Forum Member
    Leeah wrote: »
    Oh balls!! I thought CC was back, I miss him :o:cry:

I miss him too :p
  • Options
    BluescopeBluescope Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't eat meat on good friday mainly because it was a family thing when growing up we where not allowed. Not sure why I kept it going but I have so it will be fish. I might even treat myself to a Fish and Chip supper even tho I am on a diet :).
  • Options
    brbbrb Posts: 27,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you've got no probs with the new gov guideline of...what is it now...10 veg per day?
    As a veggie can you and do you do that.
    My brain starts to fart a lot at the thought of combining any more than 5 veg per serving.
    I think even Gordon or Jamie could struggle to pull that off every day.

Hmm, depends. We follow a raw vegan diet 3 days a week. So on those 3 days, we easily eat 10 portions, but on normal eating days, there is no way in hell I get even close, haha.
  • Options
    hellsTinkerbellhellsTinkerbell Posts: 9,871
    Forum Member
    brb wrote: »
    Hmm, depends. We follow a raw vegan diet 3 days a week. So on those 3 days, we easily eat 10 portions, but on normal eating days, there is no way in hell I get even close, haha.

Good stuff.
    Do you eat anything non veg?
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thought that dietary laws were for other religions.
  • Options
    DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't eat meat myself, so won't be eating it tomorrow. I will be cooking it for my children though.
  • Options
    ROWLING2010ROWLING2010 Posts: 3,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So all the good religious folk queuing up at the chippy for their fish supper that's cooked in animal fat?
  • Options
    MissWalfordMissWalford Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So all the good religious folk queuing up at the chippy for their fish supper that's cooked in animal fat?

I think they're cooked in vegetable oil normally?:confused:
  • Options
    November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    I was raised catholic and I'm having a roast tomorrow, oppsies.

I was raised Catholic too but I shall be having chicken tomorrow. :D

Actually I completely forgot it was Good Friday tomorrow, even though I knew it was Easter Weekend. :blush:
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well there goes my bloody fry up tomorrow morning (afternoon) then >:(

naw

not really
    :D
  • Options
    ROWLING2010ROWLING2010 Posts: 3,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they're cooked in vegetable oil normally?:confused:

Animal fat here at my local chippy.
  • Options
    hellsTinkerbellhellsTinkerbell Posts: 9,871
    Forum Member
    I think i'll make a katsu curry for dinner(Friday)
  • Options
    MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jakobjoe wrote: »
    i wont eat meat on good friday as its important to preserve our traditions..ill be having fish probably but then i dont eat much meat these days anyway

So if you're having fish, you will be eating meat then?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    I've already eaten bacon. I'm a bad catholic :D
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mum won't entertain the idea of eating anything other than fish on Good Friday, despite not having set foot inside a church in I don't know how many years. She's not Catholic, but her own mum was very religious and I think it comes from that. Personally I find it hypocritical bollocks, but each to their own.
  • Options
    mrsdaisychainmrsdaisychain Posts: 3,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We are having quorn chicken pieces in a stir fry. It's delicious.
    We use quorn mince too for spaghetti Bol and we are not all veggies.
    I have never eaten meat on Good Friday though, that's my choice.
  • Options
    GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Even if it wasn't fish is still meat. I hate the hypocritical view that suggests otherwise.
  • Options
    kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    Can I just ask those people who are delighting in telling people well if you're eating fish you're still eating meat.

If you were to go to a restaurant and the food offered was meat, would you be expecting to receive a fish?
  • Options
    MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kitty86 wrote: »
    Can I just ask those people who are delighting in telling people well if you're eating fish you're still eating meat.

If you were to go to a restaurant and the food offered was meat, would you be expecting to receive a fish?

It is not unknown for restaurants to be under the misapprehension that fish is not a meat and label items on their menu that contain fish as suitable for vegetarians (even though fish is meat and it isn't suitable for vegetarians).

People don't generally go to a restaurant and order 'meat' though, do they? They are generally a bit more specific. If I did do that (although I wouldn't) and got some sort of fish, I'd be fine with that since fish is meat.
  • Options
    kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    Moggio wrote: »
    It is not unknown for restaurants to be under the misapprehension that fish is not a meat and label items on their menu that contain fish as suitable for vegetarians (even though fish is meat and it isn't suitable for vegetarians).

People don't generally go to a restaurant and order 'meat' though, do they? They are generally a bit more specific. If I did do that (although I wouldn't) and got some sort of fish, I'd be fine with that since fish is meat.

Yeah of course you would. If you google is fish meat? There are many different arguments for and against. Some people say yes, some people say no. It all comes down to personal preference, I just don't know what you are trying to achieve by pulling people up on what they are eating on Good Friday, what's the point? People think differently to you, shock horror.
  • Options
    cantoscantos Posts: 7,368
    Forum Member

I cannot think of any chippy in my area that fries using animal fat.

It is normally Vegetable oil,sunflower seed oil and olive oil.
  • Options
    Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We always had fish on Friday when I was a child, and I have kept up the tradition for my family. If nothing else, it is one day out of seven when you don't have to think what to cook, and you can plan the rest of the week around it. I think it started a long time ago, when fish was very cheap; peasants were paid on a Saturday and, by the following Friday, they had very little money left.
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am eating meat, because as far as I am concerned this day is nothing special any more than any other day of the year, so why not eat meat, I say.
  • Options
    The FBIThe FBI Posts: 2,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not eating meat.

And very relieved to see this is an old thread. ...don't want that freak Chris back
  • Options
    outof theparkoutof thepark Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    Caxton wrote: »
    I am eating meat, because as far as I am concerned this day is nothing special any more than any other day of the year, so why not eat meat, I say.
    Of course not, but there other countries in the world who do abide by traditions that they like to respect ..why do the brits have turkey and mince pies on christmas day?:)
    the tradition of not eating meat comes from the period of lent, where no meat should be consumed over that period ..its a bit of a religous thing, the fast is broken on easter day with lamb.
    Of course most people dont abide by it,and if you dont understand what it means why should you care