of the original series from the early 2000's, it was better than the recent series, it wasn't confined to 2 rooms and it didn't try too hard to be funny. It was confusing though, there was some cast swaps and Mrs Brown had 2 extra sons.
    If you found that confusing, you should see the 1999 film "Agnes Browne", directed by and starring Angelica Houston as Mrs Browne (with an 'e'), Brendan O'Carroll as a local drunkard and Jennifer (Brendan's wife who plays his daughter Cathy in the TV series) as Winnie. Agnes's best friend is called Marion as well, who appears to have been changed for Winnie for the TV show. Mrs Brown also has 7 children, not 6 as in the TV show or 8 as in the stage show. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They were made for DVD episodes and based on the stage show....they were never shown on TV anywhere.

I don't think they're as good as the BBC series myself. They're rather slow moving and have no studio audience.
  • ONeillDigSpyONeillDigSpy Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    some shots in it wouldn't have passed the broadcast technical assessments anyway as there was a lot of visual errors, e.g. a stock shot of the house had serious moire/bluring effect on the tiles of the roof, i assume they never had plans to get it on tv, just straight to dvd
  • doe_a_deerdoe_a_deer Posts: 2,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A couple of points:

1. When I/people in general watch a sport or a band or any person of talent in any particular field, in this case comedy, it is because we are admiring their level of talent/genius and thinking 'Wow, there's no way I could do that.' When I watch Mrs Brown's Boys this isn't the case. I think I very much could write episodes of this show as there is no hint of talent or genius in the writing whatsoever. Shows like this shouldn't even make it to TV let alone be enjoyed by so many millions of viewers.

2. When something grows/changes/evolves, in a gradual way, it often goes unspotted. I hadn't really noticed the extent to which comedy has evolved in recent years until I saw Mrs Brown's Boys which is a throwback to a style of comedy which is now very outdated. Comedy has become much more sophisticated and clever than this type of simple gag and basic smut-based humour. I could list fifty shows as examples but off the top of my head The Royle Family, The Office, Peep Show, The Thick of It. All examples of sophisticated, clever, perfectly observed humour and where comedy has to be nowadays.

The one positive in Mrs Brown's Boys is the way they break the fourth wall and leave in apparent outtakes. These are quite clever concepts which they have done well and could have been the basis for a great sitcom but sadly they chose to waste those good ideas on this horror show of a sitcom.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doe_a_deer wrote: »
    A couple of points:

1. When I/people in general watch a sport or a band or any person of talent in any particular field, in this case comedy, it is because we are admiring their level of talent/genius and thinking 'Wow, there's no way I could do that.' When I watch Mrs Brown's Boys this isn't the case. I think I very much could write episodes of this show as there is no hint of talent or genius in the writing whatsoever. Shows like this shouldn't even make it to TV let alone be enjoyed by so many millions of viewers.

2. When something grows/changes/evolves, in a gradual way, it often goes unspotted. I hadn't really noticed the extent to which comedy has evolved in recent years until I saw Mrs Brown's Boys which is a throwback to a style of comedy which is now very outdated. Comedy has become much more sophisticated and clever than this type of simple gag and basic smut-based humour. I could list fifty shows as examples but off the top of my head The Royle Family, The Office, Peep Show, The Thick of It. All examples of sophisticated, clever, perfectly observed humour and where comedy has to be nowadays.

The one positive in Mrs Brown's Boys is the way they break the fourth wall and leave in apparent outtakes. These are quite clever concepts which they have done well and could have been the basis for a great sitcom but sadly they chose to waste those good ideas on this horror show of a sitcom.

I don't get why you say comedy has now become for sophisticated, and Mrs Brown is out dated, so who is the new comedy? Mrs Brown, on the so called intellectual channel of the Beeb gets 9m viewers. This is the case of some people telling others what they should watch. Luck then that the Beeb take no notice, so millions viewers can all enjoy this so called old type comedy,
    And as your first point, that it should not be show, and enjoyed by viewers, what gives you the right to tell me what I can enjoy.
  • laineythenomadlaineythenomad Posts: 3,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    myscimitar wrote: »
    I don't get why you say comedy has now become for sophisticated, and Mrs Brown is out dated, so who is the new comedy? Mrs Brown, on the so called intellectual channel of the Beeb gets 9m viewers. This is the case of some people telling others what they should watch. Luck then that the Beeb take no notice, so millions viewers can all enjoy this so called old type comedy,
    And as your first point, that it should not be show, and enjoyed by viewers, what gives you the right to tell me what I can enjoy.

Well said! Some of the "anti" posts on this thread (especially the one you responded to) are infuriatingly patronising. Yes we are all entitled to our own opinion, and I'm always up for a good discussion, but why some posters have to sink to the level of playground name-calling (e.g. questioning the intelligence of people who like the programme) I have no idea. It ruins what could be a healthy, good-humoured debate. Anyway, I'm off to watch the 2 DVD's that my son gave me for Christmas - I've been saving them for a dull January day and I know they will give me more laughs than some of unfunny, up-itself rubbish that passes for comedy these days.
  • jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    doe_a_deer wrote: »
    A couple of points:

Mrs Brown may not be "clever" but it isnt patronising, unlike your post
  • Toffee GuyToffee Guy Posts: 2,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs Brown's Boys may not be to everyone's tastes - but A LOT OF PEOPLE do find it extremely amusing.

If it wasn't a highly successful tv comedy, they would not have been able to make a movie, of which a trailer has just been released. The Mrs Brown's Boys D'Movie is out on June 27th:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yEy1zPEhyc
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched the trailer for the 'D'movie' I for one can't wait, looks really funny.
  • Utopian GirlUtopian Girl Posts: 8,275
    Forum Member
    Absolutely adore Mrs Brown's Boys!:D
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    myscimitar wrote: »
    Just watched the trailer for the 'D'movie' I for one can't wait, looks really funny.

Agreed! It looks like a laugh-a-minute like the TV show and stage show :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    What a brilliant show, has me in stiches from beginning to end. It's well put together, and the actors are a treat to watch. Everything is LIVE, and when the cock-ups come, the reactions are a treat to watch. Brendan O'Carroll writes and performs as Mrs Brown, it's hilarious from beginning to end. Superb TV. Let's have MORE PLEASE.:D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    easyman777 wrote: »
    What a brilliant show, has me in stiches from beginning to end. It's well put together, and the actors are a treat to watch. Everything is LIVE, and when the cock-ups come, the reactions are a treat to watch. Brendan O'Carroll writes and performs as Mrs Brown, it's hilarious from beginning to end. Superb TV. Let's have MORE PLEASE.:D:D:D

Agree, one of the best shows on TV