Options

Channel 4 15,000 Kids and Counting

Comments

• Options
    RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We watched this last night, having just started the process of adoption we found it very interesting, particularly the sort of background any child might come.

The Matthew guy was really beneath contempt, I think Emily looked rather scared at times with him, I wouldn't let him be responsible for making toast let alone looking after a child.

The scene at the end with the (ex?) junkie girls baby smiling had me, a big bloke, holding back a tear.The poor wee thing will be better off in a new home.
  • Options
    FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone watching?
  • Options
    hansuehansue Posts: 14,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I am.
  • Options
    peach45peach45 Posts: 9,426
    Forum Member
    Anyone watching?

Me. Been looking for this thread for ages :(.
  • Options
    xendesktopxendesktop Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do they randomly have some music that sounds like a fire alarm going off on this programme?
  • Options
    james_W85james_W85 Posts: 4,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xendesktop wrote: »
    Why do they randomly have some music that sounds like a fire alarm going off on this programme?

was just wondering that it sounds like my house alarm
  • Options
    horwichallstarshorwichallstars Posts: 16,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm watching ... heartbreaking stuff, just aren't enough adoptive parents
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm watching ... heartbreaking stuff, just aren't enough adoptive parents

The other problem is that adopters mostly want babies and not older children.
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That Lauren sounds so bright for her age. If she's given some decent parents, I bet she excel in school, work, etc.
    I so hope by the end of the programme the social worker finds someone for her and her little brother.
  • Options
    heart of glassheart of glass Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People can be such assholes. Why not give an older child a chance? Why do they always want babies?
  • Options
    FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    peach45 wrote: »
    Me. Been looking for this thread for ages :(.

If you need to find it in future type '15000' in the search bar.
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lauren and her brother would be amazing I really hope if not already this programme will help them find someone.
  • Options
    nvellanvella Posts: 697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People can be such assholes. Why not give an older child a chance? Why do they always want babies?

To be fair the older they are the more likely they are to be disturbed and challenging - which may not show till a bit later. Don't know what the answer is though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even though things have changed wasn't that long ago the press were full of stories "overweight" people banned from adopting. I bet there are loads of people still out there think they wouldn't be considered
  • Options
    hrh7hrh7 Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    xendesktop wrote: »

Yes I wondered that, kept thinking my alarm had gone off.

What a job eh? Having to decide the right parents for these children.
  • Options
    Keith_13Keith_13 Posts: 1,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Had fostering people round yesterday, was told they'd only want to place a teenager with us and not an under 6 as we'd want.

Sadly, we won't be fostering now as I'm not having a teenager with potential issues around my 1 and 2 year old.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If you need to find it in future type '15000' in the search bar.

Thanks. :)
    nvella wrote: »
    To be fair the older they are the more likely they are to be disturbed and challenging - which may not show till a bit later. Don't know what the answer is though.

I'd actually like to see one of these programs focus on the potential adoptive parents themselves. I wonder how many of the people turned down could do a good job if given the chance to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nvella wrote: »

True but I'm sure not every single older child has behavioural problems; that doesn't seem to stop potential adopters completely writing them off though. It's sad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keith_13 wrote: »
    Had fostering people round yesterday, was told they'd only want to place a teenager with us and not an under 6 as we'd want.

Sadly, we won't be fostering now as I'm not having a teenager with potential issues around my 1 and 2 year old.

Thats a shame but unfortunately there are alot if teenagers looking for placements. Not the easiest to look after. I certainly wouldnt want to do it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even the bit with the little boy meeting his two mum was emotional.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aww so happy for them. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crying my eyes out for lauren and her brother bless them.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Do you know they have issues? My sister fosters teens with her little ones. I don't think she's had any issues, and it's been a good experience for them all.

Really good news for Lauren and Liam.. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lauren reminds me so much of my niece really hope it works out for them both and little tommy
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really didn't want to watch the next episode after last week's one, but intrigued as to what happens with Lauren and Liam. I so hope that it goes well for them.

That's a shame; are you sure each adopted teenager will have issues though?? I know my own would adore a little brother/sister.