Options

If Bruce was to leave - who would you like to replace him?

123457»

Comments

• Options
    dachsedachse Posts: 582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How about Sir Cliff Richard?

WHAT???? isn't he older than Brucie - lol
  • Options
    DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Bruce was to leave - who would you like to replace him?

Someone/anyone (with the exception of Claudia Winkleman) would be an improvement imho.:)
  • Options
    Tall PaulTall Paul Posts: 8,786
    Forum Member
    Mr_Eye wrote: »
    They need to take this opportunity to sack Tess Daly.

The bosses wont get rid of tess I can vouch for that. :) ;-)
  • Options
    strictlydivastrictlydiva Posts: 720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like tess. I think that she does a good job! Claudia is fab to!
  • Options
    fatskiafatskia Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What if they can't find anyone better to replace Bruce?

Obviously, Bruce was hired because he was the best person they could get to do the job. You don't just go from numero uno in the business to unsuitable because you have been in showbusiness for 70 years instead of 69.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fatskia wrote: »
    What if they can't find anyone better to replace Bruce?

Obviously, Bruce was hired because he was the best person they could get to do the job. You don't just go from numero uno in the business to unsuitable because you have been in showbusiness for 70 years instead of 69.

Each to their own, but I can't understand anyone thinking that he was "the best person" for the job when in reality, he actually became the "worst person."

I guess it's because many people think this as a purely "entertainment" programme, as if the dance element and the progress of the contestants, are a less significant part of the show.

Bruce obviously saw it that way and tried to "make the show his own."

There are many who would settle for a low-profile compere, as that's all the actual job requires.

Introduce the couples, then shut up and get out of the way.
    The show doesn't need "selling." It has a momentum of its own now.

For those who like Bruce, there's repeats of his old game shows from twenty years ago, when he was doing what he did best, on one of the digital channels.
  • Options
    Grumpy_AlanGrumpy_Alan Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...There are many who would settle for a low-profile compere, as that's all the actual job requires.

Introduce the couples, then shut up and get out of the way. [my emphasis]
    The show doesn't need "selling." ...

Agreed!
  • Options
    VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are stuck. Du Beke can't tell jokes and knows too much about dancing not to try and be the fifth judge. Claudia is terribly indisciplined, and a turn off for many. Barrowman is even more annoying, and would try to take over as judge and main focus of the show. . Walsh and Conley are both doing well in their careers elsewhere - but someone like that, who has done musical theatre, would be able to cover the dancing too. . Norton could present it - he did well on the ALW shows, and had rapport with the contestants, and an appropriately detached relationship with the judges.- but he knows nothing about dancing.

Unless she wants a change, Tess has to stay and has been running the show to schedule well for years. They need a competent female and there's not that many, and none are better. She effectively should rule out Claudia - as they won't want two females , and Tess would end up doing everything vital anyway.

Who they put with her is their problem. They will either have to come up with a very good idea , or we they may just give up and just give us what they first think of - which could be Anton or Claudia, regardless.

So it's a point against Anton that he can't tell a joke, but not against Tess that she can't tell one?

I find it hard to believe that there are no better female presenters than Tess; and she hasn't been running the show for years, regardless of whether it's to schedule or not.

I think Tess has been one of the worst things about SCD and makes for painful viewing whenever she has to interact with contestants. She can just about handle the parts that are little more than reading an autocue.
  • Options
    YeraYera Posts: 6,200
    Forum Member
    Sir Bruce is on the Paul O Grady Show this afternoon talking about his strictly departure
  • Options
    latinlouloulatinloulou Posts: 3,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yera wrote: »
    Sir Bruce is on the Paul O Grady Show this afternoon talking about his strictly departure

And before that he's on R2 Steve Wright's show - although I think it's Patrick Keilty presenting today.
  • Options
    memmhmemmh Posts: 14,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are many who would settle for a low-profile compere, as that's all the actual job requires.
    Introduce the couples, then shut up and get out of the way.
    The show doesn't need "selling." It has a momentum of its own now.
    I think the fact that Strictly was presented by Bruce way back at the beginning did play a part in making Strictly a success. There's a reason why Bruce Forsyth was known as "Mr Saturday Night Entertainment," after all. However, it's been obvious for quite a few years now that it's become too much for him and he has actually been painful to watch and listen to.

Strictly is now an established show and is more than capable of standing on its own. It doesn't need a so-called "big name" entertainer-style presenter. It just needs a presenter. Tess actually does a very good job with that - better than she does in the Tesspit - and the show is slicker and more professional. The emphasis is on the contestants and, without the long, rambling monologues from Bruce, there's more time for the judges to give feedback. Giving the judges more time to talk means that there's better opportunity for the judges to give feedback that's more than just a snappy soundbite. (It doesn't always work that way in practice, but the opportunity is there.)

On the other hand, Claudia's quirky style actually works well with the contestants in the Tesspit, just like it did on ITT. I don't think she'd be right as the main presenter but moving Tess up to main presenter and leaving Claudia in Tess' old role should definitely work. For those of us who liked the Tess/Claudia combination in previous series, it's already been proven to work!
  • Options
    Wrenny-24Wrenny-24 Posts: 9,373
    Forum Member
    memmh wrote: »
    I think the fact that Strictly was presented by Bruce way back at the beginning did play a part in making Strictly a success. There's a reason why Bruce Forsyth was known as "Mr Saturday Night Entertainment," after all. However, it's been obvious for quite a few years now that it's become too much for him and he has actually been painful to watch and listen to.

Strictly is now an established show and is more than capable of standing on its own. It doesn't need a so-called "big name" entertainer-style presenter. It just needs a presenter. Tess actually does a very good job with that - better than she does in the Tesspit - and the show is slicker and more professional. The emphasis is on the contestants and, without the long, rambling monologues from Bruce, there's more time for the judges to give feedback. Giving the judges more time to talk means that there's better opportunity for the judges to give feedback that's more than just a snappy soundbite. (It doesn't always work that way in practice, but the opportunity is there.)

On the other hand, Claudia's quirky style actually works well with the contestants in the Tesspit, just like it did on ITT. I don't think she'd be right as the main presenter but moving Tess up to main presenter and leaving Claudia in Tess' old role should definitely work. For those of us who liked the Tess/Claudia combination in previous series, it's already been proven to work!

Great post memmh! :) I agree with all of this. If GN is out of the picture, then Tess as main presenter and Claudia in the Tosspit is what I would like to see.
  • Options
    Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    And before that he's on R2 Steve Wright's show - although I think it's Patrick Keilty presenting today.
    He's on everything at the moment. You have to be careful when you turn on the |TV or radio in case he's on.