Options

EE home broadband is like dial-up.

Bob_WhingerBob_Whinger Posts: 1,098
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Currently have very slow broadband from EE. I reminds me of Dial-up, having to look out of the window waiting for pages to download. I phoned their helpline. The nice lady in the Philippines I talked to did her best, but still have very slow internet.

Who is the best (fastest) internet company that I can switch to when the EE contract expires in January ?

Comments

• Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you sure it's not a line fault. When I had the same problem with Orange it turned out to be a fault on the line, before that I had always had a good speed.
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,474
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What speed does Samknows say you should be getting?
    http://www.samknows.com/broadband/broadband_checker

What speed are your neighbours getting?
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    Currently have very slow broadband from EE. I reminds me of Dial-up, having to look out of the window waiting for pages to download. I phoned their helpline. The nice lady in the Philippines I talked to did her best, but still have very slow internet.

Who is the best (fastest) internet company that I can switch to when the EE contract expires in January ?

I'm on EE and am not having any problems ... despite having more windows open than a chocoholic's advent calendar ... including iPlayer and the Cowboys vs the Giants on NFL Game Pass!

Their help-line is useless though! :(
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first poster has my sympathy if they're receiving dial-up like speeds. That would seriously get on my nerves. Dial-up speeds makes the internet so unenjoyable.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it is the equivalent of dial up speeds, then it is more than likely is a line fault. It's a safety measure built in to stop the line getting further damage, but allows the user to be able to look at emails, and basic internet usage, I was told this by the openreach engineer who fixed mine.

EE should make you do a number of tests, which will involve plugging directly in to the master socket for 24-48 hours, to see if this improves the speed, they will also probably do checks on your router as well, if this fails, they will probably send you a new router. If the new router doesn't work then they will ask you to repeat the previous steps. Finally the will offer to send out an openreach engineer (if the fault is at your end you will have to pay).

The above happened with me when I was with Orange, took about a week to sort out, but I did get a nice new router off them.
  • Options
    Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    I just switched to EE for broadband and its loads faster than my previous ISP, TalkTalk.

I just wish their mobile phone repair service was as efficient.
  • Options
    xp95xp95 Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    The first poster has my sympathy if they're receiving dial-up like speeds. That would seriously get on my nerves. Dial-up speeds makes the internet so unenjoyable.
    It is very often like that with my Virgin Media connection! :mad:
  • Options
    MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xp95 wrote: »
    It is very often like that with my Virgin Media connection! :mad:

My speed on Virgin will sometimes drop down to very low speeds. I restart the router and modem and suddenly I'm getting double figures again - often 19 mb/s.

I just checked it and it's 3.39 Mb/s out of 20 Mb/s (Broadband speed checker).

Restarting modem and router now.....

15.58 Mb/s...
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    I usually get about 500k on a 3G dongle from EE. Home BT business BB is 500k as well (we live in the sticks). Bail up was about 50k on a good day.
  • Options
    nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It depends on your distance from the exchange (if EE use that) I get 60Mbps on Virgin Media, but if I was on Sky or BT I would be lucky to get 3Mbps.
  • Options
    nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Infact I just checked mine on the EE wesbite, for fibre I would get 62.1Mbps, for normal broadband I would get 3Mbps, could this be your problem?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrQuike wrote: »
    My speed on Virgin will sometimes drop down to very low speeds. I restart the router and modem and suddenly I'm getting double figures again - often 19 mb/s.

I just checked it and it's 3.39 Mb/s out of 20 Mb/s (Broadband speed checker).

Restarting modem and router now.....

15.58 Mb/s...
    Is it by design or something? :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    My neighbour has no end of trouble with Virgin cable. I have a 76mb BT Infinity connection, which I get a constant 74mb sync. No drops out and no loss of service ever.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My neighbour has no end of trouble with Virgin cable. I have a 76mb BT Infinity connection, which I get a constant 74mb sync. No drops out and no loss of service ever.
    I bet your BT connection wouldn't be as reliable if you lived in a rural area! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    I live in a small town of 6000, so it's not the biggest place in the world. I get better speeds here than when I lived in a town of 60000.

As sad as it sounds, I've always said to the wife who has an ambition to live in the country, that we would have to check out the broadband speeds before anything, as it is something I have done every time I move. OK, I work from home so need a decent connection, but equally I increasingly need the extra bandwidth for the whole house to operate when they are online. The amount of connected devices I have is running well into double figures.
  • Options
    MeanMintMeanMint Posts: 454
    Forum Member
    xp95 wrote: »
    I bet your BT connection wouldn't be as reliable if you lived in a rural area! :D

I live in a village of 800 people 6Km from our local exchange. We get infinity and is very reliable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MeanMint wrote: »
    I live in a village of 800 people 6Km from our local exchange. We get infinity and is very reliable.
    Would you ever consider upgrading to FTTH broadband if it ever became available in your area? :confused: