People that upload constant piccies to FB etc.. whilst ON holiday

RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
Forum Member
✭✭✭
What is this all about?

Are they showing off? Trying to make you jealous?

I am not on FB so a friend is WhatsApp'ing me her holiday pics :o

Anyone have friends do this? (and dislike it immensely)

Anyone admit to actually doing this? What are your reasons?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is the difference between uploading irrelevant pictures when you are on holiday and when you are not on holiday? They still are boring pictures that have no interest other than to the person taking it.
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The reason they do it is to advertise to all and sundry that they are on holiday and that their home is available to be burgled. Of course, by advertising the fact that the house in unoccupied, their insurance will not pay up!

Yes, there are some stupid people in this world - just how sure are they that all their "friends" are really friends and not opportunist confidence tricksters?
  • DanniLaMoneDanniLaMone Posts: 2,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I used to be on facebook a friend of mine was on holiday and I asked her what the view was like from her hotel bedroom so she posted it. Her other friends saw it and liked it, I don't think she was showing off just sharing a nice view from her hotel.
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not seeing the major malfunction here.
  • Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 8,987
    Forum Member
    1MJ1 wrote: »
    What is the difference between uploading irrelevant pictures when you are on holiday and when you are not on holiday? They still are boring pictures that have no interest other than to the person taking it.

Probably not much. However, I went to Amsterdam a few years ago on a girls (well, we were all 40 ish) birthday weekend. Every single one except me sat uploading photos of crap on Facebook or updating their status (I think - I am not on it) constantly, every time we were sat down anywhere. I thought the whole point of a holiday was to relax and get away from everyday stuff like updating bloody Facebook. So, from that perspective it's quite different than looking at or sharing photos once you're back home.
  • swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll do it sometimes. (Always)

I don't think it's about showing off, sharing is caring.
    Forum Member
    sweh wrote: »
    I'll do it sometimes. (Always)

I don't think it's about showing off, sharing is caring.

You're assuming those at the other end are really that interested.
  • venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted - misread the OP!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ella Nut wrote: »

I wouldn't be on Facebook if I wasn't interested in the lives of my friends.

I like looking at holiday photos, and, shock horror! baby pictures.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If uploaded to Facebook, those that are interested will look, those who aren't won't. However you will also get some who aren't interested who will look anyway and then enjoy moaning about it afterwards.

It's a modern way of sending a postcard.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

My Facebook is mostly family, and my family are always interested in seeing pictures and being updated on what's happening. It's nothing more sinister than that.

I'm sorry you feel as though people do it to be intentionally goading, but I don't agree with that. On social networks, people share - that's the whole essence of them.
  • MeanMintMeanMint Posts: 454
    Forum Member
    Handy free backup storage for Photos perhaps.
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    epicurian wrote: »
    Not seeing the major malfunction here.

Me neither. I might check into my FB account every three or four months, if that, so I'm very far from being a social media junkie, but I don't take issue with someone messing about on the internet downloading a few pix while on hols.

Of course there are people who just love to show off about their holidays, cars, nice homes and so on, but there equally a lot of people are just posting nice photos that they think (rightly or wrongly) their friends and family might want to see. I quite like looking at friends' holiday photos (as long as they are not accompanied by lengthy, boring anecdotes and lectures on the local culture and customs).

This is in no way aimed at the OP, but I do think that some people have giant chips on their shoulders about others having more money than they do, and therefore jump to conclusions that people are showing off when they really aren't.
    Forum Member
    epicurian wrote: »
    I wouldn't be on Facebook if I wasn't interested in the lives of my friends.

I like looking at holiday photos, and, shock horror! baby pictures.

I'm interested in the lives of my friends, I would just rather they enjoyed their holiday than spending time updating their Facebook pages. Call me old fashioned.
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I admire them. I have no idea how to take a photo and link it directly to Facebook. I assume you would need a posh phone ? I have to take a photo on my camera, download to photobucket, then link. It takes me so long that I generally get to add a photo online approximately once a year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm interested in the lives of my friends, I would just rather they enjoyed their holiday than spending time updating their Facebook pages. Call me old fashioned.

Updating facebook takes seconds, it can be done anywhere. It's hardly going to ruin the enjoyment of their holiday.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even on holiday you will have periods of time when you aren't doing nothing, and since there are so many sources of free wi-fi out there I don't understand why it's so "sad" to go on the computer here and there. I do find it irritating when people take endless snaps and show them ALL off for bragging rights/attention as though they are some tabloid babe, but sometimes there will be interesting photos too, so I'm not massively bothered.
    Forum Member
    sweh wrote: »
    My Facebook is mostly family, and my family are always interested in seeing pictures and being updated on what's happening. It's nothing more sinister than that.

I'm sorry you feel as though people do it to be intentionally goading, but I don't agree with that. On social networks, people share - that's the whole essence of them.

Actually I don't see it as intentionally goading, and I never said that at all. I said people should be enjoying their holiday - what happened to people getting away from it all?! You can share photos and experiences of holidays when you get back. Also, the experience I shared here of the girls weekend was spoiled by the others' incessant updating.
  • PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember the old days when you visited your friends house and they got the photo album out to show you their holiday photographs.

You had to look interested and make all the right noises because you were there in person. At least with Facebook all you have to do is press like.

However, sometimes you used to get the unexpected bonus of a rude snap accidentally making it into the photo album. Your embarrassed hosts would quickly remove the offending photo from view, but you saw it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually I don't see it as intentionally goading, and I never said that at all. I said people should be enjoying their holiday - what happened to people getting away from it all?! You can share photos and experiences of holidays when you get back. Also, the experience I shared here of the girls weekend was spoiled by the others' incessant updating.

I am sure they are still enjoying their holiday. Facebook doesn't stop you enjoying your holiday. Yes you can wait till you get back, you can also do it at the time. What's the difference?
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just find it a bit odd? My friend is halfway round the world, she should be enjoying the experience, not taking selfies every 5 minutes (she is mid 30's by the way)

She sent them to me via WhatsApp as well? with the caption "how are you I'm just fine as you can see?" She knows I am not on FB..

I don't want to think my friend is being spiteful sending pictures of paradise to me at 3pm on a cold Monday afternoon but it all seems so random?

Another friend who is on FB said the whole holiday has been documented with daily updates from start to end (pic's on way to airport, pics on plane in 1st class etc..)

FB turned so many of my adult friends doolally that I deleted my account years ago.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Eh? Then what was this all about? "You're assuming those at the other end are really that interested."

At any rate, I'm sure your friends would rather you not worry yourself over something so trivial.
    Forum Member
    Updating facebook takes seconds, it can be done anywhere. It's hardly going to ruin the enjoyment of their holiday.

Fine. My holiday is for me to relax and not to have to think of what others would like to see or make of it. That's all.
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member

I agree that the experience you shared is daft. Why sit around posting about your holiday when you should be actually enjoying your holiday? It's different, though, when you are just having a bit of downtime on your own in your hotel room or wherever, after the day's activities and before going out for the night, which is when I imagine most sensible people who felt so inclined would go online.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Technology has changed, times have changed!

I completely understand your point that people should leave the gadgets well alone and enjoy the sites, but they don't have to if they choose not to. It takes zero effort to take a picture on your phone and upload it live or do some uploading at night in the hotel using the wifi. In all honestly, it isn't as time consuming or as cumbersome and you might imagine.

It's unfortunate that your weekend was spoilt, I know many people who think their dinner is spoilt when they see five people pull out their phones before anyone can eat and yell, "INSTAGRAM!"
    Sadly, it's how things are now. You are more than welcome to vent your frustration at the way the world is becoming, but the evolution has already begun... Dun, dun, dun.