Options

Lorry driver last night.

PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,304
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'll leave you to decide which word best describes him-stupid, idiotic, selfish or some other word of your choosing. Was on the motorway last night approaching a section where the road was reduced to one lane due to repairs/maintenence of the middle and outside lanes. Ahead of me was a lorry which was straddling the middle and outside lanes and inching back and forth, deliberately trying to block anyone from overtaking him before the carriageway was reduced to the single lane. At no point was he fully in either lane. He moved slightly to the left, leaving just enough room for me to overtake-but when I tried to do so he deliberately pulled across to the right again so I had to slow down or else he would have forced me into the central reservation barrier. When we got through the roadworks and the road opened up again I eventually managed to overtake, he was laughing and giving me a two finger sign as I went past. Got his number, rang 101 and reported him and my mate was going to contact the lorry company and report him there as well-for those of you who really want to know, it was a firm whose name starts with a character associated with Iron Maiden and ends with a character from The Simpsons......I think you can work it out.

Comments

• Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if the lorry was straddling both lanes then it was clearly not safe for you to attempt to overtake.

lorry driver was in the wrong, but you also made the wrong decision in attempting to overtake when you clearly saw what the lorry in front was doing. you put the car and yourself into the situation where it became dangerous.

the sensible thing to have done would be to hold back until clear of any lane restrictions, and then overtake WHEN SAFE TO DO SO.
  • Options
    FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    While chenks is right, you shouldn't have attempted too overtake, I personally would take a lorry driver using his large and heavy vehicle as a barricade for fun, while driving down a motorway, very seriously. Your actions pale in comparison and he should be reported to his employer as he could cause a very serious accident through his stupidity.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the lorry was over 7.5 tonnes (other restrictions also apply) then it should not have been in lane 3 unless lanes 1 and 2 were blocked for some reason. So in theory lane 3 should have been clear for you to use to overtake.

However if he was being an a-hole and deliberately entering lane 3 when he should not be then you should have held back and not placed yourself at risk. Unless you are driving one of these of course :)

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/upload/24297/images/01VolvoPoliceCar.jpg
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    If the lorry was over 7.5 tonnes (other restrictions also apply) then it should not have been in lane 3 unless lanes 1 and 2 were blocked for some reason. So in theory lane 3 should have been clear for you to use to overtake.

However if he was being an a-hole and deliberately entering lane 3 when he should not be then you should have held back and not placed yourself at risk. Unless you are driving one of these of course :)

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/upload/24297/images/01VolvoPoliceCar.jpg

What a Volvo? They still made like tanks then?
  • Options
    CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    he was preventing idiots like you zooming past a line of queuing traffic and trying to barge in to that line of traffic when the roadworks start and the lanes go from 3 to 2, or 3 to 1.

have you not been driving long, never noticed well intentioned lorry drivers doing this manouvre before ? happens all the time, more power to them.
  • Options
    A321A321 Posts: 6,363
    Forum Member
    Eddie Homer?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fizix wrote: »
    What a Volvo? They still made like tanks then?

How about this one then? :D

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2006/11/lamborghini_murcielago_cop1-l.jpg
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw a car ploughed into the back of an ASDA lorry, on the M62 the other night (was on the other side, but the tailback on the westbound side went on forever). I can't find it reported online, though, and when I googled "ASDA lorry and M62" found an alarming number of people having filmed (alleged) dangerous driving by lorry drivers on the M62. But can't find out what happened.
  • Options
    Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    A321 wrote: »
    Eddie Homer?

Bruce Wiggum.
  • Options
    A321A321 Posts: 6,363
    Forum Member
    Dan Sette wrote: »
    Bruce Wiggum.

Better. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, yes, oh good god yes! I'd be a traffic cop if they gave me that! I'd be all like "bring it on crims! Try me!"
  • Options
    Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thatcher Santa's Little Helper?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fizix wrote: »
    Yes, yes, oh good god yes! I'd be a traffic cop if they gave me that! I'd be all like "bring it on crims! Try me!"

Trouble is you have to start out in one of these :D

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/05/19/article-0-09A77597000005DC-783_634x413.jpg
  • Options
    LifeisGoodLifeisGood Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Centaurion wrote: »
    he was preventing idiots like you zooming past a line of queuing traffic and trying to barge in to that line of traffic when the roadworks start and the lanes go from 3 to 2, or 3 to 1.

have you not been driving long, never noticed well intentioned lorry drivers doing this manouvre before ? happens all the time, more power to them.

I've seen lorrys do this before, but it doesn't make it right. By blocking lanes, they are deliberately causing an obstruction, which they have no right to do.

Taking it further by deliberately swinging to the right when someone is overtaking is a very dangerous and reckless manoeuvre.

The OP didn't mention queuing traffic, so as far as we are aware, this was just a case of the lorry driver blocking the road to stop himself being overtaken.
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't get lorries' constant obsession with overtaking eachother. You will see one pull into the middle lane, ostensibly to 'overtake' then just sit there for five minutes as they can't do it anyway, or can't do it quickly and efficiently. What's that about? All that effort and risking other road users' lives, just to be a few yards ahead of where they were anyway as the overtaken lorry then immediately re-overtakes?
  • Options
    LifeisGoodLifeisGood Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    I don't get lorries' constant obsession with overtaking eachother. You will see one pull into the middle lane, ostensibly to 'overtake' then just sit there for five minutes as they can't do it anyway, or can't do it quickly and efficiently. What's that about? All that effort and risking other road users' lives, just to be a few yards ahead of where they were anyway as the overtaken lorry then immediately re-overtakes?

Yes I hate this too! One lorry doing 59mph and the overtaking one doing 59.5mph, uphill (as is often the case) >:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Haha, I wouldn't mind that either tbh, but for totally different reasons. :D
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LifeisGood wrote: »
    I've seen lorrys do this before, but it doesn't make it right. By blocking lanes, they are deliberately causing an obstruction, which they have no right to do.

Taking it further by deliberately swinging to the right when someone is overtaking is a very dangerous and reckless manoeuvre.

The OP didn't mention queuing traffic, so as far as we are aware, this was just a case of the lorry driver blocking the road to stop himself being overtaken.

Thanks for your responses. There weren't really any queues to get into the single lane as such. Looking back at it I can see I'd have been a lot safer to hang back. He'd moved over to the left so was basically in the centre lane but his right hand wheels were slightly over the lane markers so he was protruding into the outside lane, however it looked as though there was sufficient room to overtake him if he'd continued in a straight line. Anyway as I mentioned I got his number and reported him on 101 so hopefully the local police spotted and stopped him-although it's one of those cases where you'll probably never know the outcome.
  • Options
    Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    Merge in turn. Great in theory, but in reality most are used as a grand prix track to race past as many cars as possible.
  • Options
    I, CandyI, Candy Posts: 3,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lorry drivers must have money to burn. On several occasions I've been at a lay-by and watched one chuck an almost-full 1.5 litre bottle of apple juice out the cab window.
  • Options
    dmpdmp Posts: 3,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I, Candy wrote: »
    Lorry drivers must have money to burn. On several occasions I've been at a lay-by and watched one chuck an almost-full 1.5 litre bottle of apple juice out the cab window.
    I don't think you'll find that it was apple juice. How do you think they go for 4.5hours without stopping.:D
    Dave
  • Options
    Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is that the sound of whooshing I hear? :D
  • Options
    Dan100Dan100 Posts: 2,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deb Arkle wrote: »
    Is that the sound of whooshing I hear? :D