Options

Oscar Pistorius Bail Hearing Begins

Comments

• Options
    GinaHGinaH Posts: 853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Businessman and friend of Oscar Pistorius Kenny Kunene tells Sky News that the court proceedings have taken a "serious toll" on his family and friends.
  • Options
    cal4751cal4751 Posts: 996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    Would an application for bail happen in the UK for a murder charge? His showbiz status released him. If he wasn't high profile then he be sat in prison for months before trial.

Totally agree. Good point.
  • Options
    Rare GrooveRare Groove Posts: 406
    Forum Member
    occy wrote: »
    Would an application for bail happen in the UK for a murder charge? His showbiz status released him. If he wasn't high profile then he be sat in prison for months before trial.

Yes it would happen in UK. Wake me up when the Brits send Shrein Dewani to SA:yawn:
  • Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pootmatoot wrote: »
    It's not a 3rd World backwater. Of course they have the refrigeration facilities needed, especially in a murder case.

Why would they want to keep the body after the post mortem. As long as the pm had been properly conducted, photos taken, bullet trajectories measured, etc., then there is no reason ( in this case) why it cannot be then released to the family.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    francie wrote: »
    So if OP is not allowed to go back home, not have access to guns (presumably if he is staying at his parents house his father will have to be careful re his) I wonder how safe he is going to feel if he is as paranoid as the media have made out?

I think he is pretty paranoid. This would support that and also testify to his thinking during this tragic incident

Source
    According to The New York Times in January last year, Pistorius mentioned in an interview with reporter Michael Sokolove that a security alarm in the house had gone off the previous night, and he had grabbed his gun and went downstairs.

“I asked what kind of gun he owned,” Sokolove wrote.

Sokolove described how the Blade Runner fetched his 9mm handgun and two boxes of ammunition and drove them to a nearby shooting range, “where he instructed me on proper technique. Pistorius was a good coach”.

Sokolove said Pistorius encouraged him: “If you practised, I think you could be pretty deadly.”
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh funny Brits are saying Oscar getting bail shows SA in a bad light. What about Dewani who is accused by SA authorities of hiring people to kill his wife but is being kept safe in the UK and void extradition because he is depressed:rolleyes:

But nothing new here, UK is a haven for criminals and suspects no wonder even the most hardened criminals and terrorists run for safety in the UK as they wont be extradited

That may be, in your opinion, but we don't have a circus bail application system such as I've just witnessed, in my opinion of course.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sky reporter on live feed just said it was OP's voice shouting yes when bail was granted...

Looks like you are telling fibs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he is pretty paranoid. This would support that and also testify to his thinking during this tragic incident

Source

Dear me :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alex Crawford of Sky tweeted that OP has to refrain from alcohol during proceedings. Does he like a drink?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No, there was a report that some in the court room heard OP quietly say 'yes'. Not sure if that's the yes we heard though. I doubt it.
  • Options
    End-Em-AllEnd-Em-All Posts: 23,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's something about Oscar's brother Carl that leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dezire wrote: »
    Did I hear the judge correctly....did he say that the gun was unlicensed?

yes it was unlicenced
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GinaH wrote: »
    Businessman and friend of Oscar Pistorius Kenny Kunene tells Sky News that the court proceedings have taken a "serious toll" on his family and friends.

I'm sure it has but my sympathy has to go the victim's family on this.
  • Options
    NirvanaGirlNirvanaGirl Posts: 2,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I beg your pardon!! I am NOT telling fibs at all. Go back to my first mention of it and you'll see that another poster heard EXACTLY the same thing I did!

In fact, anyone who had the Sky live feed on would have heard the same thing from the reporters mouth.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    @kristenvanschie
    Correction of that "YES!" It was Fubes Danor, one of Kenny Kunene's* entourage and a friend of #OscarPistorius.

*SA sushi magnate, apparently
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "I think it is important to remember that someone lost their life," Kim Myers, friend of Reeva, reacting to #Pistorius bail.
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought that, it took us two weeks before my brother and sister were returned to us because they were sudden deaths.

As soon as i found out she was cremated, and so soon, it sounded very suspicious.

Lets hope they did a thorough autopsy and report, that it never gets lost, or that the dr who performed it is not awaiting a manslaughter charge.
  • Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are earwitnesses.
    There will be forensics of all kinds I would imagine.
    Investigating officers including Inspector Gadget.

The forensics would take the form of written reports. Any forensics officer making subsequent changes would have a lot of explaining to do to back up any changes.Similarly all police statements cannot be changed although additional info or retractions can be made, again requiring further explanation.

The Inspector doesn't' count as he has been shown to be a bumbling idiot :D
  • Options
    MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    Enough facts have already emerged to make a judgement on whether or not he should have been shooting through that door, or whether or not it was his shots that killed the victim.

The issue in doubt is his state of mind: whether or not he intended to kill.

I lean towards the view that he killed unintentionally but with extreme recklessness, which would probably make him guilty of culpable homicide. The sentence for that ranges from a fine and suspended prison sentence, to several years in jail.

Because of the extreme recklessnessness of his actions, a sentence of around 10 years in jail is appropriate IMO (compared with 15 years to life for premeditated murder). I have no doubt that he will get less than normal though, because of his money and fame, so he may only have to serve a year or two (with remission) and could be out before the next Olympics. He may also be acquitted on technicalities but either way, he will pretty well have got away with it.

So, to summarize, you've convicted him of culpable homicide; determined sentence; called the actual time served (with reasons), and judged that he got away with it whatever the outcome.

Please pm me the winning numbers for the next euromillions draw.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I beg your pardon!! I am NOT telling fibs at all. Go back to my first mention of it and you'll see that another poster heard EXACTLY the same thing I did!

In fact, anyone who had the Sky live feed on would have heard the same thing from the reporters mouth.

Ok I was wrong.

One question, was the sky reporter a woman?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SueG wrote: »
    The Sky Newsreader just said that it was "the voice of Oscar Pistorius" that we heard shout "Yes!" when the judge said he was granting bail. Did she know or did she assume this to be the case I wonder, 'cos earlier in this thread someone said it wasn't him.

Edit:- Oops! Sorry Nirvana Girl I see you've already said that.

As proof I show you the quote from SueG...any time you want to apologise is fine
  • Options
    tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't think you were fibbing. Sky are known for incompetent reporting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

"53% of homicides were linked to gun violence" :eek:.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok I was wrong.

One question, was the sky reporter a woman?

Yes she was, and I know she wasn't actually in the court. I did say that I wasn't sure she was right
This discussion has been closed.