The Beckhams Use Their Wealth To Avoid Being 'Hands-On' Parents

Dennis CDennis C Posts: 1,714
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/news/a333702/david-victoria-beckham-splash-gbp400000-on-harper-seven-childcare.html

Oh, wonderful! :rolleyes:

Get the hired hands in for the nappy changing and for the feeding, for the dressing and the undressing, etc.... I suppose they'll only take charge of the little one when it's time for photo opportunities on being the fond doting parents who so deeply love their child and their other children...

Wouldn't want the little toddlers being around and in the way when there's conference calls and meetings for new endorsement deals or for getting in with the showbiz neighbours and fresh contacts? So important to be seen with the right people - just wouldn't do if there was a chance of baby crying or relieving itself at inopprtune moments?

Gentle reader, dear beloved reader, am I being too cynical here? Am I misinterpreting the Beckhams' actions here? Would we all behave the same if we had their wealth and ambition? I freely admit, I could be wrong... but am I?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Their kids seem polite, happy and well-adjusted. Whatever they are doing is clearly working.
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Jerrica09 wrote: »
    Their kids seem polite, happy and well-adjusted. Whatever they are doing is clearly working.

Indeed, both my sister and SiL have met the Beckham kids in the course of normal days, both described them as extremely polite, very nice, well adjusted kids - in fact my sister, who's shop they were in, didn't recognise them at all, someone she works with told her after, and said they were probably the nicest kids she'd ever had in the shop - oh, and SiL met with with David when out shopping, again very nice, very polite kids.
  • CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tbh if i had the money i would get all the help i wanted babies are demanding so why not :D
  • DemizdeeroolzDemizdeeroolz Posts: 3,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Victoria is breastfeeding this time as was reported before Harper's arrival then I doubt they would have round- the- clock nannies. They're not newborns for long, it goes by so fast I loved every second of the early months. Each to their own I guess.....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When my own son was at nursery it was evident which children has been raised - so far - by parents and which by a nanny... The ones raised by a nanny were much more self-sufficient (could deal with clothes, blowing their nose, etc) than those 'dragged up' by parents.

I think the important thing is that all matters pertaining to the child are attended to by someone rather than the appalling number of small child who seem to have no adult input in their lives. But is it any wonder when a teen mum (barely more than a child herself) is 'rewarded' for a pregnany by the benefits system and housing departments... just saying.

I DO hope that VB has managed to breastfeed as was her intention and that will, inevitably, involve more hands-on parenting. So what if someone else does the dirty jobs... never counted nappy changing as 'quality time' myself :rolleyes: .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,852
    Forum Member
    The kids know that "mummy" and "daddy" are famous, they probably don't mind who is minding them as long as they get everything they want when they ask for it.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They'll miss out on some of the things their kids will be doing as they're growing. I also think their kids might miss their parents' presence as well.
  • Cody1Cody1 Posts: 2,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When my own son was at nursery it was evident which children has been raised - so far - by parents and which by a nanny... The ones raised by a nanny were much more self-sufficient (could deal with clothes, blowing their nose, etc) than those 'dragged up' by parents.

what a strange thing to say :confused: ive met several brats who need things doing for them raised by nannys !!! ive also met some lovely well mannered children raised by nannys, which is exactly the same as kids raised by 1 parent or 2, they all differ in terms of politeness/development/ but its down to the individual person who is raising them regardless of it been a nanny/parent/ grandparent/ guardian or friend.

:)
  • CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    This is hardly a new thing. People have been "using their wealth to avoid being hands on parents" for centuries.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cryolemon wrote: »
    This is hardly a new thing. People have been "using their wealth to avoid being hands on parents" for centuries.

True. I can just imagine the very well off Victorians using their wealth to get nannies to look after their bairns as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a working mum both my children went to nursery from a young age. The most criticism for this I got was from stay at home mums. I rarely have come across the mums of nursery children criticising the opposite.

Whilst not a huge fan of the beckhams, on this I wouldn't criticise. They are working parents who need help.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Beckhams really cant win at all can they? There are always pictures of David doing something with the boys so its not like he never sees them! The children are usually at the football games showing their support. There were many pictures of Victoria and the boys before she had the baby.

Employing 3 nannies - who may be all be doing an 8hr shift each (covering 'round the clock' 24hr care) rather than 3 at the same time - is quite a good idea when both parents work and you have another 3 older children to look out for as well.

Can any parent out there say they have never wanted extra help? The difference between the beckhams and rest of us is that they are able to afford the help they want. I dont believe that any of the Beckham children will be neglected or starved of parental attention. They seem a very close knit family.

(All this from someone who is NOT a brand beckham fan at all!!)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jude1979 wrote: »
    The Beckhams really cant win at all can they? There are always pictures of David doing something with the boys so its not like he never sees them! The children are usually at the football games showing their support. There were many pictures of Victoria and the boys before she had the baby.

Employing 3 nannies - who may be all be doing an 8hr shift each (covering 'round the clock' 24hr care) rather than 3 at the same time - is quite a good idea when both parents work and you have another 3 older children to look out for as well.

Can any parent out there say they have never wanted extra help? The difference between the beckhams and rest of us is that they are able to afford the help they want. I dont believe that any of the Beckham children will be neglected or starved of parental attention. They seem a very close knit family.

If it's only for a rest, fine. I just can't be doing with wealthy parents who hand their bairns over to nannies when they're at home. Nothing against nannies looking after the bairns when mother and father are at work.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    If it's only for a rest, fine. I just can't be doing with wealthy parents who hand their bairns over to nannies when they're at home. Nothing against nannies looking after the bairns when mother and father are at work.

I quite agree. Wonder if the kids in these situations think at first that the nannies are their mothers because they see more of them their own mothers?
  • Rose*~*Rose*~* Posts: 7,008
    Forum Member
    Not all that long ago, wealthy women would not even breastfeed their own children but get so called wet nurses to do that for them. Not a lot has changed really....
  • Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jude1979 wrote: »

I completely agree. I could never stand David Beckham when he was at Man Utd (biased I suppose as a LFC fan) but as he's got older, he and Victoria have really grown on me. They seem like completely devoted parents and everything I've heard about their children suggests that they're polite, well-adjusted young boys that anybody would be proud to have as their sons.
  • fifilapewfifilapew Posts: 4,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rose*~* wrote: »
    Not all that long ago, wealthy women would not even breastfeed their own children but get so called wet nurses to do that for them. Not a lot has changed really....

This was because breastfeeding stops you ovulating. The aristocracy wanted their women to get on with the important task of making more sons as quickly as possible.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »

Some of the great leaders of the past hardly ever saw their parents because they went to boarding school whilst parents were away working in the Empire. Others had nannies, governesses etc to take care of the children.

Some came out of it problems whilst other grew up just fine as happens with children of normal parents some of who are with them every day and others away at work all day.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rose*~* wrote: »

Often because they had to work. It was not uncommon for infant to be given various mixtures containing things like laudanum so the children would be docile whilst mother worked. This often led to death through malnutrition. Of course the children would soon start work themselves.
  • Tulip19Tulip19 Posts: 3,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jerrica09 wrote: »

I agree.

I'd venture to say they are among the nicest celebrity kids.
  • RetrospectiveRetrospective Posts: 3,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    goldiloks wrote: »

Whilst not a huge fan of the beckhams, on this I wouldn't criticise. They are working parents who need help.

What is it exactly that Victoria works at?:confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,449
    Forum Member
    my hatred for VB has diminished over the years - I still wish she'd smile more and think she's a bit pathetic for turning a blind eye to David's wanderings but the kids seem pretty well behaved and happy (although we all wait with baited breath until we see Brooklyn falling pissed out of a nightclub)
  • Tulip19Tulip19 Posts: 3,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cryolemon wrote: »

Indeed. :D
  • Joanne yyJoanne yy Posts: 2,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dennis C wrote: »
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/news/a333702/david-victoria-beckham-splash-gbp400000-on-harper-seven-childcare.html

Get the hired hands in for the nappy changing and for the feeding, for the dressing and the undressing, etc.... I suppose they'll only take charge of the little one when it's time for photo opportunities on being the fond doting parents who so deeply love their child and their other children...

Wouldn't want the little toddlers being around and in the way when there's conference calls and meetings for new endorsement deals or for getting in with the showbiz neighbours and fresh contacts? So important to be seen with the right people - just wouldn't do if there was a chance of baby crying or relieving itself at inopprtune moments?

Gentle reader, dear beloved reader, am I being too cynical here? Am I misinterpreting the Beckhams' actions here? Would we all behave the same if we had their wealth and ambition? I freely admit, I could be wrong... but am I?

Why shouldn't they employ an army of nannies etc. if they want to ?? They both work long hours, their money is their own, they are not on state benefits are they ?? Their children seem to be well adjusted. Victoria IMO is a sensible person, coming from a very stable family background !! She has four children after all, under the age of 12 !!
  • fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dennis C wrote: »

There maybe plenty to criticise the Beckhams about, but not their parenting. Those boys appear well behaved and loved.
    What new parent would not turn down the chance of someone to take over the night feeds?